Unlock ATA password Hitachi Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlock ATA password Hitachi Hard Drive

Now I know if hitachi hard drives can be unlocked via a 9000.00 piece of equipment called PC-3000 we also can do it with something readily available to the general public.

It appears that they use a "Probe" which may just be some hardware hack or jumper to cause password flag to be erased when certain code is sent to the drive the force the execution of this code by either applying power or resistance or simply jumping these two pads.

How I think it works:

The probe causes a write flag to be set and allows the password to get over written with a new one or maybe the write head is forced to confirm password from a different location on the hard drive when this jumper is enabled a writeable area thus when request to unlock is preformed the fake location is read password is correct and lock flag gets removed.

Tools needed for testing:
    P4 PC with ide drive.
    Ultimate boot disk
    2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter.
    toggle switch
    Jumper wire

Hook up toggle switch to 5v power so you can power off and on your hard drive manually.

Hook up drive to PC as the only hard drive on primary and a cd/dvd/bd rom drive on secondary ata.

Set bios to boot from CD first.

Insert ultimate boot cd and load ata password utility on there.

Now we can send info and power down set jumper and power up. If done right we may be able to overwrite the password.

Use this as a guideline for unlocking!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5UczkKoi20

Download this video entering in the above address at www.keepvid.com
    Any hardware gurus out there with locked hdd's?
    Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Re: Unlock ATA password Hitachi Hard Drive

I do have a 60GB Hitachi Travelstar HDD with a password that I can try this on. I tried watching the Youtube video, but I do not understand 1 word that the narrator is saying. Can you provide a written guide for the procedure?

Comment

the hell..?!
      and i thought my english pronunciation was bad..
      Last edited by Scenic; 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I had one HDD that had password mysteriously set. Head had crashed so HDD was useless.

Comment

heh no you must try er out as I said I dunno weather it'll work even no silver spoons here other then a path to follow is all.
          Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

A.FF Repair station is what I used. It is a per drive unlock license. but how much is data worth ? If i remember it is like 50$ a whack. But, screw around and do it wrong you may end up with a working drive, but no data. You can download the proggy for free and run diagnostic.

BTW I LOVE the UBCD4Win, I have a bunch of those around the bench at all times. There is not a week goes by without using it for something.

Comment

nahhh what this thread goal is is to develop a test bed more or less to unlock drives without paying the price of the drive to unlock it what chaps my ass most is not even the data its that I have a 100gb hd ide 2.5 and need it for a laptop and it don't work not to mention I can't count the number of these things I threw away like this cause some poor sap forgot his password and I could not unlock it I hate having to tell people its going to cost you like 60bux for a new hard drive when they have a good working drive right in front of them just that it is locked.

Defeat ATA password this is the GOAL!

password unlock works from A-FF as well but like I say it is not the data that is important as the space it provides people tend to forget password fairly regularly and its understandable I have done it we all have done it and no one likes to write them down either cause that is the easiest way to get took... As many passwords I remember with letters and numbers it must be taking up a good portion of my physical memory just remembering passwords! :P

Anyhow this thread is not for the faint of heart it is for the more technical folks out there ...

Comment

That jumper tool in the video, are these resistors, diodes or something else on the board? Just to make sure that a blank wire won't fry the board...

Comment

I unlock a ide hdd fujitsu from a laptop with one amazing tool.it called zu.runs from a ms-dos enviroment.always the hdd conected directly to motherboard as master.it work only for ata hdd.i hope to help someone with this.

Comment

ZU - ATA Password Unlock Tool for Several Drives:
                    http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=166&p=334

Comment

Working...
                    X