Let's talk about BGA Chip suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about BGA Chip suppliers

Yeah that's refurbished judging by the looks of the substrate sides and the underfill… A bit too much cooked to my liking. But if it at least works…
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I only buy from SEE-IC and I have been at their office 3 times. I visit them once every year. One more secret (they will also tell you), they give even better prices when you come visit them in person.

Goldenchipset (HKLRF) is another OK option but they wouldn't tell me if the chip is removed from motherboard. They will sell all of them as new. I also went to their office and no special prices like SEE-IC.
      Last edited by razor_amd; 12-07-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

SEE-IC often has no recent chip, for example it has nothing from the GP107-400-A1 GTX 1050ti up to the RTX series models.
        I think hklrfis is a good seller
        Last edited by jasko_jacker; 12-07-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

The thing is that their boss doesn't want to buy chip from any supplier in the Huaqiang marketplace in ShenZhen. He only acquires and sells IC's of good and proven quality. That is the reason they don't offer every chip.

I went to the marketplace myself, and there is every chip you can think of there, but you don't know what you're buying.

Goldenchipset (HKLRF) sold me refurbished chips while I was in China marketed as brand new... Then I went to SEE-IC and saw their brand new chips (same ones), difference was obvious. 3 of 5 GPU's 216-0833000 were not working bought from Goldenchipset.

Comment

problem with see-ic is shipping price. i live in a remote area according to dhl. while see-ic charge me 60$ for 3 day dhl shipping, goldenchipset charged me 17$ for same 3 day dhl shipping....

if i need to buy many chips, see-ic could be positive, but more chip more custom risk... so less chip, less shipping price and less custom risk is in favour of goldenchipset.

Comment

Negotiate the price. I have fixed 35$ DHL for order of any IC. And if I add something bigger, like flux, kapton tape, couple of keyboards, etc, I ended up paying about 45$ max.

Comment

Originally posted by razor_amd View Post
                The thing is that their boss doesn't want to buy chip from any supplier in the Huaqiang marketplace in ShenZhen. He only acquires and sells IC's of good and proven quality. That is the reason they don't offer every chip.

I went to the marketplace myself, and there is every chip you can think of there, but you don't know what you're buying.

Goldenchipset (HKLRF) sold me refurbished chips while I was in China marketed as brand new... Then I went to SEE-IC and saw their brand new chips (same ones), difference was obvious. 3 of 5 GPU's 216-0833000 were not working bought from Goldenchipset.
                I'm talking about new chips for 100- 200 euros each (GPU or hight end CPU) why see-ic doesn't find these new chips on the market?
                Personally I only repair recent hight end notebooks (two or three years) and I never find the chip that I need to see-ic. On hlfr I can only say that when I have ordered very expensive chips they were always new and never reconditioned. I even buying something from other sellers, on mouser something is found (the prices are obviously double or triple compared to ebay but quality is not discussed). However if I only suspect that they are reconditioned (some microscopic scratches are not easy to hide as well as the color or small differences on the writing on the die or if they are purchased more than one they must be in the same reel and with progressive numbers) I send them back.
                With notebooks that are worth little, I always advise the customer to buy a used but working motherboard, I earn less but I also have fewer problems in the future.
                Last edited by jasko_jacker; 12-19-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Some time ago I bought this on mouser as you can see it is placed inside an antistatic bag not inside a piece of cardboard.
                  The cost is three times higher than in ebay (see-ic, etc).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since we are in this thread for discussion. I was looking into a good BGA rework station for these GPU CPU purposes for a lot of our MacBooks in stock that need BGA work. Can you suggest a good BGA Rework station and Stencils as well? Also to add to this, would like to have a supplier you recommend for BGA chips you trust and a link to them so I can purchase from them more often. Also thanks love the Forum here!
                    Last edited by Stephen; 04-27-2020, 01:10 PM.
                    sigpic
                    MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

SEE-IC as supplier. But if these Macbooks are the infamous 2011 ones, let them go, those AMD GPU chips have been out of stock for years now. If you ask Suny over at SEE she will tell you the truth, other sellers will happily take your money and deliver you chips that have been pulled out of boards taken out of the trash, polished and remarked to be "new", which will only give you headaches.

The BGA station I would recommend as a starting point would be the Honton HT-R392. Anything smaller will not be able to deal with the thick Macbook boards. For stencils you want the 80x80 or 90x90 ones, direct heat are a royal pain with balls smaller than 0.5mm.

To be completely honest, I don't think BGA rework makes economical sense nowadays on most boards. With ultra-low voltage CPUs the PCH is integrated, and the PCH side loves to short out, reballing will not accomplish anything in this case so you would have to replace the CPU. They are very sensitive and the cost of a CPU from a trusted supplier is maybe around $30 to $50 lower than getting a working used mainboard.

Maybe on Macbooks price of mainboards is still high enough to justify such rework and learning all the skills involved, I don't know as I have not been following them. With PC laptops this has not been economically viable for quite a while now.
                      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-03-2020, 11:26 PM.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Well even see-ic sell some garbage sometimes. Random used chips with leftover solder on leads and a bent one sold as new, obviously remarked chip… Last one I got is an RS880M that seems to be an engineering sample or something, PCI id of 1002:9711 instead of 1002:9712. Technically I think it's new and it is working (after forcing installation of the drivers), but still not something you expect from a trusted seller. And they sold loads of bad HD6000M in the past as everyone did.
                        But sadly it's right that there are no better ones in this world.

As for stencils I use direct heat only even with 0.3mm balls, never got anything done with indirect heat so I guess everyone has their preferred method. Still looking for a good direct heat Skylake-H/BGA1440 stencil though…
                        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

i ordered both see-ic and goldenchipset.. on both seller got some non working bga, but while i have lower pice for bga and ship from gioldenchipset, i have much more costs from see-ic. last time i wanted to order one chip from see-ic by skype conversation.... the customer told me for one bga, even if i wanted not the most expensive express ship, but some cheaper express ship by some ems or so they told me to get it from ebay even with slow ship. i did so and after 2 months of waiting.. they refound me for non working tracking and no delivered chip. i had to order it from goldenchipset. arrived after 3 days, soldered and bga was seen from device manager, but as soon i install driver, bga become really hot and pc become very unstable and slow. that ended up disabling ati vga and let pc run with intel integrated vga only.

for rework station.... dont need that high end machine, but maybe for macbook that dont have bga position mark a good semi automatic machine could come in hand.

i do use rework machine many times , and have already paied it back just after less then one year or using it. ofcourse u have to invest some money on search good profile, good reballing method, but 99% of success is a good diagnostic of the problem. start doing reballling on a non working pc could make trouble even worse.

i also prefer dh stencil, much easier to do. i use normal stencil only for big chip with balls from 0.5 to 0.6mm. for 0.45 and lower i always go dh only.
                          good flux and equipment is important in this job, try yourself the best and look for some tutorial on how to do something professionally.

Comment

I'm trying to find a reliable Uk source for BGA Chips.
                            I'm working in a Toshiba C50 that needs one now

Comment

I'm triyng to find a intel chip seller. Both SEE-ic and GoldenChipset form aliexpress seem to not have them. Any other sellers?

Comment

Which chip are you looking for?
                                lately i bought from https://parts4laptops.eu/en/ but only very recent chips.
                                You can buy good bga (really new) but only in production and very expensive at mouser .
                                For old bga the best in my opinion is to remove from donor board.

Comment

When i need to replace cpu or gpu or pch ...i mostly order reballed chip from china, but lately there are more broken ones then working.
                                  So lately i tried with ebay "not working motherboards". I ordered a few broken motherboards from ebay but i have found out that there are many scammers on ebay. The most of them are selling already destroyed motherboards with pictures in low resolution, some of them are being scammed and just scam forwarding...
                                  First board i ordered last month was ok. Cpu was dead but i could use gpu and pch. The second arrived 2 weeks ago...and it was shorted everywhere...traces of soldering all over the board, mosfets, resistors, caps missing, gpu clearly cooked in bakery and so on. The photograph seller posted was in very low resolution but on first he seemed ok because the other items he was selling were shoes...I ask him on private what is it with the board? he told me that it was dead and he just bought new one and replaced that old. Now i confronted him... and he is telling lies like "i replaced the motherboard" in the repair shop and maybe they were trying to fix it and so on... and in the end he told me ..:"on auction it was clearly stated that motherboard is not working"
                                  My question is (because i dont have expirience with ebay) can i open dispute? i mean he did wrote that item is defective but never "missing componens" "tried to repair" and so on...Or i just should forget about it and accept i was scammed?
                                  And if its so do you have any tip in the future to insure that these thing will never happen again?

Comment

Working...
                                  X