Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Jefferson
My Country: LAMBDA SOND
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
Bingo! (At least for the fact that you have a Q9650)
Back in 2016, I think I got a Q9450 or something like that and even for that one, based what I saw for test reports, it would embarrass an OC'ed Q6600, especially the batch of Q6600 that I received!
My Q6600 OTOH, was apparently pathetic, even for 65nm!

And it's not the first time I had bad luck with 65nm Intel, my E2180 M0 (Conroe) (65nm) acts more like it's a 90nm chip, even a meh 2.9 Ghz being a major challenge! And 3.0 Ghz apparently making it degrade before my eyes, despite that should have been for the majority, a walk in the park! Prime95 caught it flunking at 3.0 Ghz, IIRC, at 5 hours, which is actually an odd time for Prime95 to fail, as Prime95, in my experience, usually would fail at 1 hour or 2 hours, if I got a duddy chip!

I dunno why Prime95 even took that long for it to error out with air con air on it. Usually, if it acts odd, it means a heat issue, in my experience. (Like Prime95 once failing at 23 hours with my 2003 Barton 3000+ AQZFA, LOL. (I think that was in 2007 or 2006) That was clearly an overheat, because the sun was coming in the window.)

It was very odd, at 3.0 Ghz, because I ran Prime95 and then for no good reason, it failed in a shorter time, I saw it randomly fail at only 1 hour or similar! And it also did the same dang kind of thing at 2.92 Ghz, WTF!

kinda mirrors my experience I bought some wierd ABIT board maybe it was a 965 chipset and a E2180 and had no problem getting it to a stable 3.2, prime95 with a zalman 9700NT and it never went about 55c, loved that chip.

next in 2010 I bought a used q9450 on ebay and put it on a gigabyte P35 DS3L and i couldn't get it stable at 3.2 needed alot of voltage, so I made a trade deal with a friend, got a better P45 UD3P gigabyte board and had no problem doing 3.2 undervolted, I still have the system but haven't powered it up in about 3 years, it was running TINY XP, Vista 64 and iDeneb OSX 10.5.8 it was a TRI-BOOT system.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #4122
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizar: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTroll View Post
kinda mirrors my experience I bought some wierd ABIT board maybe it was a 965 chipset and a E2180 and had no problem getting it to a stable 3.2, prime95 with a zalman 9700NT and it never went about 55c, loved that chip.

next in 2010 I bought a used q9450 on ebay and put it on a gigabyte P35 DS3L and i couldn't get it stable at 3.2 needed alot of voltage, so I made a trade deal with a friend, got a better P45 UD3P gigabyte board and had no problem doing 3.2 undervolted, I still have the system but haven't powered it up in about 3 years, it was running TINY XP, Vista 64 and iDeneb OSX 10.5.8 it was a TRI-BOOT system.
My Q6600 needed 1.39 V at 3.2 for Linpack to pass, but Prime95 on blend mode, failed with a bus error-related WHEA BSOD! So, it was time to crank up the FSB termination voltage! But that wasn't enough either for the bus errors, I also needed a lot of cold air or else, I would get a bus error-related WHEA BSOD when just Skyping or similar!

The bus error story starts like this on one day in 2014, IIRC:

I was at my bed and when Prime95 in blend mode was running, suddenly, Windows said "***STOP:0x00000124" and rebooted itself within some seconds. I also remembered saying "Shit!" out of my mouth.
Then on reboot, checked the event log and saw Windows say "bus/interconnect error".

Core i7 Extreme "Bloomfield" 965

Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970

Windows 7 SP1

SoundBlaster ZXR

Corsair TX850M PSU

Looks like I have a laptop that kills a desktop PC!

Received on November 4, 2019:
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-649US

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-05-2019 at 07:53 AM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #4123
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
That is a rotten shame. 4:3 LCD's in that size & resolution are RARE! Whoever did that deserves a fist to the nose for that.
I know!
I was so excited when I was cleaning it, as I thought about setting it up as monitor for my main rig (NOTE: this is probably one of the RARE times I consider replacing CRTs on my desk with an LCD.)
Then I decided to plug in before really investing time cleaning it up... and sure enough, when the backlights came on... RIP.

By the way, I forgot to mention, but when I dug out that monitor from the dumpster, I also found a PC in there too - a beat up Micron case from the late Pentium 4 (32-bit) era. Nothing to write home about. However, there was one bit of hardware in there that was definitely worthwhile saving: an nVidia GeForce4 TI 4600 video card.

If you don't know, those now command close to $100 on the used market because... no idea? Sure it's a rare AGP video card now, but hardly the best. A Radeon 9600 is usually both cheaper and more powerful... and not that much newer, for those who still want to stick with "retro" AGP hardware.

In any case, saving that TI 4600 was still satisfying. It was filthy, though, just like the rest of the PC (spilled coffee everywhere on it, all kinds of warehouse dust and dirt, and who knows what else.) The TI 4600 had a burned track near the AGP connector. Perhaps this happened because of the spilled coffee? Either way, I gave the card a full wash with soap and hot water, then let air dry for a few days. Yesterday, I fixed that burned track, as nothing else measured wrong on the card. So I plugged it in my test PC and was pleasantly surprised to add a _working_ TI 4600 to my video card collection (FYI, I already have 2 other TI 4600 cards, but one has the artifacts, and the other has a ripped RAM chip with damaged tracks on the PCB.)

On top of that, I also got a Radeon X1950 AGP (another quite high-end card) last week for cheap. This is now the best AGP card I have in my collection. Previously, it was an x800 GTO with factory-unlocked and enabled shaders. I just got to sit down now and build some oldschool PCs with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
Rarely it hovers over 60. It usually hovers in the 56-57 range, and the MB around 50. Youtube though, it goes berserk - I recorded temps in the 70 range.

Much better than a Packard Bell that had a 8400M GS. If you think that my Acer would have a short lifespan with the 610M, that Packard Bell trash of a laptop (in every aspect) was getting hot from just turning on.
Yeah, I know there were some really crap HS designs back then (and still today.)

My Compaq Presario V6000 (an HP Pavilion dV6000 in disguise) was in a similar boat, even with its lowly-low 2 GHz single core Turion CPU. At stock settings, it barely managed to make the NB/GPU stay under 60C while idling. At load - forget it. Luckily, I found that the Turion CPU I had lended itself nicely to under-volting. Downlocked it a bit from 2 GHz to 1.6 GHz and dropped the voltage from 1.2V stock to 0.975V! As a result, peak power draw dropped by more than 10 Watts, and the CPU and GPU rarely go over 60-62C (even on the hottest of summer days) after an hour-long session of YouTube (480p.. and this was some years back, so those results are probably irrelevant now.) Not great results by any means, but much better than how I got it stock. This is the thread for that laptop, by the way:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64440

It was a freebie laptop I found on trash day near my nehighborhood. Still have it and it still works. Though after opening it again to try an Athlon X2 CPU, the wireless no longer works. I suspect the NB or SB is starting to go, and that's causing the wireless issues. Ah well, who cares, I do have a better laptop now - a Pavilion dV6000... Oh wait, that is the same thing! The dV6000 I got is the Intel version with Intel chipset, though... so perhaps I won't have issues with it. We will see. Still need to find an HDD caddy for that one to make it work.

Last edited by momaka; 12-05-2019 at 11:17 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #4124
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Yeah, I know there were some really crap HS designs back then (and still today.)

My Compaq Presario V6000 (an HP Pavilion dV6000 in disguise) was in a similar boat, even with its lowly-low 2 GHz single core Turion CPU. At stock settings, it barely managed to make the NB/GPU stay under 60C while idling. At load - forget it. Luckily, I found that the Turion CPU I had lended itself nicely to under-volting. Downlocked it a bit from 2 GHz to 1.6 GHz and dropped the voltage from 1.2V stock to 0.975V! As a result, peak power draw dropped by more than 10 Watts, and the CPU and GPU rarely go over 60-62C (even on the hottest of summer days) after an hour-long session of YouTube (480p.. and this was some years back, so those results are probably irrelevant now.) Not great results by any means, but much better than how I got it stock. This is the thread for that laptop, by the way:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64440

It was a freebie laptop I found on trash day near my nehighborhood. Still have it and it still works. Though after opening it again to try an Athlon X2 CPU, the wireless no longer works. I suspect the NB or SB is starting to go, and that's causing the wireless issues. Ah well, who cares, I do have a better laptop now - a Pavilion dV6000... Oh wait, that is the same thing! The dV6000 I got is the Intel version with Intel chipset, though... so perhaps I won't have issues with it. We will see. Still need to find an HDD caddy for that one to make it work.
I've seen that thread. HP wasn't the best either, but at least my NX7400 (made from 7300 parts lol) doesn't need a big heatsink to cool a T5500, since it runs on a integrated Intel GPU. Not the best but at least it's reasonably good.

Wish I can get a dv5 or dv7, whichever is ATI based. nVidia chipsets are horribly hot, although their redeeming quality seems to be that VLC can play 1080p60 rendered videos just fine (which I really didn't expect for such a old GPU). Nearly similar to my Aspire 6530, but in a small package, which makes it easy to carry.
MSI Twinfrozr GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
6GB DDR3-1066
Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
Raidmax RX-500XT (recapped)
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
JNC RJA-52 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #4125
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
I've seen that thread. HP wasn't the best either, but at least my NX7400 (made from 7300 parts lol) doesn't need a big heatsink to cool a T5500, since it runs on a integrated Intel GPU. Not the best but at least it's reasonably good.

Wish I can get a dv5 or dv7, whichever is ATI based. nVidia chipsets are horribly hot, although their redeeming quality seems to be that VLC can play 1080p60 rendered videos just fine (which I really didn't expect for such a old GPU). Nearly similar to my Aspire 6530, but in a small package, which makes it easy to carry.
I haven't had good luck with anything HP of that era. There's a reason all of my HP laptops are parted out. Seems that they didn't transition to ROHS very well... so many BGA issues.

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #4126
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
I haven't had good luck with anything HP of that era. There's a reason all of my HP laptops are parted out. Seems that they didn't transition to ROHS very well... so many BGA issues.
I've had my fair share of success with Acers bearing nVidia chipsets, it can't be THAT bad at this point.
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #4127
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech

i have had an acer running 24/7 for several years - the main problem with acer is flimsy cases that crack if you flex them.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #4128
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizar: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Does that include 2009, with their Athlon II-based CQ61 as well?
Because the one that I worked on, was shit!
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote