Chimei CMV 221D Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimei CMV 221D Questions

Just scored myself one of these monitors from work as it 'no longer works' according to the boss. I figured I could take it anyway, and if it really is busted dispose of it later.

As it turns out, it turns on fine. It is also detected perfectly fine through DVI (not VGA however) on my computer as a secondary monitor (the desktop extends over to it and Windows allows me to alter settings for it), but it won't show anything on the screen.

The kicker is that when you turn the computer on without an input source connected, then screen will show you a message in the middle of the screen telling you there is no input source.

After reading through a few threads based around this particular monitor, but not really finding any similar issues I figured I should make a thread about this myself.

Re: Chimei CMV 221D Questions

Small Update: It seems that you can just make out the On Screen Display while the computer is plugged in and turn on with an input source connected. It's very dark, leading me to believe this is a back light issue?

EDIT: Opened it up and it looks like there are a couple bulgy caps that I have circled in red. This is my first time getting into component replacement, so I may have missed something. Could this be the issue?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xandora; 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

If I was to repair this, i would replace ALL those caps (except the BIG one) and not only the bloated ones with quality, low ESR caps as a first step. You may want to check F200 (glass fuse beside the bloated caps, in the middle of the board) for open connection using a multimeter. If it is open, replace it as well. Good luck.

Comment

I've managed to figure out what all but one of the caps are. The one I'm having trouble figuring out is the small brown one by itself near the bottom of the picture. It looks like it says 22uF 55v, would that be accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by xandora View Post
          I've managed to figure out what all but one of the caps are. The one I'm having trouble figuring out is the small brown one by itself near the bottom of the picture. It looks like it says 22uF 55v, would that be accurate?
          Could be 22uf 35v or 22uf 50v. If you are happy that the 22uf is correct
          I would go for the 50v.

Replacement caps should be good quality from a known seller we often suggest
          Panasonic FR FM or FC in that order ( Not all values available in all series & make sure they will fit size wise.)
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Great, and everyone is often suggesting low ESR caps, but I've got no idea what that means?

Comment

There are many explanations of ESR on this site and elsewhere on the net.
              If you look on a site such as digikey RSonline newark mouser and so on they will have a link to the datasheet for the cap - they sometimes quote the ESR in the specs in one of the columns.

Really you dont need to know a lot - just buy panasonic FR FM or FC or
              a Nichicon or rubycon equivalent. Care though -many fakes on ebay.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
              X