Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Achtung! High Voltage!

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
    I once watched a spark jump about 3/4" from the flyback area of a crt into the tip of my thumb, then out the tip of my index finger 1/2" to the chassis - the higher the frequency (I think it was 15-something Khz) the closer to the bone the current travels, my hand felt a little weird for days afterwards.
    When I was 15-16 I had an inop TV set that I only kept in my room so I could draw an arc from the flyback to an insulated screwdriver for entertainment. I could draw an arc about 5/8" max. Never got bit by it but for a kid I was being damn careful.

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
      I agree with the last part, which accounts for how Nikola Tesla was able to hang out
      in his room with all that sparking going on - wonder what frequencys he was working with...
      Experiments with Alternate Currents of High Potential and High Frequency.pdf
      search for it!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by stj; 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
        When I was 15-16 I had an inop TV set that I only kept in my room so I could draw an arc from the flyback to an insulated screwdriver for entertainment. I could draw an arc about 5/8" max. Never got bit by it but for a kid I was being damn careful.
        As you probably know, the bigger the crt the higher the high voltage - the one I had was one of those big ole console models, I think maybe 25"...what better entertainment is there, and that ozone smell, so fresh so pure
        Last edited by xelectech; 02-07-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

24-26Kv on those.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            24-26Kv on those.
            Even a little higher on some, 30-32Kv, enough to generate x-rays, though that fact was never publicized.

Comment

lead-glass on the face and shielding at the back mitigates that.

Comment

Got 3 strings of 600VDC from my solar panels that feed a 10kw inverter every day. I also worked on 3 phase systems and RF tube amplifiers up to 10kw (radio station). If you get zapped working on one of these, that's the last mistake you ever made. TVs, radios, Ham Radio gear, low voltage stuff I don't count anymore.

Comment

@capleaker:

"One flash and you're ash."
                  "If it's not grounded, it's not dead."

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I haven't heard those ones before

Comment

No I try to always de-energize all circuits before I work on them*
                      Not the least because it's just as likely to damage the equipment itself otherwise when working on it!

*But I admit to sometimes not following my own rules
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I learned an awful about about safety in the Navy and for all the right reasons; survival of the person and the equipment. Plus it really pisses the Navy off when they have damaged or lost either, and there is no such thing as an unavoidable accident in the Navy. They can ALL be prevented somehow and usually by being careful. The only time a sailor is allowed lose control is on liberty call and that's why they have Shore Patrol out there with them.

Comment

Working...
                        X