help identifying cap on Dell mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help identifying cap on Dell mobo

Greetings, forgive me in advance for this is my first post here. I'm hoping I can return the favour many times over, so with that, thank you in advance!

I have a board here that (according to someone else's description) "had a quick 'zzzt' sound, and then smelt bad." Sounds like the magic genie smoke has left the cap to me!

DellBoardwPop'edCaps.jpg is the board that I have, I can't even see what was there.. It almost looks like a grounding pad on the left side.. For the life of me, I can't find the component that the traces go to (or the rating of the caps for that matter, which is the goal) in the schematic. Which is provided as "Compal LA-9983P, LA-9984P VAW10, VAW11 REV 1.0 - Dell Inspiron 17 (3737).pdf" and in the second picture, "DellBoardwCaps.jpg" is a picture of the board from an Ebay listing. To me, the beige colour indicates that they're caps.

Anyone have any ideas? Again, TIA.

~Mike.
    Attached Files

Re: help identifying cap on Dell mobo

Hello,
    What I see on the ebay listing picture there is one black element (missing on yours) and two beige (damaged on yours).
    Well, looks like your schematic go missing some pages, most important in this case.
    Here is a link to complete schematic diagram with power supply part:

page 37 to be precise.
    Left is a grounding pad so what I see on the other side:
    https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/4492200000_1467751515.jpg
    there is a power FET PQ702 and I would look also near PL3 and PL701 coil.
    Firs of all wash it by isopropyl alcohol and then try to use multimeter to find a traces where they are going, Then you will find what those components are.
    Edit:
    I did some research and turns out that two capacitors (lower on your picture) are PC714 and PC718. Can't find what this resistor is.
    Also your board is diferrent than board from ebay (look at the battery terminal position compared to burned components).
    Last edited by gabik111; 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM. Reason: analyze schematic
    Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

Working...
    X