Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

that is not a problem anymore nowadays. anything with a response time below 8ms (although values are often blown up, grey-to-grey not black-to-white) is fine IMO.
    i still have a 17' backup LCD which is a 16ms PVA panel. color is great, but if you crank up the contrast to acceptable levels, the shadowing becomes very noticeable.

a lot of the earlier LCD TVs had crappy comb filters though, when at the same time LCD monitors were just fine.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

The current lcd monitor I have is bad when in game it streaks especially when going form white to black so if I were to drag a window with dark borders u see where it's just been dragged from.
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
        ^ If I'm ever in MO I'll take that lovely beast off your hands. I fucking love Trinitrons.
        not if i beat you to it!

almost had the chance too, but TC had to fix a water heater that day...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
          my old LG Flatron 19inch did 1920x1400 @75Hz. which was pretty pointless for anything besides graphics editing.
          it was a bit bulky (~25kg) for the move a few years ago so it ended on the curb I think. pretty sure it found a new home in some gypsy trailer.
          got it cheap (50€ or so) and it really was a great monitor. perfectly flat, no trinitron wires, BNC input, USB hub....
          Nice. My Nokia isn't perfectly flat but i don't mind. It also doesn't have that stupid purple antiglare coating, so nothing to get scratched on it. Owning both types of tube (regular shadow mask and Trinitron), IMO the regular tube is better... I don't mind the Trinitron wires, but as you get close to the physical resolution of the tube the Trinitron starts behaving somewhat like the scaling on a LCD - the rows become noticeable on small text. While a regular shadow mask tube just becomes blurry if the resolution is too high.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          People were always complaining about the motion in LCDs for games... I think this is a bunch of hooey.
          Nowadays, yes. Back in the day it was a big problem. Especially with laptops.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          But I agree that CRTs are still better. Why? No fixed aspect ratio and the light from a CRT is good for your eyes.
          Agreed 100%. Plus you get a contrast control that can do "night mode". I always run low contrast at night. It doesn't strain my eyes with text, and it gives games a surreal atmosphere.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          I much prefer CRTs for gaming etc, faster response, better quality colours and proper blacks.

I've got a Sony CPD-G500 21" and IBM 6652-T3S 21" in the basement... sadly neither of them work.

Would love to get them going and use them, but I have pretty much zero experience with CRTs.
          Well, start a new topic, what are you waiting for. You've done your fair share of repairs i see, if you can grab hold of a service manual it shouldn't be too hard.

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
          The current lcd monitor I have is bad when in game it streaks especially when going form white to black so if I were to drag a window with dark borders u see where it's just been dragged from.
          That is commonly known as ghosting, and it was a major problem with older panels. What year was your LCD made?

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          not if i beat you to it!

almost had the chance too, but TC had to fix a water heater that day...
          A big guy like you needs a big monitor... go for it.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Highest was 2048x1536 at 85hz
            I usually ran at 1600x1200 at 100hz because things just got too damn small otherwise, gaming was great at that res tho!
            Monitor was an Eizo Flexscan, the model escapes me.
            It was not due to choice but because it failed that I switched to LCD's, spent allot of time researching tho and in the end got a Eizo S2000 that I still use now several years later...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The new LCDs have pretty good response times but the old ones were horrible... the pixels can't turn off fast enough and you get ghosting around fast-moving elements.

Take my IBM 380ED laptop for example, the response time on that is hideous. In fact it's so bad it gives most DOS games the impression of some kind of 'fake antialiasing' (I think it's some very old screen technology before TFT)

You can easily tell too, when dragging windows around the screen when the text and window edge etc goes extremely blurry while dragging.

The motion is certainly fluid - no jerking etc but it's the response time that sucks.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Well, start a new topic, what are you waiting for. You've done your fair share of repairs i see, if you can grab hold of a service manual it shouldn't be too hard.
              I'm sure I'll try it eventually, but to be honest they still kinda scare me...
              Last edited by Agent24; 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                (I think it's some very old screen technology before TFT)
                It's probably a passive matrix.
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I love big CRTs. Hope I'm not too late for the party .
                  Highest I could do was 1920x1200 @ 85 Hz on my GDM-FW900 . It's simply amazing. What I said when I first turned it on:
                  Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                  I fucking love Trinitrons.
                  I actually wanted to push it higher just to see what it would look like (technically it can do 2304x1440), but the computer I had it hooked up to couldn't push it past 1920x1200 (old AMD 750 MHz with Radeon 7200 with 64 MB VRAM).
                  That monitor is now sitting on the floor of my room. Why? - because all of my computers are just too old for it. Sure I can run it, but then my computer lags horribly because most of them simply don't have enough power to scale things at that resolution. Watching video (be it YouTube or regular video) without the computer lagging horribly is impossible, so I can't really enjoy that monitor fully at this moment. When I get a better computer some day, though, I'll hook it up and enjoy it to its full potential. For now, it waits (nicely covered so no dust can get in it).

The other monitor that I could set to a pretty remarkable resolution was an old 17" KFC Smile CA6738SL. Maximum it did was 1600x1200 (@ 75 Hz if I remember correctly). Looked blurry, though, since the tube is only 0.25mm dot-pitch. Also very dark. Even 1280x960 wasn't very clear. 1152x864 was okay. Only 1024x768 was very crisp.
                  This monitor has a shadow mask tube made by NEC, though, so the image quality is actually very good. And one thing I definitely like about it is the refresh rates - allows me to do 100 Hz at 1024x768! What about 800x600? - 160 Hz! Not bad for an average monitor made in 1998. Excellent contrast and very deep blacks, too. I tried it out again recently, and it's making me reconsider the shadow mask technology. Maybe now I need to look for big shadow mask displays on Craiglist. A nice 21" NEC would be a good addition to my collection .

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3
                  though my desk will likely have to suffer a remodel to support it.

yes, you'll need some bricks and cement.

Originally posted by Topcat
                  I just cant bring myelf to throw it away...
                  No, don't ever think again about throwing it away! Ever! (it hurts me when you do )

Originally posted by lti
                  I used to have a 15" CRT that had a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I think that would be almost unreadable. I wouldn't even use a 17" CRT at that resolution.
                  I agree. 1024x768 is the max I'd use on a 17" CRT. Most get pretty blurry after that anyways, so no point.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  i can read it just fine...
                  Too close to your face. Bad for your eyes.

Originally posted by Agent24
                  Would love to get them going and use them, but I have pretty much zero experience with CRTs.
                  Me either. But I'll help with what I can cause I love CRTs. They actually aren't that dangerous at all. Sure there are high voltages inside, but the currents at those voltages are usually too low to kill (unless you have a weak heart or something).
                  After unplugging it and discharging the tube anode, it should be safe to work. Also make sure to check the primary cap - most PSUs will discharge it right away, but in the case of my KFC Smile, it held the cap fully charged for a week. Almost zapped myself. Good think I checked it with a multimeter first.

Originally posted by mockingbird
                  and the light from a CRT is good for your eyes.
                  I don't know if it really is "good", but I agree with what you're saying and I like it better too. Definitely better than LCD. CCFLs emit a lot of UV light.

I also like the fact that when I dim my CRTs, both the black and white levels dim evenly, whereas on an LCD, the whites become dark but the blacks are still not very good.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3
                  A big guy like you needs a big monitor... go for it.
                  Don't know about RD, but in my case, the monitor weighs almost as much as I do.
                  (42 kg vs 60 kg). And I carried two of these beasts from the owner's house to my car (about 20 meters), then through a narrow area in my garage, and finally 2 floors up to my room - all by myself.
                  At least no one can steal them easily .
                  Last edited by momaka; 07-08-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Too close to your face. Bad for your eyes.
                    It is as harmful as dihydrogen monoxide.

seriously, that myth was debunked a long time ago. I have been that close for my whole life and aside from some near-sighted-ness (genetic), my eyes have been fine.
                    sigpic

Comment

It is as harmful as dihydrogen monoxide.

seriously, that myth was debunked a long time ago. I have been that close for my whole life and aside from some near-sighted-ness (genetic), my eyes have been fine.
                      I have underware as old as you so the "My whole life" thing isn't saying much. It's not a myth just wait till you get close to 50 and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        That is commonly known as ghosting, and it was a major problem with older panels. What year was your LCD made?
                        Not a clue It's a hp Pavilion f1903 20.0 ms response time.
                        I will be using the Samsung monitor that I fixed soon.
                        My pc
                        CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                        MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                        RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                        PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                        GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

That 20.0 ms responce time kills it for gaming.

Comment

There are many good LCD monitors in sub 5ms to 10ms. And don't be just passive, demand loudly to the LCD monitor makers to fix the lag in the scaler board. Going by native resolution and HDMI/DVI bypasses the scaling delays.
                            Also to anyone who have decent monitor and TV like samsung, change name for the input to "game" will shut down the scaling and video processing to give you the minimum delay. Other compititors may have this feature but that takes some digging to find out.

High resolution LED LCD monitors are out there, be prepared to pay. I do not care for the CRT due to heat and bulkiness. And good to go green anyway.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by wikipedia
                              CRTs can emit a small amount of X-ray radiation as a result of the electron beam's bombardment of the shadow mask/aperture grille and phosphors. The amount of radiation escaping the front of the monitor is widely considered unharmful. The Food and Drug Administration regulations in 21 C.F.R. 1020.10 are used to strictly limit, for instance, television receivers to 0.5 milliroentgens per hour (mR/h) (0.13 µC/(kg·h) or 36 pA/kg) at a distance of 5 cm (2 in) from any external surface; since 2007, most CRTs have emissions that fall well below this limit.
                              source: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=1020.10

like i said, that myth was debunked. the FDA even says its crap (see source)..
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
                                There are many good LCD monitors in sub 5ms to 10ms. And don't be just passive, demand loudly to the LCD monitor makers to fix the lag in the scaler board. Going by native resolution and HDMI/DVI bypasses the scaling delays.
                                Not all do, even some of the really expensive ones (as I found out the hard way!)

http://www.techspot.com/blog/645/an-...next-purchase/
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Old article (2 years ago!). Technology changes all the time at blurringly fast. Case in point: I bought a 19" (931C) in 2007 and panel was too slow and saw heavy smearing during fast scrolling. Bought new one last year 2010 LED LCD Samsung PX2370. No smearing. Things do improve.

Go to forums that is specific to the gaming and monitors and see what have changed. And general advices I put out still apply. The problem is not all monitor makers have clear info on disabling the processing even you are at native resolution. One of well known tip on samsung LCDs (tv & monitor) is change name of the input to "game" or via menu setting does this.

For example www.hardocp.com's forum's topics one of them is about monitors has deep thread just for this and up to date too on info.

When I look at web articles I always check their published date and 6 month old article can be old hat for specific topic that why I'm really frustrated when I urgently need up to date info to fix specific issues or learn certain things to help with my tasks. Also I do check old articles which is good for some general things but time sensitive stuff that's bad.

BTW, good catch on the 2 year old article.

Cheers, Wizard
                                  Last edited by Wizard; 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

like i said, that myth was debunked. the FDA even says its crap (see source)..
                                    I never mentioned anything about X-ray emission. I don't think you understood what I was trying to tell you.
                                    My main point is that having anything this close to your eyes is bad, be it CRT monitor, a book, or whatever else. And THAT is not a myth.

Originally posted by Wizard
                                    I do not care for the CRT due to heat and bulkiness. And good to go green anyway.
                                    I don't see how that is "going green". Having millions of people throw out their CRTs just to get cheap throw-away LCD monitors with CapXon caps is definitely not green. The old CRTs have to go somewhere after all, they don't magically disappear. Most go *crunch* in the dump truck and then out to a landfill to spill all of that wonderful lead in the tube. Or better yet, some of them get sent to China or some other 3rd world country for "recycling", where they still end up spilling up their guts in the environment. What makes it better, though, is that fuel must also be spent to ship these items to those countries - yeah, reall green.

CRTs aren't that much inferior to LCDs. If only Microsoft made Windows to default the screen to 75 Hz or 85 Hz, I think a lot more people would have kept their CRTs monitors.

Comment

My main point is that having anything this close to your eyes is bad, be it CRT monitor, a book, or whatever else. And THAT is not a myth.
                                      Thanks for not having me say that.

CRTs aren't that much inferior to LCDs. If only Microsoft made Windows to default the screen to 75 Hz or 85 Hz, I think a lot more people would have kept their CRTs monitors.
                                      In fact they are superior to the vast majority of krappy panels. The only real objections about CRTs are physical - ie size and weight.

Defaulting to a higher refresh rate wouldn't have been a solution tho - properly supporting DDC and auto selecting optimal refresh rate without having to go in the control panel, would. DDC has worked since Win9x ffs... why they didn't auto select "optimal" is beyond me.

Comment

I have a Dell CRT monitor which I like allot but it have some problem it still work how ever I had to size down the view size because it some what distorted and the refresh use to work at 75 MHz not any more it only work at 60 MHz and it also seem that the brightness seem to pule ate
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I never mentioned anything about X-ray emission. I don't think you understood what I was trying to tell you.

I don't see how that is "going green". Having millions of people throw out their CRTs just to get cheap throw-away LCD monitors with CapXon caps is definitely not green. The old CRTs have to go somewhere after all, they don't magically disappear. Most go *crunch* in the dump truck and then out to a landfill to spill all of that wonderful lead in the tube. Or better yet, some of them get sent to China or some other 3rd world country for "recycling", where they still end up spilling up their guts in the environment. What makes it better, though, is that fuel must also be spent to ship these items to those countries - yeah, reall green.

Thank you very much.

What kind of X-rays are produced with our ~30kV? The name for them is also one of the ways a tube can go bad. Soft ones! Lower kVP and less penetrating power.

If only I had a dollar for every CRT I saw running at 60Hz and without the image fully expanded, I'd be filthy rich.

This whole enviroNAZI thing is just outta control. I love watching people with 5 second attention spans dump something because "it's the wrong color now, it's out of style" or "one little scratch." The walmart mob mentality has caused this hysteria where people "buy, buy, buy!" What ever happened to paying for, owning and appreciating something? Too many need an excuse to sell themsevles out to red china- oh excuse me, buy something 'new.'

We're not supposed to 'look behind the curtain' and find the flaws in the pseudo-religeon. No, we're told to just sit back... "Yes, all the fuel costs; yes, it still works; it's good to stimulate the economy(what economy?), well, it was a waste, but those aren't green." "You just be quiet now, that's green because we say it is.

My desk is strong enough, TC!

-Paul
                                          Last edited by kaboom; 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM.
                                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                          Originally posted by shango066
                                          All style and no substance.
                                          Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Working...
                                          X