Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECS 945GZT-M would not power off. Sound died also.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS 945GZT-M would not power off. Sound died also.

I have an ECS 945GZT-M board that was working really good on my son's PC. Then one day he told me that the computer was making noise all night. I saw it from afar and no leds were turned on (from the first pic you can tell that it is easy to tell if the computer is on or not ). Then I checked and the fan on the PSU was on. That PSU is (was) a BesTec 300w and I was thinking on changing it, and that was the perfect opportunity). Then I installed another and the same : computer would not turn off. Also, sound died : no errors, no driver problems, just no Audio output.
    Most caps are G-Luxon, and three 16v 1800uf near the CPU are TK. Seeing a thread about an 865 with TKs (Fry's Mobo with TKs thread , I think I'm going to give it a try. I replaced one so far with a Rubycon MBZ I found from a dead Dell GX240 board, and I think I should have some more. But any idea on why it does not power off? It is stable and except for not having sound (which I don't really care) it was working good.
    Any feedback would be really appreciated.
    Attached Files
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Re: ECS 945GZT-M would not power off. Sound died also.

two more photos. Hope this helps. If needed, I can post additional pics of needed area, or more data, as needed.
    Eduardo.
    Attached Files
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

bet the bestec killed the southbridge.
      +5stby overshoots.

Comment

Some folks are not aware that you have to push AND HOLD the power button at least 5 seconds to force the hardware to turn off. I'm just asking this question to make sure this is being done.

There are a zillion reasons why Windows won't turn off the machine, but those are all Windows problems and not hardware.

KC8, if the Bestec smacked the southbridge, he wouldn't even get off the ground would he? I'm understanding this system is working, but won't shut down....

Comment

a damaged sb can cause lots of issues.
          one of which is keeping the system on when it has been shut off.
          emachines do that when the bestec kills them.
          board is still running without cpu fan and no overtemp shutdown.
          it will run till the hsf retainer melts and the cpu core shorts.
          POOF!

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
            Some folks are not aware that you have to push AND HOLD the power button at least 5 seconds to force the hardware to turn off. I'm just asking this question to make sure this is being done.
            I've been assembling PCs for 15 years. Believe me, I know how to turn off a PC either an AT or the "new" ATX ones. I have heard about the standby power problem on that brand of PSUs, but honestly, as the rig was working good when I got it I never paid attention to it immediately, but ordered a replacement/upgrade PSU, just didn't had the time to swap it until the first problem showed up. Then, after that, I still used the MB to test components.
            The PSu has donated it's case to a better cause, as you can see in the pics. Now I have a generic 3.3, 5 &12v PSU to test monitors with (12v), just have to attach tips (which I have many, of different sizes, built by me with RShack tips).

There are a zillion reasons why Windows won't turn off the machine, but those are all Windows problems and not hardware.
            I agree, from IRQ conflicts to registry problems or even incorrect ACPI info. But I tested it in an exactly matching system (that I don't have anymore) and still no sound and no turn off. The hard disks were off, the CDs didn't open anymore (trays), just the MB fan was always running and the PSU with it. I even tested it using fresh installs when components were being tested, and with linux distros, either liveCD or on HDD, and nothing.
            Attached Files
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Tone of voice can't be heard over the internet, so I hoped to be clear that I was just asking... not demeaning. One never knows the level of skill held by the OP until the questions get asked..

I think KC8 is probably closer to the root cause.

I've seen a lot of weird eMachine bugs too... all caused by BESTEC power supplies. The boards themselves look to be good quality Intel boards... dunno why the SB fails on eMachines. Must be something peculiar to the BESTEC power supply. Pity. If I needed a really cheap box, I'd buy a new eMachine and toss the PSU immediately.

Comment

Tone of voice can't be heard over the internet, so I hoped to be clear that I was just asking... not demeaning. .
                Funny. I was just clarifying the fact that the "5 secs push" was attempted already. Also, I said Windows didn't shutdown because that was the OS in the rig at the time of the failure, not because I didn't know the 3.141592x10^64 issues that prevent Windows from properly shutdown AND power off the computer.

I didn't meant to be rude or not polite, and if that was the case, accept my most sincere apologies.

Still, the MB is dead. It is half way to the dumpster (after I remove all the caps on it). I really don't know what to do with it. But if you are right and the South Bridge is shot, I guess I can't do anything, right?
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

@ eguevarae: have you already cleared the cmos? Just to be sure the troubles you face aren't related to corrupted settings.

Zandrax
                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Edit: double post.

Zandrax
                    Have an happy life.

Comment

The Bestec PSUs is silent DEATH. Recap or toss!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                        @ eguevarae: have you already cleared the cmos? Just to be sure the troubles you face aren't related to corrupted settings.
                        Zandrax
                        Yes. I moved the jumper to the clear cmos, turned on, then off, and returned the jumper to the original position.
                        I also removed the 2032 overnight and retested in the morning, and nothing.
                        I guess I'm another victim of the Bestec plague.
                        I'll personally write to Peter Norton and John McAfee to include signatures in their respective AV programs to warn users that his PSU can actually KILL their rigs. Those PSUs are so dangerous that even AV programs should detect them.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Sorry: it seems that damn Bestek damaged but not actually fried the chipset, otherwise it would run so hot to burn any finger touching the heatsink. Though the mobo passed both Prime95 and memtest, I wouldn't trust it: damage may be progressive and lead to crashes or silent corruption, which is even worse.

Zandrax
                          Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                            Sorry: it seems that damn Bestek damaged but not actually fried the chipset, otherwise it would run so hot to burn any finger touching the heatsink. Though the mobo passed both Prime95 and memtest, I wouldn't trust it: damage may be progressive and lead to crashes or silent corruption, which is even worse.

Zandrax
                            Sorry, but exactly of what MB are you talking here?
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Any idea anyone?
                              Need more info to suggest something?
                              Or I just throw it to the green office?
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Take hard drive and COA sticker (peel with knife carefully) and throw whole PC away. Rebuild a new PC and put COA back on and reinstall windows minus the crapware that emachines likes to add to the windows.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                  Take hard drive and COA sticker (peel with knife carefully) and throw whole PC away. Rebuild a new PC and put COA back on and reinstall windows minus the crapware that emachines likes to add to the windows.

Cheers, Wizard
                                  I did that already : installed a Dynex 400w PSU, a side Window with blue Batman theme fan grill with blue leds, new board (first it was the ECS, now it has another ECS 945, but different layout), P4 2.8HT, 2GB DDR2 667, 160 HDD and a 19" LCD TV that serves his xBox, his TV needs (ATSC tunner) and the computer. The bestec has been dumped, except for the shell, and the board is on my bench. I just wanted to try to revive it. But I guess it will not be a good idea after all.

The kid loves the way the computer looks, by the way.
                                  Attached Files
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Zandrax, is it actually worth the time and expense to recap a BESTEC?

My initial thought is no, as it is just a standard supply.
                                    On the flip side, I have two Dell 4400 that use proprietary connectors, and are hard to find / pricey on the used market. These are probably worth recapping.

Comment

bestecs are fine once recapped.
                                      just get that 10@50 in the +5stby.i use a 22@50 fc.

Comment

Removed the Rubycons previously installed to revive another board. This board is technically dead (for me, at least). It will be used as a wall decoration, maybe next to my Maxtor that has the plates exposed ..... what a shame, as It worked great before a bad Bestec came in its way ...
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                        X