Bad CCFL? DAC-19M009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad CCFL? DAC-19M009

I'm working on a DAC-19M009 board. I got it to display picture by replacing all the caps but as soon as I move the monitor, it will shut off and I can hear one of the transformers making a grinding noise. If I tap on the case, the monitor will shut off but if I keep it laying face down, it will usually stay on. I've checked all connectors and everything is secured.

BTW, I'm hearing a slight humming/squealing noise which is coming out of a hole which I circled in red. Excuse the ccfl connectors as they are not arranged correctly (previous owner had them installed that way).
    Attached Files

Re: Bad CCFL? DAC-19M009

Well, I plugged in two CCFL tubes from another monitor and the noise went away. So it appears that I will need to replace at least two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ykilde View Post
      Well, I plugged in two CCFL tubes from another monitor and the noise went away. So it appears that I will need to replace at least two of them.
      If you are lucky, maybe the wiring on the ccfl just needs to be resoldered versus a bad ccfl tube?

edit: See this post for an example of bad wiring.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=18
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM. Reason: example of bad wiring
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        If you are lucky, maybe the wiring on the ccfl just needs to be resoldered versus a bad ccfl tube?

edit: See this post for an example of bad wiring.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=18
        Retiredcaps
        I would tend to agree with you on the bad connection to the ccfls, The fact that moving or taping the LCD panel causes a change in behavior would seem to indicate a poor solder joint.
        If it's decided to inspect ccfls, gently tug on both the power and return wires where they are soldered to the ccfl tubes a poor solder joint will show up quickly.
        Al.
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Great advice guys, thank you!

I attached the pictures of the tubes, top and bottom (4 total). The top two were the ones making the noise and I believe they are cracked, which I outlined in the picture.

This is the first time I've ever replaced CCFL's in anything so do you guys recommend I replace all four or will I be fine by replacing just the top two? Also, is there a place where I can order these and do I need to worry about wattage, size, ect or are they all pretty much universal (except length)? This is for a Westinghouse 22" LCM-22W
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ykilde; 11-08-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

It is really up to you, How much money you want to invest .Single ccflf tubes run about $9.00 plus shipping. It looks like ccfl warehouse has a special on for 4 ccfls http://ccflwarehouse.com/ call them and they will assist you in getting the correct parts.
            If it were me and I was going to keep the monitor I would replace all of them and be done with it.
            I would suggest getting some extra silicone end caps just in case you damage the existing ones .Get a small amount of the capton tape also.
            Al.

If you decide to replace all four save the bottom ccfls for test bulbs.
            Last edited by alexanna; 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM.
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
              It looks like ccfl warehouse has a special on for 4 ccfls http://ccflwarehouse.com/ call them and they will assist you in getting the correct parts.
              Another alternative is

http://ccfldirect.com/

I have no personal dealings or experience with either.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Great, thanks again guys.

I think I will end up replacing all four CCFL tubes. From my experience with working on vehicles, if one side has failed, the other side is probably not too far behind.

Comment

I can't believe this has turned into the most frustrating experience ever. I have anything but steady hands and trying to hold the wire, CCFL tube, soldering iron and solder at the same time was a challenge. I bought some bulbs on eBay and that may have been partly due to them. Are the CCFL tubes suppose to come with longer leads on the end that you cut down to size? I attached a picture of the eBay CCFL tube.

Also, one of the solder joints ended up being too large, so I pulled it out again. I ended up tearing one of the silicon end caps and now it won't align properly (bulbs are touching each other). Does anyone know where I can order the silicon end caps? Thanks
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ykilde; 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ykilde View Post
                    I can't believe this has turned into the most frustrating experience ever. I have anything but steady hands and trying to hold the wire, CCFL tube, soldering iron and solder at the same time was a challenge. I bought some bulbs on eBay and that may have been partly due to them. Are the CCFL tubes suppose to come with longer leads on the end that you cut down to size? I attached a picture of the eBay CCFL tube.

Also, one of the solder joints ended up being too large, so I pulled it out again. I ended up tearing one of the silicon end caps and now it won't align properly (bulbs are touching each other). Does anyone know where I can order the silicon end caps? Thanks
                    The replacement CCFL's I've seen do come with longer leads that you cut down to size once you've finished soldering. You can get replacement end caps from ccflwarehouse.com.

Comment

Good to know. Looks like I won't be buying anymore CCFL's on eBay anymore.

Thanks

Comment

Buying CCFLs from eBay isn't always bad... look up seller "Plazmo_industries" (it's ccflwarehouse.com's eBay presence), they sell CCFLs that are new and have long leads. If you contact them via email then you can combine shipping (ask for an invoice) and they may even throw in some endcaps for free (they did for me on my last order). Be sure to tell them your panel make/model.

Edit: Link to 460mm x 2.6mm CCFLs.

Comment

After you strip the wire make a small loop and position it on to the small wire on the end of the ccfl tube
                          [Similar to attaching a wire to an electrical outlet with a screw] and then solder.
                          Al.
                          ccfl warehouse has been good to me also

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
                            Buying CCFLs from eBay isn't always bad... look up seller "Plazmo_industries" (it's ccflwarehouse.com's eBay presence), they sell CCFLs that are new and have long leads. If you contact them via email then you can combine shipping (ask for an invoice) and they may even throw in some endcaps for free (they did for me on my last order). Be sure to tell them your panel make/model.

Edit: Link to 460mm x 2.6mm CCFLs.
                            I wish I would have known that earlier. When I typed in "LCM-22W2" in eBay's search, it only returned one seller - laptoplcdparts. I will try to contact them and see if they can do something with the two unused tubes given they have pictures of the longer leads on their listings. There's no way I can wrap the wire around the stub.

If there were just a few more mm at the leads, I would have already been done with it. I ended up adding solder to the lead and then the wire and then heated them when I was able to touch them together holding the iron, tube, and wire. Yeah, it's been a long night

Comment

Working...
                            X