Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN60E530 no picture

Hi

My Samsung PN60E530 started acting funny a few months ago, not showing a picture when turned on (just sound). After turning it on/off a couple times it would work just fine. Problem started getting worse and now can't get it to show picture anymore. I did a bunch of research online and replaced a few boards. Started with Y-sustain and buffers. After changing them, I could hear clicking and a little buzzing right after powering it on, but still no picture. I went on and replaced x-sustain, to no success.

Not sure now if it's an issue with power supply, main board or just a bad panel. I checked voltages on PS (Vs and Va). They both peak at the right values when I power the tv on, but then drop to close to 0. I unplugged Y-sustain from x-sustain and same issue, just now I felt the voltage dropped more slowly. When I unplug x-sustain from PS, voltages on PS are 0.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be the issue here? How can I diagnose which board is faulty, or if I have a bad panel?

Thanks

Re: Samsung PN60E530 no picture

Look closely at the logic board - this board is the small green one usually in the centre of the TV and it connects to the rest of the boards. (It's not the one with HDMI ports on it - that's the main A/V board.) Does the green light on it blink? If it does, check if it blinks about once a second, or about once every 6 seconds.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi tom66, thx for the quick response! It blinks every 6 sec.

Comment

OK, that indicates DRV RESET which is either an X-main, Y-main or buffer board fault. Try checking Vscan on Y-main and Ve on X-main (voltage test points) they should compare to panel sticker.

Also I would suggest removing both of the X- and Y-main and checking them thoroughly for shorted transistors.

You can try testing the buffer board:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SZ...Y&noredirect=1

Lastly, check the panel very carefully for a small crack, especially around the edge, as it can also cause this fault. If the panel is cracked unfortunately it would not be a repairable problem.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi, problem solved!

Checked the voltages on x and y main and they seemed ok. I had 2 old y-buffer boards that I had just replaced with new ones from shopjimmy. I checked the old ones following the steps on your video and they seemed fine, so I put them back in (first upper, then lower). TV turned on when I replaced the lower one.

Was kinda weird - can't tell now if my old x-main or y-main were faulty too, but TV is working so it doesn't matter. Thanks tom66!

Comment

Doesn't surprise me, I'm guessing SJ hadn't tested the buffers they sent you thoroughly. If you test them as in the video and they come out bad I would send them back for a refund.

Comment

Hello,
              Having a difficult time troubleshooting this tv. Tv will show picture randomly but most of times plays only sound but no picture (typical). VS on Power supply will go to 203v and drops.

Disconnected buffer boards from Y main and did the same.
              Disconnected y-main (top connector loc CN5000) from X main, and still same.

Decided to ordered Y upper and lower buffers, X main, and Main Board from Shopjimmy, also a Y main board from Ebay (Exchange service - No returns offered).

Replaced everything and still the same.

Today I found that by disconnecting the bottom and top connector in the Y Main, meaning isolating Y main completely, the VS voltage remains at 203v. Voltage did not drop anymore.

Do you guys think I got a defective Y Main board from this Ebay seller or do I have a bad panel.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Logic board blink 1 every 6 sec

Thank you
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Louis82; 04-19-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Any suggestions anybody ?

Comment

Hi,

I suggest installing all of your original parts except leave the replacement y main board. The original fault is likely the y main board but you could have created another issue if one of the other replacement boards are defective.

Comment

Thank you for replying Nicholas. I did. I put all my original circuit boards and i get the same. Steady VS when I disconnect both connectors from Y-Main.
                    If i disconnect only the top connector on Y-Main, Vs voltage drops. That have me confused.
                    I also believe Y-Main could be my problem. So hard to find this circuit board, and made the desperate mistake of purchasing it from Ebay with no returns option.
                    As today I found Andrews Electronics have it available.

Comment

Hi,

The logic board shuts down the voltages if a fault is detected. This is why if you disconnect the ribbon cable to the y main the voltages stay steady. The issue with these boards are usually 3 blue capacitors near the yellow transformer. Off the top of my head I'm not sure the exact location. I have repaired about 10 of these so far. There are 2 versions of this y main. One has the blue caps and one doesn't. The board that doesn't have the caps the issue is the small ic chip next to the yellow transformer. Hope this makes sense. You should be able to repair your original board which then save you some money so you don't have to purchase another board.

Comment

Thank you Nicholas. I wish I had enough skills to perform repairs by component level.
                        I checked this Y-Main that I bought and seems like they did replaced/soldered the IC next to transformer. No signs of soldering on capacitors.
                        Capacitors show 106 printed on it. How or what should i look for capacitors replacement.
                        Thank you again for your time.
                        Here some pics of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Most likely they just replaced the ic chip then and not the capacitors then if there is no sign of sign of soldering on them. If you still have the x main board you purchased from shopjimmy then you should be able to use some of the capacitors from there. I recommend replacing all 3 small blue caps near the ic chip. After that you should be up and working again. It is not very difficult to replace the caps. As long as you have a soldering iron just add Alittle new solder to the leg, then heat up the leg and just pull on the capacitor as you heat the leg. The side that is being heated should slide right out.

Comment

UPDATE: Nicholas I did what you suggested. Replaced the 3 capacitors and it fixed the problem. I did notice that if I leave the buffers disconnected the VS voltage still drops. I guess this particular model requires having buffers connected to have a steady VS.
                            Thank you again Nicholas.

Comment

Modern Samsung sets (2010+) will shut down Vs/Va if any fault is detected with the sustains or buffers.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed

Comment

I have the same problem on my PN60E530. Sound but no picture. Where can I find the part numbers for the boards that need to be replaced?

Thanks,
                                  Tom

Comment

After testing voltages on my PN60, I decided to send the Y-Main out for service. I had this done through eBay, but Otex also does this direct through there business. I received the "repaired" board and after installation, I have the same problem. Slow blinking green LED with the ribbon cable connected to Y-main. Before sending my Y-main for repair, I tested my buffers for shorts and did not find any. I suspect that the repaired Y-main board is still the source of my problem. Looking at the repaired board, I can see some solder work but do not know exactly which items were replaced, or how they test the repaired boards. Any suggestions on what to do now? Otex said they would swap boards with me so I can verify that it is not the Y-main causing the fault. I am not sure if I should do that or not at this point. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
                                    Tom

Comment

If after isolating your Y-Main board completely (disconnect top and bottom connectors) you find that VS voltage stays on 203v, then I would think that the Y-Main is defective or it could also be a buffer causing the problem. I would take their offer of having the seller to send you another board. If it comes that you need buffer boards, you should check shopjimmy. Last time i checked they had many of them available.

Comment

I have had this same issue happen with this model. It has been acting up for months. Usually it would turn on with sound but no picture first and then I would be able to turn it off and back on and the picture would appear. Went on a vacation for a few days and came back to no picture at all. I think it's time to dig into it and see what I can fix.

I'm a bit of an amateur here, but I have worked on some of the old projection big screens in the past so I'm willing to tinker. Especially since it seems that a repair shop will charge me almost as much as I paid for it originally.

I've already taken the back off and exposed the panels. I'm having the same issue with the blinking green light, every six seconds. I haven't tested any voltages yet, but I'll be doing that tonight. I was wondering if anyone had a good resource to get a service manual from?

After some research, it seems likely that this may be a fault with the Y main board which of course is the only one that is impossible to find a replacement for. So I figure that I'll probably be rebuilding the board; which is why I'm hoping to find a manual that may give me testing specs for the board components. Is this something that would be listed in the service manual?

Comment

Working...
                                        X