Another Gigabyte with bad Chemicon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Gigabyte with bad Chemicon

This pair of KZG 3300uf 6.3v swelling at the top, next to the heatsink on a GA-8SIMLH

Shouldn't have been too hot though, was only a Celeron 2000 running stock standard

Other smaller KZG, further away from the heatsink, show no problems
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Another Gigabyte with bad Chemicon

Replaced by salvaged Panasonic FJ, verified OK on Dick Smith ESR meter
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Replace the others KZGs. they can fail without showing it.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I don't think KZG need huge amounts of heat to go.
        They just tend to go where it's hot first.
        And, the older they are the worse they are going to be about it.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Even the best electrolytic capacitors are not immune from failure... the designer must have used capacitors which were good, but not rated for the design.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

No, KZG are failure prone, especially around the CPU area where it is hot. I'd rate them above GSC and Fuhjyyu, but below Teapo and OST.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

>the designer must have used capacitors which were good, but not rated for the design.

so what are you suggesting, that such design deserves some other capacitance value, and if so, which one?

if that argumnet doesn't stand, then you have no argument.

ie it's just crappy japanese capacitor crapping out, just like c_hegge said.
              heh

(i love the twist where it's not just taiwanese and chinese that are making crappy caps)

Comment

Treat KZG as an 85C 2000 hr cap....it HATES heat.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
                  Even the best electrolytic capacitors are not immune from failure... the designer must have used capacitors which were good, but not rated for the design.
                  I see alot of good designs destroyed because the guy making the final call wants to save 15c a board and forces the designer to use cheaper parts.

Comment

Yup, and you know what.
                    They probably eat it anyway later on dealing with more RMA's.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy
                      Treat KZG as an 85C 2000 hr cap....it HATES heat.
                      More like 2000hr at 30C!

Comment

Working...
                      X