How to: Original xbox usb mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Original xbox usb mod

have a bunch of xbox contollers sitting around with no xbox to use them with? need a computer joypad with analog triggers but dont want to drop a bunch for a 360 controller (or use linux which has no stable 360 controller support)

then this is for you

here we go!

you will need:

an xbox controller. 3rd party ones work, too. mine was cheap:

see? goodwill is your friend

also:

a usb cord. this one came from a dead keyboard. it can be 1.1 or 2.0, since the xbox was 1.1 based

next: the assembly
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: How to: Original xbox usb mod

to start, cut the cords. make sure that the combined length is less than 16ft, due to signal strength issues

i only needed to cut the xbox cord, since the other cord was cut awhile back.

the reason i cut the xbox cord so short was:

1- keyboard cord was already kinda long

2- the rest of the xbox cord was trashed and twisted.

now: expose your wires:

WAIT!!!

why does the xbox have a yellow wire, but the usb doesnt?

idk why. but all you do is cut the yellow wire:

next, tape the 2 cords together like so (see below pic) and mout them somthing like a vice , helper hands, etc:

next, strip your first wires. now that yellow is gone, the colors match up. i did red first

then twist them together and solder:

cut some off the end off, since the solder is not structural and the end is usually ugly and sharp:

repeat for black, white, and green.

when you've done that, it should look like this:

now, tape around each splice:

then tape around all of the splices:

then, fold it over like so and tape:

and fold over one of the cords and tape:

and tape over the whole wrap:

next: testing your work!
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

to test, it is easy.

for windows:

download xbcd @ http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

it works really well. i installed it on my dad's xp box:

the xbcd monitor. oddly, this stock controller has sticks that dont center well. the other 3rd party ones centered fine. even the crappy madcatz one.

the windows style monitor, to see what windows sees.

rumble tester. moving the sliders will make the controller vibrate.

fyi, the card slots work, too to use them, download the action replay driver. idk where you can find it but someone out there has it.

for linux:

the xpad driver is pre-installed in the kernel. no setup required.

if your distro likes it, you can install the joystick calibration app. sorry, no screenshots as ubuntu 9.10 doent seem to support that app.

but, it acts like a standard joypad, and the each of the triggers ARE seen as a axis. i use it in supertuxkart and torcs, you could use it in trigger and tremulos, and any other games that support joysticks

idk whether the slots work in linux, as i have no cards to test with.

what do you think?
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

Holy fuck, are you working on this at the dump? Digging the random RX bottle in one of the pics.

You can also connect the wires head on so it isn't such a huge lump. Either way it beats buying a gamepad or a more expensive 360 controller. These are really awesome with emulators for SNES, etc. I run them on my XBOX so by default I use an XBOX controller.

Comment

sorry, the garage is a mess right now... no time to clean it... a shelf fell and spilled all over. both of my parents work and idk where my dad wants his stuff so im afraid to move it. soon, we will have time to clean it. sorry about that.

my dad owns a lot of bicycles and thus has a lot of parts. sorry about that.

that bottle was nipples for bike spokes.

from here on, can we not talk about the cleanliness of my house? we all have issues. lets focus on my handywork and methods of modding.

yes you could, but this is how i was taught to make a strong strain relief. the solder should be non-structural. since its bound to be jerked around a lot, the strain relief is needed.
          sigpic

Comment

What could be more ironic than using a Microsoft Xbox controller on Linux? You should have used The Duke! Probably only would've cost you $1.99

I did this a while back too, but I went and bought a replacement break-away cord made by a third party, MadCatz or something similar. This is just the little cord that's about 3" long that breaks away if someone trips over cord. I hacked the end off that and soldered on the USB connector so I could still use the controller on the Xbox just by swapping this small cord. Of course, now that the 360 controller is officially supported in Windows, my original Xbox controller doesn't see a lot of action.

Comment

since i have no xbox, i saw no need for that. i still have the break-off cords for 2 of them... the madcatz was missing it's cord and the intec was straight-wired.

i have not seen any duke controllers at goodwill...

what is more ironic is linux has the xpad driver already in the kernel. windws requires the installation of xbcd. idk about mac, but who games on a mac? linux at least has some decent games.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                linux at least has some decent games.
                No.

Comment

yes

for free, these are pretty nice...

tremulous
                  TORCS
                  SuperTuxkart
                  Urban Terror
                  Trigger

also, lots windows games work with wine, cedega, or crossover.

you dont need 50 games that do the same thing.

besides, Flash games are fun too. but a gamepad wont help you there.

anyway, back tot he original topic of controllers, not games
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm no neat freak by any means so don't get bent out of shape. There just looks to be a lot of trash in that pile, ie crunched cardboard boxes.

Linux has OK games. It runs most of the other OS's games tho.

Get an XBOX at goodwill and mod it. And yes, you can run linux, put in usb ports and wireless cards. Its fun to make it do stuff.

Comment

but he xbox is DEAD. error light, burnt smell. se my new post in the free stuff thread... me got athon 64 x2 to play with...
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X