Two SONY VCRs eating tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two SONY VCRs eating tapes

I have recently obtained a pair of SONY VCRs; different model numbers but I'm 99% sure they have the same insides. I was hoping to use them to transfer some old tapes to digital files, but both of them failed in the exact same way a short time after I started using them. First they were making a slight knocking noise. Then, during a rewind operation the VCR suddenly stopped and ejected the tape still unspooled from the cassette. They now unspool and eject every single cassette that is put in, making a whirring sound that's MUCH louder than it should be.

Clearly there's something mechanically wrong with them, and it seems odd to me that two different VCRs could have failed in the exact same way. Unfortunately I can't open them up and see what's going on, as they are still under warranty and will be returned to the sellers. Have you guys ever had SONY VCRs fail like this? Is this a common problem? It really sounds to me like either the tensioning has failed or a gear has moved out of place...
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Two SONY VCRs eating tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dOOy_-uMM

Comment

Unfortunately the vcr shown in this video is quite different to the ones I have, at least what I can see through the tape slot. For example the pinch roller didn't move up and down when loading, and nothing looks out of place...
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

What is the model numbers? you will probably need to take the cover off to fix it.

Comment

Pretty tough one since you can't open them up, maybe some good electronics spray lubricant: https://www.amazon.com/Max-Professio.../dp/B0030MPJ8S

Comment

a good proper cleaning helps especially if a bad tape went through it .

Comment

Been a while since I vcr ed but yeah I remember the head cleaner tapes that you could buy.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                Been a while since I vcr ed but yeah I remember the head cleaner tapes that you could buy.
                there is or maybe was proper cleaning tools and products ..think it was chamois leather on a stick for the drum . plus head cleaner spray . i should still have mine .

Comment

DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING in the vcr it will become unrepairable. eating tapes is usually caused by the takeup reel not taking up the tape, post pictures of the mechanism or at least the model number.
                  If this is the type that has a bottom cover, remove it and post pictures of the bottom also
                  Last edited by R_J; 12-18-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Problem is, he can't open it up, per post #1.

Comment

Well if he can't open them due to a waranty issue, spraying them with lubricant will definitely void any warranty. Just return them.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0egTI__8D5E

Comment

send them back for sure . test new ones with new tapes if you can still get them .

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            Well if he can't open them due to a waranty issue, spraying them with lubricant will definitely void any warranty. Just return them.
                            LOL, right, my bad, forgot how delicate they are, haven't had one apart in years.
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-18-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Some of the best ones I have seen is when people would use the wet type "vcr head cleaners" then put in a regular video tape, you would be supprised at just how much tape that spinning video drum can wrap around itself before it stops

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                Some of the best ones I have seen is when people would use the wet type "vcr head cleaners" then put in a regular video tape, you would be supprised at just how much tape that spinning video drum can wrap around itself before it stops
                                sticky wet drum syndrome

Comment

I really don't understand what the OP is asking. If these units are new (unlikely since Sony hasn't made a VCR for years) then return them. If they're from a thrift store or something then you have a choice. If you think there is enough potential value there vs. what you paid to attempt a repair (which will almost certainly be successful by the sounds of it) then just proceed to void your "warranty" and fix one or both of them. If you take them back to a thrift store, they're just going to give you your money back and then throw them in the dumpster, which seems rather like a shame to me since they're probably perfectly serviceable with a little maintenance. Even a brand new one in box could quite possibly need re-lubrication by now if it has been sitting around stored for a decade or more even though it is NOS.

You cannot do maintenance on or repair a VCR without opening it.

Opening it shouldn't even void the warranty in my opinion, though there could be other opinions on that one.

The only physical breakage I ever remember repairing in a SONY VCR was a small plastic lever in the tape loading mechanism that draws out the tape and wraps it around the head, etc. The little tab where a spring went broke off from wear. I fixed it by drilling a small hole in the lever just inboard of where the tab was and attaching the end of the spring through the hole instead. Worked perfectly well after that. It probably still works if it has been cleaned and lubricated a couple times since then and was never tossed in a dumpster to be rid of that "old" technology.

Comment

post picture of mechanism.try to clean all rubber parts (belts or pulley) that move play wheels.check tension belt.

Comment

There may be a pendulum wheel in from the spindles that needs cleaning or the rubber tire needs changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajnhl View Post
                                        post picture of mechanism.try to clean all rubber parts (belts or pulley) that move play wheels.check tension belt.
                                        Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                                        There may be a pendulum wheel in from the spindles that needs cleaning or the rubber tire needs changing.
                                        Indeed, however, the OP states that he wants to somehow magically fix these VCRs without removing any covers and opening them up.

I believe that this would prove to be exceedingly difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                        X