LED power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LED power supply

Just looking at the photos it looks like its barely even touching the chassis, it needs to be firmly pressed against it to cool.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Here are mine stuck to the ceiling on pvc trunking, you will notice the fluorescent light on the ceiling, as my place is 1700 sq ft I dont have them on any more the whole place is lit with LED s put 12 volt to each end of your strip because if you dont the voltage will be lower at one end and the led s wont be as bright due to voltage drop , my first psu blew as the main reservoir cap dried out so I would replace this as well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by michael dranfield View Post
        Here are mine stuck to the ceiling on pvc trunking, you will notice the fluorescent light on the ceiling, as my place is 1700 sq ft I dont have them on any more the whole place is lit with LED s put 12 volt to each end of your strip because if you dont the voltage will be lower at one end and the led s wont be as bright due to voltage drop , my first psu blew as the main reservoir cap dried out so I would replace this as well.
        Nice shop there
        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

It was securely pressed up against the heatsink with paste and a clamp and the solder was fine.

Does this look like a suitable replacement ?
          http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet...stors/7192822/

Comment

Yeah maybe get a higher current one ? Also replace primary caps too as well as the resistor, diodes and possibly controller.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
              Yeah maybe get a higher current one ? Also replace primary caps too as well as the resistor, diodes and possibly controller.
              Those two Dongbaohe ?
              Could you suggest a better replacement ?

Yeah, nice shop Michael, look at all those storage drawers

Comment

btw, that carbon resistor is not rated for a high enough voltage, you need a 400v+ rated part there

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Those two Dongbaohe ?

What you see is just a tiny part , I can park 3 cars inside , 4 if I tidied up a bit !
                  Got more semis than a component wholesaler, the back room has no place left on the walls for any more draws !
                  I will post some pics tomorrow .

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    btw, that carbon resistor is not rated for a high enough voltage, you need a 400v+ rated part there
                    Thanks, I'm guessing you men the one that isn't there any more ?

What you see is just a tiny part , I can park 3 cars inside , 4 if I tidied up a bit !
                    Got more semis than a component wholesaler, the back room has no place left on the walls for any more draws !
                    I will post some pics tomorrow .
                    Oh wow, i always get a nice warm glow when i have the components to hand and don't have to order. Must be cool to have just about everything you'll ever need....and more

Might be easier to drive to you than RS in future lol.

Comment

yes, but i cant make out the colour-codes from the first batch of foto's
                      you need to use a 500v metal oxide job because it's connected to the rectified mains.
                      it looks like it's(was) acting as a sort of pullup/down resistor on the gate/base

if it had too low a resistance the current when the device was on could have slowly done it in.
                      without it the transistor could have jammed on and blown.

Comment

I got an LM317 regulator smoking one day powering up a string of 8 LEDs taken from a small flashlight. I guess it's time for a better heatsink and new paste

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          yes, but i cant make out the colour-codes from the first batch of foto's
                          you need to use a 500v metal oxide job because it's connected to the rectified mains.
                          it looks like it's(was) acting as a sort of pullup/down resistor on the gate/base

if it had too low a resistance the current when the device was on could have slowly done it in.
                          without it the transistor could have jammed on and blown.
                          Brown, Black, Orange, Gold. 10kohms

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-elec...tedCategoryId=

Comment

i wonder how much current that could pass at 360v?
                            it was a 1/4w carbon job.

Comment

Ohm's law says 12.96 watts. A 1/4w ain't gonna cut it.
                              Last edited by SteveNielsen; 02-09-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

that could explain the failure then!
                                it's pulsed, but the fact that standard carbon resistors arent rated for that voltage dont help!

Comment

Oh wow, i always get a nice warm glow when i have the components to hand and don't have to order. Must be cool to have just about everything you'll ever need....and more

Might be easier to drive to you than RS in future lol.
                                  Take a look at this , I have to stand on a chair to get to the draws next to the ceiling !
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Those two Dongbaohe ?

Car in for a service as well !
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, very nice indeed. Impressive stuff.

Comment

Car in for a service as well !
                                        Now that's just showing off and taking the p*** lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X