Samsung LE40B530 int. loss of backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LE40B530 int. loss of backlight

Just had one of these pop up - paid a bit more than I should but could see picture working as it was intermittent, so think it's lower risk.

Fault description: in use, after around 30 sec - 1 hour (essentially random) the backlight will switch off. Sound works ok during this. Nothing gets backlight to turn on again aside from a power cycle.

Power board & combined inverter part BN44-00264C (schematic here)

Found PFC cap voltage to be only 341V, which is too low. It is not boosting to the nom ~390V. I suspect that the set will intermittently cut out if the bus voltage sags below some limit (set by ICP802, KA431 zener-like device.) This might be latching or maybe the backlight does not restart after a UVLO event?

Anyway, I checked the Vcc voltage for the FAN7530 and it's ok, 14.8V. All PFC diodes ok. Source resistor ok. Haven't checked gate drive because I haven't got my isolation transformer set up. I suspect FAN7530 to be bad. Interestingly, I noticed the PFC voltage does rise slightly when the TV turns on - in standby it's 333V (~237Vac); when it fires up, it spikes to 343V (equiv ~244Vac) - I wonder if the inductor in the PFC circuit provides a little boost - or if the PFC circuit does actually work slightly but its regulation setpoint is too low...
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: LE40B530 int. loss of backlight

Dear Tom66 have you solved the problem? I have the same fault on my tv .
    I guess it must be 390v not 344v . Is it somehow related to?
    http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/KIT330-...40B620-LE40B53

Comment

I haven't yet finished working on this one as I accidentally broke one of the tabs on the bulb connectors and haven't fixed that yet. Will do it later. Although replacing the IC brought PFC voltage to 370V, it still seems a little low for me.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

According to the application note AN-6027 from Fairchild, resistive divider network ratio is 155. We calculate and report must be exactly 390V. But two of the four 1,5Mohm resistances are in reality only 1,385Mohm and 1,456Mohm respectively( measured out of circuit) .
        Therefore Vout is a little small even after replacing the IC.
        Keep in touch.

Comment

Yes, I was considering replacing the resistors too, as I suspect they may have drifted and they are included in other repair kits.

Comment

I searched two days on Google and found dozens of requests for this fault but no resolution. Samsung knows the situation since making an indication.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcvw8vpr8D4

Comment

Fixed in the end, was the PFC IC, checked PFC was working on low line and it was so think 365-370V may be normal for this PSU.

Comment

Working...
              X