Onkyo HT-R591 keeps clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo HT-R591 keeps clicking

On page 11 there is the power supply schematic. Do you have those voltages: 10V, 12V? What do you measure on the other pins?

Comment

Thought I had the proper service manual but I guess it's for a HT-R591 not a 591.. any chance you have it to share?

Comment

I have HT-R590 manual not 591

Comment

I have the same thing.
          May not be much of difference between them.
          Maybe the 590, it's a European version of the 591.
          Did you compared the schematic with he actual pcb designation, if the parts designation match, then you can use it.

Comment

On P911 I see 32.5v on one side and 13.4v on the other side

Comment

Do you have those on your Onkyo?

Comment

That's what I was reading right off the pins but noticed I had a bad ground.. off the main transformer output I'm seeing 23.5v off each pin. Not sure what it should be though

Comment

Can i check the main transformers thermal fuse with it still connected?

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                    I would closely inspect every possible joint - at least around the fets/transistors. If a joint is suspect simply reflow the solder and continue inspecting the others.

Examples of such joints:
                    Earlier I took out all the boards and checked all the joints and re flowed a couple that looked iffy but nothing was clearly broken.. put it all back together with same results.. amp is clicking (relay on ps board before main trans).. everything seems to be getting power when metered 23.6v or so.. When I unplug the P911 from ps board to main trans it stops clicking.. not real sure what else to check. All the final transistors and ceramic resistors are ok. /shrug

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Still need help with this?

Comment

I have the same problem. I noticed that the joins coming out of the PCB on the rear side of the transformer had some golden glazing all over them. I used the needle of my ohm-meter and scraped that crud off from between the joints(with it unplugged). Turned back on and so far so good... I think that stuff was causing some current to be leaking across the joints. I hope this fixes it. I was about to buy a new receiver.

Comment

well, my excitement was short lived. i turned on some tunes and was just broke the good news to my wife when it cut off and started doing its stupid relay dance again looks like I have to figure out how to test that thermal fuse...

Comment

Can I remove the thermal fuse and just test the unit by bridging that connection with a jumper? I plan to unsolder just one end of it. I can't find one like it. Only higher amperage or higher temp ones.

Comment

@tibimakai did you use a 3A fuse or one of the many 10A available on ebay? I can't find anything that's close to 145C and 3A. I feel like I can use a higher amperage one and just get close enough temperature...

Comment

I have used a 150C/10A/250V one.

Comment

Can I test my fuse by putting a jumper across those terminals where the fuse solders in?

Comment

I'm not an expert, but I would do it, maybe using a fuse just in case.

Comment

Good call, I don't have any non-automotive fuses laying around (I don't think). I'll go try to find one and use it. I'll let you guys know. @r3ap3r911, any luck figuring out your problem?
                                        Last edited by IDoSeaDoo; 08-06-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Well, it turned out I did have some 250V 5A fuses laying around. I put one between two test leads and bridged the connection between the yellow wire and the center pin on the transformer and was sucessfully able to watch an uninterrupted hour of comedy with the wife and friend. Looks like that thermal fuse is my culprit as well. I am not sure how you got it out of there by just removing the plastic pieces, but I am about to try it myself. I looked very carefully under the plastic and can't see the fuse under there. Will dig into it tonight probably. Oh and I found a 142C 10A 250V fuse at a local Radio Shack. I figure 3C isn't too much a difference. Going to try it.

What was the importance of wrapping it in heatshrink tubing?

Comment

Working...
                                          X