Toshiba L50-A no 640x480 resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba L50-A no 640x480 resolution

I put this in the computer displays forum but didn't get an answer. I am hoping for better here.

I am a noob at this so sorry if it sounds like nonsense.

I replaced the screen of this laptop (Toshiba L50-A) with a different brand of screen but with exactly the same specs. All I got on the screen were two shades of grey split horizontally. The supplier says the EDID needs repair.
    The symptoms are :
    There is no Toshiba splash, no access to the bios and, because windows uses 640x480 in the start up, I can't install windows. There is no display on an external monitor for the same reason.

I was able to install linux mint as linux must use higher resolution or bypass the edid somehow for their installation.

When Linux boots I go to a grey screen, as mentioned, before the higher resolution drivers are loaded and then i get the linux splash screen and a normal boot from there.

Linux mint is fine for me but the laptop belongs to a "windows friend" and one day access to the bios may be needed. Is there any way for me to fix this problem? Any guidance on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Toshiba L50-A no 640x480 resolution

Quickest fix would be to replace EEPROM chip on the display with the one from the cracked screen.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks mate. A long time since I've been back here but I know you've helped me in the past. Would it matter that it is a different brand? It's a bad photo but would this be the eeprom chip?
      Attached Files

Comment

I have fixed it!!!! I now can install windows, go into bios and have a full Toshiba splash. I was able to do this repair with help from these sources https://hubpages.com/technology/how-...corrupted-edid
        and the product specs from AUO here ()
        I only had to change 2 bytes of data in the header.

Comment

Working...
        X