New Router suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Router suggestions

My router died today. It was a recapped, re-heatsinked, and dd-wrt'd (not OC'd though) netgear WNDR4000.

After class I have to go to the store and buy a new one.... (or get one online and use one of my spare wrt-54gs client bridges in the meantime)

Here's some general constraints:

1. I'd like for it to have dualband N.
    2. DD-WRT compatibilty is required. As long as there is a way to get it on there.
    3. No netgear... once bit twice shy.
    4. Not much more than $60, the less the better.
    5. Gigabit is a plus but not required.
    6. New or used will do

What do you guys suggest?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: New Router suggestions

I can't believe you, of all people aren't running iptables under Linux.
    Best most versatile firewall/router available

Sent from Medano beach
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I ended up getting a linksys e2500. It needed fixed by 10pm (mom had work due in by midnight, and she only wanted to have to fuss it once). It's her $, not mine... but this ought to work.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        I ended up getting a linksys e2500.
        Linksys is being sold to Belkin.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Linksys is being sold to Belkin.
          Crap.

Oh well, this one felt more like a Linksys and Less like a belkin. Other than thge LEDs being mounted on the back, the design/build quality isn't too shabby for a new unit (I still prefer the older builds though). After this I'm not buying a new one again, as by then Linksys will be on par with belkin

(Had this not been a "rush" job, I would have found a used unit or something).

Here's a few notes and commentary:

- I wasn't as PO'd about Cisco Connect as I thought. All one has to do is set it as "unsecured" during setup, check off a "are you a noob" waiver, and you're back to the usual stock linksys firmware. Hate the feature, but at least it isn't mandatory.

-I first went with DD-WRT but as I found out, dualband isn't supported.

-However, tomato does have dualband support, and I ultimately ended up using that. So far, so good.

Originally posted by smason View Post
          I can't believe you, of all people aren't running iptables under Linux.
          Best most versatile firewall/router available

Sent from Medano beach
          Simple: I don't have the right hardware. Even if I added that to the current file/print server, I'd have to sort out the LAN switch and Wireless. Yeah, sure, it can be done, but it isn't in the time budget.

Keep in mind that this is technically my parent's router... Iptables, while usable for a tech like me, may not be for them (especially after I move out once I get my EET degree). Tomato is on the edge of what I could service, say over the phone with one of them. Iptables, I haven't even used before, so I can't make the justification for something they could use long term.
          Last edited by ratdude747; 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I use only "Intellinet" type N-300 routers.
            I push a three bar signal about 500' down the road to a friends house.

Linksys is good too, as far as longevity is concerned. I have two of them I use here in the house for expanded LAN connections (not wireless).

Happy 2013, Y'all !

Doc
            Experience is truly the best teacher.
            Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

I never had a problem with the Linksys E1200 router I used for a few months until my old modem died. The router built into the new modem is completely useless.

Comment

Working...
              X