Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace the LED chips that "stick out" (UN55E6150 +others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace the LED chips that "stick out" (UN55E6150 +others)

I am working on one of the LED strips from UN55E6150, that has the LEDs that stick out, see attached image.

I have played around with similar LED strip some time ago with no real success.
    Going at it from the top with heat gun melts the LED chip and its neighbors.
    Going at it from behind does not seem to heat it up enough to melt the solder.
    There is not enough room with the soldering iron to go at the solder points on the bottom of the chip.

How do I go about removing and replacing one of those?
    Attached Files

Re: How to replace the LED chips that "stick out" (UN55E6150 +others)

These type of LEDs are, for me, very difficult to replace on the strip. I tried twice and ruined the strips. I eventually bought new strips and fixed both TVs. If I get another with similar issues to fix, I would just get new strips and replace them. You would be less stressed, believe me.

Comment

maybe one of these would work?
      http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalog/pro...rework-station
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZVQKEp6jxk

Comment

How is the LED attached? BGA or leads to the board?

If it's BGA, try heating from the bottom with hot air. It will take a lot of heat and more time than from the top. But I imagine that would be the best way to not ruin the LED. And if the LED strip has strong ground and power planes, you could just try ripping the LED of the strip with physical force. NOTE: this doesn't always work and can ruin either the LED or the strip or both. I use that trick to remove SMD electrolytic caps only on completely dead video cards that I don't care to fix. Most of the time, the SMD electrolytic cap will snap off and not get damaged or damage the board. Crude, I know.
        But some things just simply are not worth the time to repair or mess with.

Comment

I would put on a hot plate and heat to 180 C
          And then come in from the top with a hot air gun will be much easier like that.

or you could use a dremel to remove the faulty one
          carefully grind it away.

Comment

Well, I done it, sort of.

My failed attempts included: I have covered the adjacent chips with aluminum foil to depreciate the heat. I have blasted it with heat gun from the top and all it done was melted the plastic on the chip. Did not even loosed the solders on the PCB. I tied heating it up from the back with 350C, however the PCB is aluminum, which conducts heat really well. I was keeping the heat gun on it for 5 min until I stared to notice that the top of the LED strip itself began to warp and brown, but the chip was still on there strong.

What I ended up doing: There is a mild gap between the PCB and the LED chip. I have taken my skinniest soldering tip and flattened it to roughly the same height. "soldering shovel " I have cracked the solder to 11 and jammed it in there. After several sweaty seconds, it came loose. See the pictures for results. Not my best work, but it worked.

My replacement LEDs are still in mail. I will make an update to conclude this pain is the ...
            Attached Files

Comment

I carry out a lot of back light LED repairs and depending upon the thermal mass I use either a pace thermo jet Tj70

https://www.paceworldwide.com/produc...ensatemp-black.

Or a Hako FR802 hot air rework station.

https://www.tequipment.net/HakkoFR802-11.html

Other than using something similar to the above if you don't have access to then I would probably go with replacing the whole strip particularly if this is a client repair.
              Last edited by llonen; 10-26-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Previously posted by llonen: Other than using something similar to the above if you don't have access to then I would probably go with replacing the whole strip particularly if this is a client repair.
                I would just replace the whole strip even if it is for my personal use.

Comment

Working...
                X