Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paxville or Bust! The Supermicro X6DA8 Project

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I diddled around with this a little this morning... Mainly for testing purposes to make sure I have working hardware. This test is with the Irwindale processors. Of course this post was created from it. Wtaerfox 56.1.0 functions excellent on it. Quick load and smooth as silk browsing....although I haven't put it through the youtube test....

I now remembered one of the sucky parts about SCSI, its the slowest booting bastard, even though its U320 with a 15k RPM HDD. Once it boots, its fine (benchmarks to come when I get it to a permanent state).

Missing caddies located and replaced.

CPU-Z:

More to come, but back to my other project for now.
    CPU-Z shows wrong Vcore value, SMH...

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/5960/Irwindale

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/6191/Paxville
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-26-2018, 11:21 AM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^
      Now that you mention it, yea. If they were running at 2.6v, they'd be melting.

Just to be sure, I checked the BIOS monitoring, its where it should be. Bug in CPU-Z I guess....my *guess* would be that CPU-Z is adding the 2 VCORE values into one reading.

Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        This system was the freebie from the county. Stellar solid Enlight case with Enlight 470w PSU. I did the usual inspection of the PSU (whch appeared to be working)....and lo & behold, some bad fukyou caps, but otherwise its a very beefy PSU.
        still a garbage PSU, as are (almost) all Topower made ones.

That one looks like it doesn't have the active PFC Board, does it??
        And its either P4 or P5 series...
        And the big heatsinks are due to really shity efficiency - the one's I've seen are around 65%, maybe lower 70% range...

Even if it seems fine, I'd throw it away and use a more trustworthy unit...
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 04-26-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
          I did that to my 2007 GeForce 7600 GS, LOL. Focking FZ caps!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

And the big heatsinks are due to really shity efficiency - the one's I've seen are around 65%, maybe lower 70% range...

I'm not using that PSU in this build, I haven't even messed with it beyond taking the cover off. I have a couple Supermicro PSU's to choose from (a 865W and a 665W, both are Ablecom built), and those are bulletproof.

The pics shown are using a bench supply, Antec HE650 (seasonic & recapped)....good PSU's.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I piddled around with it a little this morning, I got the case debadged, sticky goo removed, and washed out.

Just a few pics...

So much awesome!

Even more elderly PC awesome!

More later.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I assembled this system this morning. Its so nice working with well-built cases!!

I ended up using a 500w Supermicro PSU (Not sure who OEM'd this one)...Yes RD, its that one that came out of one of your new cases many moons ago. I used it in another system, and sold it a few years ago....the client upgraded and I ended up with that system back...and here we are.

Anyway, I want to change HDD's around a bit. It's running a single 146gb 15k RPM. I want to get a few more and try a few different SCSI RAID configs, for benchmarking & testing purposes....but its running & stable right now, in an awesome & clean case. Fun project for under 100 bucks!

Photographic goodness....

Here's the Crystal DiskMark for a single drive U320 15k RPM on an Adaptec 2120S RAID controller....yikes its slow compared to SAS! I'll retest this when I can run it in a raid0/10.

I'll hunt down some drives whenever I have some more free time... This post of course created from the freshly assembled Irwindale Awesomeness.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Pretty nice to see old server-grade still kicking. But I can't help and be nervous when I see a pile of boards stacked up without an ESD bag. Hahaha

Comment

No, this one is actually a pretty reliable PSU. Just has pretty low efficiency, like you said. It's basically a 5V design with a "beefed-up" 12V rail. Of course, like any oldschool design like that, don't expect to pull full total label power on the 12V rail or even half of that without some serious sag on the 12V rail. But all in all, it's a good PSU and is more than adequate for the system that it was running (sans the Quaddro FX4800, of course).

That said, be glad this PSU didn't come with APFC. Otherwise, that efficiency number would have been even worse. Not to mention make a big dent in reliability. Only real server-grade PSUs can be considered reliable with APFC, at least from what I've seen. The APFC garbage we see in consumer units today is just a ticking time bomb. A few years and *bang* goes the primary cap(s). I have seen very very FEW oldschool PSUs with voltage-doubler circuit have their primary caps go bang (usually, it's from incident with the 115/230V switch set to 115V on 230V mains). In contrast, I have seen a considerable amount of "modern" units with blown APFC circuits / primary caps - even with Japanese brands.

Originally posted by Snayperskaya View Post
                    But I can't help and be nervous when I see a pile of boards stacked up without an ESD bag. Hahaha
                    ESD is rarely a problem, unless you live in a really dry climate or store your stuff in a dry room environment (especially with carpet).

I too rarely store my stuff in an ESD bag. Here on the US East Coast, there's too much moisture in the air during the summer and fall for ESD to be a problem. On the flip side of that, moisture causes contacts to tarnish a lot quicker. And if you store your stuff in an underground / basement with lots of dust, that's almost equivalent of storing your stuff under water, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      No, this one is actually a pretty reliable PSU. Just has pretty low efficiency, like you said. It's basically a 5V design with a "beefed-up" 12V rail. Of course, like any oldschool design like that, don't expect to pull full total label power on the 12V rail or even half of that without some serious sag on the 12V rail. But all in all, it's a good PSU and is more than adequate for the system that it was running (sans the Quaddro FX4800, of course).
                      Thats why I didn't use it in this build....I'm going to recap it and store it for a retro box....some oddball P-classic through P3 era system. This system would be a little overwhelming for it, not only for the higher TDP netburst CPU's, the FX4800, and then add in 4x 15,000RPM HDD's (the originals were 2x 9.1gb 7200RPM)...
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Those systems are great fun to build but none want them. I have a room full of fun builds going back to the 8086 8088 days and while I love them like my kids, all they do is take up space and collect dust.☹️

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                          Those systems are great fun to build but none want them. I have a room full of fun builds going back to the 8086 8088 days and while I love them like my kids, all they do is take up space and collect dust.☹️
                          I have one (X6DA8-G2, Twin 3.8 Irwindales w/ Geforce 9800GT GPU) as my living room PC. Does that make me weird?

It struggles a bit on 1080P 60 frame youtube videos , but otherwise it does what it needs to...
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

It struggles a bit on 1080P 60 frame youtube videos , but otherwise it does what it needs to...
                            By how much? A jerk fest like a later-2010s Braswell laptop CPU?

The (Pentium N3700, IIRC) laptop that was given to my sister was shit, when it came to 60 FPS 1080p YouTube videos!
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                              By how much? A jerk fest like a later-2010s Braswell laptop CPU?

The (Pentium N3700, IIRC) laptop that was given to my sister was shit, when it came to 60 FPS 1080p YouTube videos!
                              Stutters every 3-10 seconds. Lots of buffering but not due to the actual buffer.
                              sigpic

Comment

...and another strange sleeper is born... Finally got around to testing this X6DAL. It's the DDR1 version, I've got 8x 2gb sticks, so populating all 6 slots gives me 12gb.....good enough. It flunked the Paxville test, it would only recognize one CPU (both cores), but socket 2 was not seen. This board came with a pair of 3.6GHz Irwindales, of course both CPU sockets show and function with the Irwindales installed.

...but I've got a couple old P3-era beige Aopen cases that this might fit nicely in...

Attached Files
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Lots of buffering but not due to the actual buffer.
                                  I think I had that kind of issue before, even with a Core 2 and later, IIRC, LOL.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

...and here's the start...I'll just throw this build into this thread since they're kind of 'cousins', no need for a new one.

What better use for an old beige Aopen case...

Some modifying will be required (which makes it more fun anyway):

Old mATX P4 system (momaka, let me know if you want it, it works).

More to come....
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Maybe you should try an updated version.

Comment

...and looky what turned up in the junk pile...

Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

^I have the PNY "energy efficient" version in my irwindale box... slighly less performance (underclocked a tad), but uses a slimmer heatsink and is under 75W (no PCIe power connector, which is good since that PSU doesn't have it).
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X