P4SD - case J7X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P4SD - case J7X

Hello everybody, i have been struggling a lot with this particular model.

This board i just recieved is giving no POST, after several random testing the best i have gotten is the unfinished POST with all the display going to little squares with different colors, no particular pattern...

I am wondering if anyone out there has any theory or idea about this, since this is a pattern on many of my broken boards.... could it be an IC? any SMD? i just dont know where to look at, where to begin...

something i find special on this case is the fact that the caps i normally replace they all look Ok and also, they mostly are Rubycon...

Any idea, tip, sugggestion, info, doc, reference, anything is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Re: P4SD - case J7X

The IC featured in this picture:

NEEDS a heatsink on it! It's the Northbridge, and will get very hot. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118014 should do the trick. The board seems like it's working until this chip overheats, then crashes. DO NOT try to turn the board on again until this is properly heatsinked. Use some rubbing alcohol to clean off the old thermal grease, and use some new grease (like arctic silver 5).
    Also, you'll need some RAM in it for the POST to complete, and a CPU to run anything. The empty battery slot isn't necessary, but it won't be able to remember the time when it's unplugged.

Comment

i assume he took the sink off for inspection / cleaning.

what i dont understand is why company's spend the extra on rubycon's & poly's and still use bubblegum on the heatsink intsead of silver or ceramic paste!

i get loads of boards with that exact chipset, and as5 all of them.

Comment

Two possibilities:
        1. the 3 cheapo Teapo caps for the VRM in https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=38 (assuming they are 1500uF 16v)

2. Physical damage near one of those caps (suspect area circled)
        Attached Files
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stj
          i assume he took the sink off for inspection / cleaning.

what i dont understand is why company's spend the extra on rubycon's & poly's and still use bubblegum on the heatsink intsead of silver or ceramic paste!

i get loads of boards with that exact chipset, and as5 all of them.
          I would say that i might have came off on its own. I have seen a few that have come off by themselves. what i dont get is why not make it so that it can be attached by something other then a glue like substance. if you noticed, there is no mounting holes to put a generic heat sink on that is spring loaded. Another favorite is the ones that have little round staple looking clips with spring steel holding them on.. only problem is that those round soldered in clips come off as the poor solder joint breaks after a few years and then the heatsink falls off. i cant tell how many of them i have seen.. way too many, i can tell you that.

Comment

that board does use loops to mount the sink.

Comment

OK you are right.. i missed that. those are the loop hooks that i was talking about that i see quite a few of that come off and then the heat sink just falls off.

Comment

wow guys thank you, im working on all of the tips!!! Thanks!!

yeah i removed the heatsink for inspection. i will recap those cheapo teapo.

Im on it, guys Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions, Thank you again...

is it replaceable, the memory controller?? ive never tried that one.......

THANKS, Im on it. Will update asap.
                We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

UPDATE:

After recap those three teapo cheapo and cleaning that sink, i had no success... out of many random testing, with different combinations between DIMMs, CPUs, heatsinks the best i got was this one successful POST, and that was it, after it i thought i should mount it on its base and since then i got nothing (the base is ok, i unmounted it and same, nada) again.

Any idea, tip, suggestion is very welcome,

Thanks in advance.

This is what I did:

Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Circled caps are in RAM power and appear to be Teapo or OST - both of which will fail without bloating.

Attached Files
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by MXM
                      UPDATE:

After recap those three teapo cheapo and cleaning that sink, i had no success... out of many random testing, with different combinations between DIMMs, CPUs, heatsinks the best i got was this one successful POST, and that was it, after it i thought i should mount it on its base and since then i got nothing (the base is ok, i unmounted it and same, nada) again.

Any idea, tip, suggestion is very welcome,

Thanks in advance.

This is what I did:

Thanks
                      That's too much goop!
                      The goop can short those little resistors or caps surrounding the main IC and fry out the whole chipset.
                      You want just a skim coat, just enough to cover the IC with a thin layer.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by MXM
                        is it replaceable, the memory controller?? ive never tried that one...
                        No. The memery controller is part of the nortbridge.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

all those P4SD boards you're posting threads on came out of HP d530 SFF computers right?
                          those with the weird proprietary exploding powersupplies due to the glue getting conductive..

if that's the case, those boards may got voltage spikes when those PSUs went bang..

just a thought i had..

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                            That's too much goop!
                            The goop can short those little resistors or caps surrounding the main IC and fry out the whole chipset.
                            You want just a skim coat, just enough to cover the IC with a thin layer.
                            he is correct. the same thing should be said for processors too. that is one thing that drives me crazy is when i get a board in that someone puts a huge amount of heat sink paste on and it goes everywhere. another down side to too much heat sink paste is if there is way too much, then the excess that goes over the edges can also do the exact opposite of what it is supposed to and actually more insulate the parts instead of helping cool it down.. I'm talking about the extra stuff that goes over the edge from the part of where you need it.

you want just enough to barely cover the part of the chip where it is supposed to touch the heat sink. A good way to find out the amount, install the heatsink, and then take it back off and see how much has spread over the edge of the chip. If a lot goes over the edge, then you know you have way too much, if very little goes over the edge, then you know you have the right amount and just clean off what was on there and reapply the amount you just had.

Originally posted by SCENIC
                            all those P4SD boards you're posting threads on came out of HP d530 SFF computers right?
                            those with the weird proprietary exploding powersupplies due to the glue getting conductive..

if that's the case, those boards may got voltage spikes when those PSUs went bang..

just a thought i had..
                            You talking about those famous bestek power supply's?

Comment

I doubt they would be worstec. HP usually use delta in their SFF systems

Comment

@ kaniki: nope..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFodprrO48Q
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPf6jHdEFg

the completely non-standard PSUs they used in those SFF POS boxes had a problem with the glue that was used to hold the components in place before soldering. it dries up, when the PC left unused for a while, the glue sucks up moisture from the air, and when you then plug it back in, it's conductive enough to cause some fireworks like in the 2nd video.. and that's probably what also takes their boards out (voltage spikes through the ATX connector when the PSU dies with that light show..)
                                Last edited by Scenic; 06-19-2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Hello and thanks for the comments and tips and suggestions.

Yes they all are from (this damn) hp d530 SFF model, all of em. But not all of em came with a blown PSU, some of em came with a working PSU. I have also fixed some of those PSUs that are also a pain in the ass... (got info on that too if someone needs). Thanks for the advise, do you think is there a way to find out if the board is fixable or not? given the fact that now on today i couldnt tell which of those came with a defective PSU (my bad)....

I have removed the excessive goop, but i have to admit i did test the board with the excess on, my bad (x2)... if you think theres a chance its already all blown; just advise please.

I wont try removing that chip then, i guess Thanks for the advise.

Most PSUs are delta brand. ???

I am still working on this board. No better results.

Thank you ALL

Peace.

Comment

UPDATE: i have been trying to figure out if the board is still fix-able, since i havent gotten a single POST since few days... any idea is really very welcome

i changed those cheapo teapo close the DIMM slots and finished manual resoldering close the display output. i also reduced the amount of goop to avoid any situation on this issue, in both the cpu and the memory chip.

i havent done a complete manual resoldering, just on the area circled by c_hegge.

the rest of the board should look the same as in the past pics.

pics from today

Thanks everybody for the time and replies.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

What other caps are on it?
                                      I see what might be an LTEC and some that, if Nichicon, are in the bad date range.

Any small ones rated for 85C instead of 105C?
                                      [They die young.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Use a credit card or a doubled up 3x5 card or a piece of stiff plastic [like salvaged from some retail packaging] about that size to get a nice thin layer of 'goop'.

Goop <- hahahaha
                                        I think I started something...

You need a thin layer over the whole surface that looks like machined metal.
                                        That chunk of metal is the heat-sink for the silicon chip inside the assembly.
                                        The point to the, um, 'goop' is to fill air gaps between that heat-sink and the one you attach on top of it so you have as near 100% contact area as you can get.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X