The 2016 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2016 Operating System Thread

I'm using Windows 7, XP, 98, and Linux. I've become more interested in Linux in the past year. I haven't used Windows 10, but I don't like what I hear about it (not just the privacy concerns).

I haven't found a website that doesn't support Linux.
    Last edited by lti; 01-03-2016, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      98SE? Awesome, haha
      I need to find me a copy of that.
      I sent you a PM.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Linux - various versions of Fedora from FC3 to F21, on various notebooks and desktops. One Pentium M notebook still has Xubuntu for i686 - it just works, and it has a full working Bluetooth stack which allows me to wirelessly browse the microSD card on my phone (which is also useful for transferring pictures and MP3s as needed). Some recent Fedora versions have a borked Bluetooth stack (it mostly works, except for file transfer).

Also have an old FreeDOS 1.x release on some desktops, mainly for mobo BIOS flashing and so on. It can also be done from Linux these days, but there are some issues with self-unpacking binaries.

I don't much like the loss of functionality in some parts of the Linux userland ecosystem these days, but there's no show-stopper, so I'll put up with it until it's fixed. The main issues left are Bluetooth and power management, i.e. battery life.

Comment

I split the off topic discussion into a new thread.

As for me I've been running Win10 on some different hardware for over a year now, including on my main workstation.
          I must say it's working quite well, it does have some issues that annoy me though.
          Like how convoluted it is to setup and establish a VPN connection.
          They finally did fix the issue that TCP/IP parameters could not be edited for VPN connections in the November update.
          Anyones guess how that ended up in RTM!

But on the whole I must say it's a quite nice OS!
          Takes some tweaks to disable the "feedback" and as always the Search function is completely broken.
          But hey it's Windows; what did you expect a working search function?
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

here is a quote frm another site i liked!
            Take this as a warning about Windows 10 - You would be better off with a Commodore Vic 20 than with a quad core hacked by Windows 10, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              here is a quote frm another site i liked!

Well it must be true if its written on the internet !
              Sounds like it was written by a child not an IT professional.
              People "hack" software does not.

Comment

I'm actually not surprised by the very low usage numbers of w10 even for as long as it has been out.

Windows 95 was a smash hit upon release!
                Windows 98 was a smash hit upon release!
                Windows 2000 was a smash hit upon release!
                Windows XP was a smash hit upon release!
                Windows Vista was a turd (released way too early for the hardware of the time IMO)
                Windows 7 was a smash hit upon release!
                Windows 8 was a turd
                Windows 8.1 was a turd
                Windows 9 was never released (what does that tell us)
                Windows 10 is a turd

I'll just leave it at that....I'm sure the trend is very clear.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I'm actually not surprised by the very low usage numbers of w10 even for as long as it has been out.
                  Low usage numbers of W10?
                  Are you kidding?
                  It's already close to 35% in the steam hardware survey...
                  Though you'll get it for free if you have a valid Windows 7 and/or Windows 8(.1) license.

Windows Vista was a turd (released way too early for the hardware of the time IMO)
                  naa
                  I agree that it was released (way) too early. But not because of the hardware of that time but rather it wasn't ready/done.
                  There were some applications that were not updated with Windows Vista...

It just needed some (more) time, done right it wohld have been a hit.
                  I myself used Windows Vista as well and I pretty much liked it.
                  Though there were many situations where I thought that it was only about half way done, sadly...

Windows 9 was never released (what does that tell us)
                  Windows 10 is a turd
                  Windows 9 became 10 because of various reasons, whatever story you want to belive the most...

Some say it is because of (old) software so that it doesn't get confused with the old Windows 9x.

Some say it is because they want to make it clear to the people that the difference between Windows 8 and '10' is so much greater...

Well, in reality Windows 8 was more like Windows NT 6.2 (Vista was 6.0, "7" was 6.1).

With Windows 10 there were some changes in the Kernel and driver system, so I woudn't count it to the 'NT6' Kernel...

If Linux wouldn't be such a botched piece and the developers would stop flaming each other and work together to get rid of Windows, it could actually be quite good.
                  I always try Linux from time to time, but there are always some things I really don't want to live with...

For example:
                  an easy network share for example. With windows it's right click on the folder -> add share and you are done with it.
                  With a Linux Mint, it's not so easy...
                  The Ubuntu desktop is just awful...
                  And for the others, there is no Steam
                  Last edited by Stefan Payne; 01-05-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                    Are you kidding?
                    Though you'll get it for free if you have a valid Windows 7 and/or Windows 8(.1) license.

naa
                    I agree that it was released (way) too early. But not because of the hardware of that time but rather it wasn't ready/done.
                    There were some applications that were not updated with Windows Vista...

It just needed some (more) time, done right it wohld have been a hit.
                    I myself used Windows Vista as well and I pretty much liked it.
                    Though there were many situations where I thought that it was only about half way done, sadly...

Windows 9 became 10 because of various reasons, whatever story you want to belive the most...

Some say it is because of (old) software so that it doesn't get confused with the old Windows 9x.

Some say it is because they want to make it clear to the people that the difference between Windows 8 and '10' is so much greater...

Well, in reality Windows 8 was more like Windows NT 6.2 (Vista was 6.0, "7" was 6.1).

With Windows 10 there were some changes in the Kernel and driver system, so I woudn't count it to the 'NT6' Kernel...

If Linux wouldn't be such a botched piece and the developers would stop flaming each other and work together to get rid of Windows, it could actually be quite good.
                    I always try Linux from time to time, but there are always some things I really don't want to live with...

For example:
                    an easy network share for example. With windows it's right click on the folder -> add share and you are done with it.
                    With a Linux Mint, it's not so easy...
                    The Ubuntu desktop is just awful...
                    And for the others, there is no Steam
                    "no Steam" then why do I have it running on suse?
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Are you kidding?

Not quite. See above. Also, before you post nonsense like that again, please cite sources. Hell, in our humble little poll here, it's only at 14%...

Lets just say for the sake of argument that its true....how many of those were forced "upgrades", IE, the user inadvertently switched over, having no real clue what they were doing? I bet that percentage would be very high. I stand by my comments above....the OS war is over, and MS lost in the end.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

you know what they say about statistics.

this forum pol is probably more realistic with 7 dominating followed by linux at about 20%

Comment

Are you kidding?
                          I'll put it this way: most who fall for steam(ing) bullshit are guaranteed to be suckers for win-lose 10.

If someone's "Patty Hearst" enough for steaming trash, it's always an easy sell for ten. Besides, why stop at "I love DRM, gimme more"- let's declare, via win10, certain programs "not in M$'s best interest" and remo-kill 'em.

Win10 and steaming hell- a perfect combination.
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            Takes some tweaks to disable the "feedback" and as always the Search function is completely broken.
                            I guess there isn't a Microsoft product that doesn't need a good deal of teaks and workarounds. Even my beloved XP isn't perfect "out-of-the-box" until I disable a bunch of stuff.
                            Still, I am not quite ready to upgrade. I mean, I just don't see why.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            But hey it's Windows; what did you expect a working search function?
                            Works fine for me on XP. With Indexing (dis)service disabled, and all.

Originally posted by Stefan Payne
                            Are you kidding?
                            Right.
                            But have you ever wondered why that is?

I'll tell you why. People who have Steam on their PCs are generally home users who play games. The Steam survey obviously doesn't include the millions of office PCs and servers around the world (which are likely running anything but the latest Microsoft OS). So yeah, if Steam is not on those PCs, then they won't be in the survey. Simple as that.

Also, these two things also impact the Steam survey:

Fact #1: If you go to a computer store nowadays and you buy a PC for home (on which you might put Steam), chances are it will come with Windows 10.

Fact #2: Most gamers tend to update with the latest... well everything. It's the way the gaming industry runs. Windows 10 has DirectX 12. So that's a big reason why. And the "newer is better" mentality that prevails with the common person. So if you have the latest games, you will sooner or later switch to the newest OS too.

With all of that said, the Steam survey is NOT a true representation of the global OS distribution. Rather, it is only a good representation of the gaming community.

Originally posted by kaboom
                            Win10 and steaming hell- a perfect combination.
                            Well, kaboom... if you really really dislike Windows 10, you can always give Steam OS a try.
                            No need to thank me now. You're most certainly welcome!
                            Last edited by momaka; 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

^
                              I havent done an XP install in ages. Are the activation servers still alive?
                              I Internet activated a clean install of XP yesterday
                              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

With all of that said, the Steam survey is NOT a true representation of the global OS distribution. Rather, it is only a good representation of the gaming community.
                                And of the gaming community, that segment which happens to be "tooting" nicely along!

Well, kaboom... if you really really dislike Windows 10, you can always give Steam OS a try.
                                No need to thank me now. You're most certainly welcome!
                                The real thing is much better-- try it, you'll like it!
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Right.
                                  But have you ever wondered why that is?
                                  I still believe it to be a crock. Also, the PC gaming community is very small these days....just a whisper now. Consoles do not count. I also know how many of my clientele begged me to undo their W10 "upgrade", that was forced upon them by MS. After almost a year of W10, I would still maintain that 35% is very low. Look at the Win95, Win98, Win2k, WinXP, and Win7 numbers in their first years....but those days are long gone. An OS built on targeted advertising, built-in spyware, and fees for applications....well, I don't see a bright future in it, especially in the business/IT world.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

An OS built on targeted advertising, built-in spyware, and fees for applications....well, I don't see a bright future in it, especially in the business/IT world.
                                    Isn't that what Android and iOS are, and they are still the most popular, even apparently killing the old favorite Blackberry...

Comment

An OS built on targeted advertising, built-in spyware, and fees for applications....well, I don't see a bright future in it, especially in the business/IT world.
                                      That's what ya get, now that the old guard at M$$$ has been fired.

It's been "Carly-fication" since shitsta: let's copy apple and (g)oogle- spyware be damned. They're successful- we can be too!

Now where's my IBM 5150/5160? WP51 didn't screw around. If those ST-506s were still working, said PC/XTs would wipe the floor with "the paperclip."
                                      The M$ BOB dog, now known as XP's "search companion," should only mangle Clippy to pieces...

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        Isn't that what Android and iOS are, and they are still the most popular, even apparently killing the old favorite Blackberry...
                                        Indeed they are.....but did they exist in MS's hayday? Google made its trillions off spam and advertising....MS will never top them.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

I still believe it to be a crock. Also, the PC gaming community is very small these days....just a whisper now. Consoles do not count. I also know how many of my clientele begged me to undo their W10 "upgrade", that was forced upon them by MS. After almost a year of W10, I would still maintain that 35% is very low. Look at the Win95, Win98, Win2k, WinXP, and Win7 numbers in their first years....but those days are long gone. An OS built on targeted advertising, built-in spyware, and fees for applications....well, I don't see a bright future in it, especially in the business/IT world.
                                          in the (real) business/IT world Win10 has an enterprise edition, and you can disable telemetry entirely on that (for security reasons it's a requirement for some businesses)
                                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                          X