Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
    Old article (2 years ago!).

BTW, good catch on the 2 year old article.

Cheers, Wizard
    I know, because I'm the author of it
    None of the LCD manufacturers specify how much input lag their monitors have so I fail to see how this information is "outdated"
    And the matter of panel type is still very much relevant and forever will be, TN always will be crap and IPS panels always will be allot better

BTW, the Eizo CRT I used was a Eizo FlexScan T965
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3442
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-09-2011, 03:04 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
      If only I had a dollar for every CRT I saw running at 60Hz and without the image fully expanded, I'd be filthy rich.

This whole enviroNAZI thing is just outta control. I love watching people with 5 second attention spans dump something because "it's the wrong color now, it's out of style" or "one little scratch." The walmart mob mentality has caused this hysteria where people "buy, buy, buy!" What ever happened to paying for, owning and appreciating something? Too many need an excuse to sell themsevles out to red china- oh excuse me, buy something 'new.'

We're not supposed to 'look behind the curtain' and find the flaws in the pseudo-religeon. No, we're told to just sit back... "Yes, all the fuel costs; yes, it still works; it's good to stimulate the economy(what economy?), well, it was a waste, but those aren't green." "You just be quiet now, that's green because we say it is.
      My parents' old Dell monitor runs at 60Hz with no problems. The low refresh rate doesn't bother me, but increasing the refresh rate to 75Hz gives me an instant headache. I also have no problem using a monitor at 85Hz.

I repaired a CRT TV by replacing one cap. If I wouldn't have been there to repair it, it would have been thrown away and replaced with a Wal-Mart Special. That already happened with another CRT TV (same brand, but larger) with the same problem (vertical foldover). On that TV, my parents didn't want me to look at it and just let it die (the vertical deflection IC fails due to the bad cap). The replacement is a Vizio VW22L, and it is such a piece of crap that the display in my old Gateway Solo 2500 laptop has better picture quality. That TV cost about $330 at the time.

I repair anything I can unless it has been destroyed beyond repair or is not worth repairing.

Where I live, people have to have a TV. If their TV dies, they must have a working TV as quickly as possible (so they miss as little of their reality TV shows as possible), and the fastest way to have a working TV is to go to Wal-Mart and buy a new one. Then they have a big trailer trash party to destroy the old one so it can't be repaired.

Comment

Per, Redo the tests with newer LCD late 2010 and 2011 to confirm if you can borrow them.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
          That 20.0 ms responce time kills it for gaming.
          Like gaming with a 5,400 RPM HDD from 2002. O_O
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Older HDDs work better than slow monitors though, in my opinion. If you've got enough RAM the games usually all load in there anyway.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

I regularly run 1600x1200 but I know my 24" trinitron can do much, much higher if I wanted.
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

^
                A 24" trinitron in 1600x1200? I hope it's a 4:3 A/R.....all I've ever seen was 16:10 and 16:9 in a trinitron 24"....and 1600x1200 will look retarded on that!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom
                  If only I had a dollar for every CRT I saw running at 60Hz and without the image fully expanded, I'd be filthy rich.
                  That's how all of our monitors were at work. I fixed them as I was doing regular computer maintenance. Regardless of that, my boss wanted them replaced, so I did that too. It's all 20" wide (16:9 AR) LCD flat screens now - not sure why 16:9 AR for office work, but I think it's because someone found them for real cheap.

The old CRTs were hauled away by a junk removal company I think. Most of them were 17" Dell M782 flat screens and M781 non-flat, both shadow mask technology. The M782's actually looked pretty good and crisp. We had about 14 of them. If I had the space, that would have made for an awesome multi-monitor setup. Maybe a bit heavy on the power consumption, but at least I wouldn't need to run heating in the winter .

Even 4 of them would still be pretty cool! Or better yet, 12 of them - 4 in a row, 3 in a column! Still 4:3 aspect, too.

I think the haulers also took away 1 of the 2 Sony Trinitron E540's 21" CRTs. Those were like a dream to me before I had my 24" Sony. They still are pretty good, actually. The one that got thrown away had a blue tint to it, though, and was very bright. I believe we still have the other E540, though (they must have missed it out - I very happy ). I want to take it, but I think my closet will explode if I do - my closet has been eating up stuff like a black hole, and we all know how black holes end up.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  all I've ever seen was 16:10 and 16:9 in a trinitron 24"....and 1600x1200 will look retarded on that!
                  Not if you don't stretch it. But then there's the inevitable question - WHY? (as in why that resolution). 1600x1000 is exactly 16:10 resolution. The slightly lower 1440x900 also is. Even better, maybe even the game will run faster. Then just add v-sync for 85 Hz or more (provided your game supports it) and it should look much better.
                  Last edited by momaka; 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I'm not using that monitor now I have this free one https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14949
                    And once I get another DVI cable I'll be using the slow one as my secondary monitor currently is ViewSonic E71f running at 1024x768
                    My pc
                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

1920/1200, a Compaq branded Sony Trinitron, not sure which model. Still have it, not used, but working anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ipman
                        1920/1200, a Compaq branded Sony Trinitron, not sure which model. Still have it, not used, but working anyway.
                        If this is a GDM-FW900, I think Th3_uN1Qu3 might be interested. Send him a PM if you like. He's in Bucharest, Romania as well.

Comment

Nice one... PM sent.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I had in the past a CTX PR705F 17" W/trinitron tube, its max res was 1600x1200@65Hz though I pushed it in 1920x1080@60 Hz, and the text was still sharp (after adjusting focus/screen pots on flyback) despite being too small and having to reduce height to keep aspect ratio, great brightness and contrast and 0 ms response time. It developed some flyback leaks that ends burning it, the H transistor, I couldn't replace them so I thrown it away, I miss it, it was a great monitor despite it took too much space in the desktop lol.

I also had a 1999, LG studioworks (I don't remember the model) 15". I pushed it in 1920x1078@50Hz, despite its max res was 1024x768@85Hz, it looked fine except blurrier in the sides and some convergence issues.
                            Last edited by Derek23; 07-25-2011, 04:58 AM.

Comment

HD on a 17" was kinda pushing it... As for the other one, 50Hz? Were you using it as a TV or something? I have a 14" Daewoo sitting around here, and it can only take 1024x768 at 56Hz. It's unbearable.

Btw, ipman said his monitor is not for sale. Howver, someone tipped me off about a 22" Trinitron that he had for a few years and couldn't fix (typical failure, G2 gets turned up by the image restoration function till you get a very bright picture with retrace lines even at zero brightness). That needs to be adjusted in the firmware with WinDAS and a serial to TTL cable, because those monitors have no G2 pot on the flyback.

He said i can have it if i want to, because he's given up on it and bought 3 LCDs for his gaming setup. It's funny, this guy is an actual EE (as in diploma and all) and he couldn't fix that monitor. Well, more for me, better for me. I'll go pick it up when i come back home.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                HD on a 17" was kinda pushing it... As for the other one, 50Hz? Were you using it as a TV or something? I have a 14" Daewoo sitting around here, and it can only take 1024x768 at 56Hz. It's unbearable.

Yeah I used the Nvidia Custom resolution thing, one day I was bored and played to get the highest res before the monitor shut down and I got 1920x1078@50 Hz with the 15" thing, I tested only for seconds because the 50Hz flickering was very nasty lol, however with the 17" I could use it for view high res photos or videos because 60Hz was more tolerable

that 14" have a 800x600 max res? I use that on the 15" because the CRT tube was worn or something that the sides of the screen were blurred despite adjusting the focus pot
                                Last edited by Derek23; 07-25-2011, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I finally got my samsung syncmaster 950p back from my old house...

It maxes out at 1600x1200 @ 65hz, but I run it at 1280x1024 @ 85hz. 1600x1200 is a tad blurry, even 1280x1024 can be at times... it is a 2001 model.

it also has an ever so slight case of burn in... the old owner must have used win 2k.

I have a ctx at my old house (20" monster). didn't know it might have a trinitron tube... it has an issue with the vga plug that I have been unable to fix (pin pushed in connector). next time i am up there I might try to work with it...
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM.
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

almost forgot my 29" barco.2470 something x 1900 something.nonstandard.had a color calibration camera.
                                    a guy at a local graphic arts place had me on site fixing a blown up plc in a giant film scanner.i saw his and stated i had got one like it in a load of surplus.said he wanted a few more but could not find them.he paid $1250.00 for his and said he would pay that for mine.well most of the playing i got to do with it was setting it up to match his!
                                    damm those things are huge and heavy!
                                    but great image quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek23 View Post
                                      I also had a 1999, LG studioworks (I don't remember the model) 15". I pushed it in 1920x1078@50Hz, despite its max res was 1024x768@85Hz, it looked fine except blurrier in the sides and some convergence issues.
                                      That's like the opposite of what I do here. Normally, I set my resolutions low but at high refresh rates. 17" monitors (both CRT and LCD) I don't like past 1024x768. Even if they remain sharp, things just get too small to see.
                                      It wasn't that long ago when I was still running 800x600. Unfortunately, there are no web pages nowadays that design for that resolution - hence why I moved up a notch to 1024x768.

The highest resolution I'm running right now is 1280x960 on my Dell (Sony) Trinitron D1626HT 21" CRT. Max resolution for that monitor is 1600x1200 @85 Hz and it looks fine on it too. I just like big text.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                      I finally got my samsung syncmaster 950p back from my old house...

It maxes out at 1600x1200 @ 65hz, but I run it at 1280x1024 @ 85hz. 1600x1200 is a tad blurry, even 1280x1024 can be at times... it is a 2001 model.
                                      950P? I think that's the better version of my SyncMaster 955DF (or at least in some ways). I think you get adjustable color temperature and BNC connectors. If anything, I really dislike the preset color temperatures on my 955DF.
                                      On the other hand, the 955DF gets 0.20mm horizontal dot pitch vs. 0.22mm for the 950p and also lower power consumption by about 20W.

As far as resolutions: according to CNET, the max resolution for your 950p should be 1920x1440 @ 64 Hz. That info could be wrong, though, because according to the 950p user manual, max resolution is 1600x1200 and the max refresh rate is either 75 Hz (950p model) or 85HZ (950p plus model). Perhaps your video card wasn't good enough?
                                      Also, don't run 1280x1024 - that's a 5:4 resolution and you have a 4:3 monitor.

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                      almost forgot my 29" barco.2470 something x 1900 something.nonstandard.had a color calibration camera.
                                      Nice!

Comment

well, 1080x1024 is the default and lately getting the nvidia linux utility to save things has been a pain.. any higher and it gets a bit blurry and I have to lower the refresh rate. any lower and I lose space. I'll try messign with it again but 1080x1024 on 4:3 screens never seemed to be that bad...

my video card is a nvidia geforce 7600GT.

it does have BNC... and I have a bnc to vga cable... is there any benefit to using bnc?

edit- found the 1280x960 option, that is what i was wanting. my bad on that. the shape of thigns looks more correct... I feel dumb for not noticing this in the past.
                                        Last edited by ratdude747; 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM.
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The highest res I have ever stuck with was 1024x768 on a HP 17" CRT. I did try higher (1280x1024), but it was a case of Can't Read This. On a 15", I never went higher than 800x600
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X