This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello. I just joined up and would like to say thanks in advance to the people who started this forum. While I have little true electrical engineering skills, I have been a person in audio for 50 years, and have been building computers on and off since CPM was the popular operating system. I got out of computers when the Mac was first introduced but returned to computers with Win 3.1. Now I am spoiled rotten with the stability of modern OS, USB, Terrabyte drives, wireless connections and low prices for nearly all computer tech. I am 62 years old and have spent 43 years as a Tool Maker, Mold Designer and now as a Solidworks Tooling designer. I very tech opinionated and and quite anal about care and maintenance of electronic and mechanical devices, within the scope of my knowledge anyway. I have been forced to become involved in cutting edge medical issues regarding the Liver and Kidneys since my wife is awaiting transplant of both. This makes my time quite short everyday for extras like fixing things and doing maintenance. No choice, but it sucks. I have a technical question about my TV but I will wait and post my question and all my gathered data regarding the issue in another thread. I might also say that I have spent 7 years as an Admin on a Battlefield 1942 server and made many friends as well as handled lots of disciplinary issues that the younger guys simply wouldn't bother with. I also was part of a WinMX worldwide music sharing site, with administrative duties as well. That all changed as the authorities came knocking at my "door", digitally speaking anyway. The gaming ended as I became physically too slow to compete as the games got more intensive and LCD monitors just don't work for me gaming. Some kind of motion sickness if my true refresh rate is not 100hz or more. Old age sucks. I am a firm believer that "What is not given is lost", and will answer any questions for anyone if I can be of any help at all.

Comment

Hello everyone. I am from the Madison WI area. I work as an IT professional (desktop administrator). I have always tinkered with electronics and of course build my own PC's. I recently acquired 2 1080p vizio TV's for free of craigslist that were taken out in a lightning strike. I hope to get at least one going as a cheap Garage TV.

Comment

Hello,

I'm from the Columbus, Ohio area. I like to pick things up on the cheap and try and fix em. Usually for myself but i have given a few of my rescue pieces away. Got a stumper and realized i should probably head here first before i try to do some serious troubleshooting (its for the inlaws tv).

Thanks before hand.

Comment

I have already tried an introduction here and was told I can't post until i have introduced myself. Kind of a Catch 22: can't post until introduced and can't introduce because I can't post. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know what, so I'll just let it go.

Thanks anyway.
          Clayno

Comment

Wow, reading these introductions I am either in the right place or in way over my head, which is nothing new for me. How did I get here? I like many other s am an 'original hacker'. If something I got breaks, I tear it apart and try to fix it. As I tell my wifey, who face has that permanent look of "What the H*** are you doing now??" I just say "It was broke before I tore it apart, honest honey!" SO, my tv broke and I decided it must be the power supply since nothing turns on. I can't tear it apart to check ant reading since she already had dinner on the table. TO THE INTERNET! and I found your site AND you had PDF files for checking LCD monitors. BUT I had to register to get access to the pdf's. Glad I did, as I can see I'll be spending a lot of time learning from the other users and from the content I get get to read. This should be fun!!!

Comment

Hi all,

english is not my first language and i hope ppl will not be annoyed by my "english"
              i have a few things laying around that i would like to try to fix, if ppl are willing to help out to figure out what the problem is or could be to narrow it down.

Peter

Comment

Hi folks.

I have a Pioneer Kuro late model KRP-500A that's just died, and googling brought me here.

Cheers

Comment

Hello, My name is Kirk. I am an electrical engineer. Like most of you I am the "fix it" guy for my family and friends. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum

Comment

I only know enough about computers to get myself in trouble . . but am at least smart enough to know where and when to get expert input (which is nearly all the time!) Have built a few computers from scratch (so to speak, from the shelves in parts stores etc) and done minor laptop repairs (keyboards, fan, etc) but am essentially still a newbie, so am really happy to have discovered this excellent site, to augment my slowly increasing knowledge (as in as slow as a glacier's advance or melting, depending on whether you believe the global warming crap!)

Comment

Hello,
                      My name is Leonard. I am retired from my regular job. I have quite a bit experience repairing all sorts of electronics. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum.

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hello everybody my name is Ed, I'm from California, I stumbled across this website browsing and thought wow this site looks pretty good. That's my story, lol, everyone have a great evening.

Comment

Hoping to get some help with bios pw.... what a headache.

Comment

Hello everybody,

I am Antonio from Rome, Italy.

Comment

Hi, all! I'm tannenbaum from balmy Florida, U.S.

Sometimes I find electronics in thrift shops and on the curb that just need a little love and attention to revive them. That's why I'm here! I love learning and can't wait to hear from you all.

I have little experience with repairing electronics, but I want to learn. Knowledge is power!

Comment

Hi, I'm Grant from Cincinnati, Ohio.

I seem to have picked up the habit of grabbing TVs out of the garbage and its gotten me started on electronics projects, arduino, etc.

Comment

Hello from Lilburn Ga.

Comment

First of all just want to say hello to every one.

Nothing special about me. Just curious about how it's made and why is working

Comment

Hi Everyone. My Name is Jason. I am from the Philadelphia suburbs. I have worked in IT for 15 years or so assembling servers, personal computers, working with VMs... I am mostly a Windows guy but I dabble with Unix/Linux sometimes. I have very little ability when it comes to board level troubleshooting and repair (and just enough guts to fix a few appliances in the past on my own), which is why I am here.

Comment

Name is Noah. I tinker in electronics and HAM radio. If it's broke, I'll at least take it apart just to see how way over my head it is. Every now and then I get it back together, and once it a blue moon I'll actually fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X