Using an ATX PSU with an Xbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an ATX PSU with an Xbox?

While I was four wheeling today I found what was left of an Xbox. The motherboard looked okay but the power supply was trashed and I need to see if the motherboard at the least still works.
    All I need to at least see is the front LED to go green and for me to at least get a video signal for now. The power cable that connects the PSU to the motherboard contains mostly 12V, 3.3V, 5V and ground leads as two other wires (PWRGOOD and PWRON). How hard would it be to substitute an ATX power supply for the broken Xbox power supply?
    Would it make things easier if the first test (does the thing even still turn on and output video?) did not require use of the power button?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Using an ATX PSU with an Xbox?

Maybe the psu pinout can be useful: it seems a standard atx psu coupled with a 12 pin connector.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

While the xbox power supply has standard 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt outputs there is where the similarities end.

The Power On wire signal must be inverted in order for the PC PSU to come on when the xbox sends the power on signal.

You also need to step down the standby voltage.

This board does it well:

http://diy.sickmods.net/Our_Products...nverter/About/

This is because the stock xbox supply has a 3.3 volt always on standby while a standard ATX PSU has a 5 volt always on standby.

So in addition to inverting the PSU on voltage you also need to use a voltage regulator for the standby.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Okay then, I think I can handle the rest.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
        X