Does this look like bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this look like bad caps?

This is the board that i just bought on ebay for $8.01 because it looked to me like crusty caps.

ABIT VP6 DUAL PENTIUM 3 MOTHERBOARD NOT WORKING

I guess i'll find out when it arrives.

Re: Does this look like bad caps?

definately caps... look at the ones by the dimm slots. Hopefully the VRM circuit is not toasted.

Comment

I'm hoping a memory error prevented it from booting before that occured.

Comment

Hmm...that is a nice dual CPU toy! The caps on them are completely gone!

You should check out with Topcat (or just browse these forums) for any tweaks that you can do with this motherboard. There seem to be plenty! I think it is recommended to change the capacitance rating for some (or all) the caps on this motherboard for better stability and performance. There are also other tweaks.

I guess all I can say is good luck and have fun fixing and tweaking this great board!

Comment

I just hope that the board i recieve is the same one as in this picture.

Comment

It looks like i'll be able to do this one in all FM's...........maybe.

I'm not really sure whats in the board but from many searches it looks close to this;

15 x 1500uF, 6.3v, 10mm - DigiKey - P12343-ND (FM)
            4 x 1000uF, 10v, 10mm - DigiKey - P12353-ND (FM)
            2 x 1000uF, 16v, 8mm - DigiKey - P12366-ND (FM) – 10 mm
            2 x 1000uF, 6.3v, 8mm - DigiKey - P12354-ND (FM) – 10 volt

1000uF, 16v, 8mm is the oddball here. I don't know if it will fit until i see the board up close.

Comment

The board arrived today but it doesn't look like the picture.

None of the caps are bulging, and no burn spots are visible on the board.

.....however,

Almost 1/4 of the large caps on the board 'wobble'. It's like the caps aren't really connected to their terminals.

Question(s):

Is this what happens to the capacitors on boards that are well ventilated?

How common is this?

Comment

For some reason, this board has only two different values of large caps.

1000uF, 16v, 8mm x 4
                1500uF, 6.3v, 10mm x 19

All Teapo.

Comment

well again not sure

Caps can blow their bungs rather then popping the tops (venting via vent)
                  there is one brand and I think it teapo that tend to do this and can fail without signs of it, leave this open for comment...not sure
                  bit hard but they do looked stuffed from photo.

Teapo replace them regardless.

You might want to check the fets before replacing but its a dual PCB so might be worth just doing and see what happens, if you can see no signs of heat damages etc.

It possible I suppose for cap to break at solder joint but highly unlikely esp all of them or a few of them (sounds to me the cans wobbling cause the caps are stuffed)
                  Does it look like some may have had a bash at trying to remove them ?

These are good boards from what I read so well worth the recapping if you got a good use for it...and for the price you got it for..... its a bargain if it fires up and gives you no grief

guess those that know will post better info for you

Cheers
                  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I've been studying the different mods to determine what to do with this board. From what i gather, Abit has changed the value of the caps in orange from 1000uF, 10v to 1500uF, 6.3v on this board.

Was this the end of production for this board or was Abit adressing some other issue? (they were probably taking the cheap way out)

Is it better to leave the value at 1500uF or to change back to 1000uF that the board was designed for?

I've already replaced the caps shown in red with 1500uF, 6.3v, and i see no reason to change them.

The caps shown in blue were originally 1000uF, 16v, 8mm, but they may now be changed to a 10mm equiv.

Last edited by gastorgrab; 06-28-2007, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Replace ALL those marked. The orange ones were originally 1000uF 16v. It is safe to run 6.3v caps in their positions, as they're on the 5v rail. I've never seen them with 1500uF caps though. older VP6's with jackcon caps had 1000uF, and refurbs with teapos have always been 2200uF caps. Either will work, but I always return them to their original values of 1000uF.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Maybe this board was fixed once before and they ran out of 2200uF caps.

I noticed a couple of solder connections on the board that weren't the perfect, uniform joint yyou would suspect from a mass produced board.

The orange ones were originally 1000uF 16v
                        I suspect that the original values of the 8mm caps, in blue, was not 1000uF, 16v for every one. Were the values split? (2 at 16v, and 2 at 6.3v)

Comment

The 2 8mm 1000uF caps in front of the AGP MUST be 16v, as there is 12v on them for the AGP power FET's. The other 2 (the one between the AGP and PCI1 and the other by the northbridge) can have a 6.3v cap used in their places.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                            The 2 8mm 1000uF caps in front of the AGP MUST be 16v, as there is 12v on them for the AGP power FET's. The other 2 (the one between the AGP and PCI1 and the other by the northbridge) can have a 6.3v cap used in their places.
                            That's good news.

I had a few leftover 10v, 1000uF MCZ's. One should fit nicely beside the AGP slot.
                            ..........and it does. The MCZ cap is the exact height of the AGP slot.

That only leaves these;

And now i have to order more of the proper values.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                              Hmm...that is a nice dual CPU toy! The caps on them are completely gone!

You should check out with Topcat (or just browse these forums) for any tweaks that you can do with this motherboard. There seem to be plenty! I think it is recommended to change the capacitance rating for some (or all) the caps on this motherboard for better stability and performance. There are also other tweaks.

I guess all I can say is good luck and have fun fixing and tweaking this great board!
                              i have been using 2200@6.3 for all the caps except the 2 1000@16 behind agp and the ones alog agp.the ones to the rear of agp MUST be 16v
                              the others can be 6.3.
                              contact tc for his modded vp6 bios. has updated hpt bios and other tweaks.great job he did and a must have.

Comment

I think theres a link to that BIOS on here somewhere. Let me know if you don't find it, I'll have to pull it off my BIOS drive out at the shop.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                                  I think theres a link to that BIOS on here somewhere. Let me know if you don't find it, I'll have to pull it off my BIOS drive out at the shop.
                                  Take you time. I'm still scrounging for parts.

I found an old ATI video card that will work for testing purposes, and i won't need a case until i know if the board is going to work.

I think i've given away all the SDRAM i had.

I ordered two CPU's; http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=398290
                                  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentiu...C1000256).html

I didn't think there was any way to fudge this part. According to what i've read the CPU's have to be the same MHz, and same stepping. $18.00 each wasn't bad i guess.

Comment

A few pics;

The clearance around the AGP slot is of at least a little concern.

I'm still considering whether or not to put a dot of hot melt glue to hold this cap to the PCI slot. I don't really want it to rest on the surface mounted transistor because the device may need to get rid of some heat.

I'll have to make sure the oversized caps remain clear of the contacts;

....and clear of the AGP card;

Well..........i didn't really need a 8mm cap at this position, that that's what it came with.

Last edited by gastorgrab; 06-30-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

This is why i think that this board was factory reconditioned, once before:

Only the two values of caps were present. (1500uF, 6.3v, and 1000uF, 16 v......all Teapo)

Comment

A modest copper cooler should suffice here, but in what configuration?

I have a spare Thermalright SK6+, still in the box, and was wanting to try out the Artic Cooling case fan on it but..........

I also have a couple of YS-Tech 70mm X 25mm fans (that can be used to jump-start a 747) that i'm convinced could provide enough airflow, even in the worst case scenerio.

The parts are still available here:
                                        ThermalRiight SK6+ - http://www.plycon.com/cpuc/tr_sk6plus.htm
                                        70mm Fan Adapter for ThermalRight SK6+ - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14...?tl=c14s222b34
                                        70mm Ys-Tech (insane fan) - http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/yste7049cfmf.html

The 70mm to 80mm Fan adapter are still hard to come by;
                                        http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/...ers-Page1.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X