Gigabyte P35 Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte P35 Boards

I spent the afternoon poking around these boards on their website. They are making a big deal out of polymer caps, so I guess they follow this board.

It appears if one wants to not have the ICH9R (raid) controller, and prefers the ICH9 (non-raid) version, then one cannot buy the Silent Pipe heat convection system. Pity.

Tom's Hardware has done some Intel processor testing using this board, and they seem to like it for stability. I have no experience with Gigabyte, so am posting it here. It looks like GA-P35-DS3L might be a real nice board for a hundred bux. Combine it with DDR2-800 (or faster) and an E6750, it should be a hefty machine for a modest outlay.

Anybody have thoughts on Gigabyte for general reliability?

Re: Gigabyte P35 Boards

Gigabyte seem to be quite decent. Just make sure that you get the newest firmware update.

In the past Gigabyte was a typical company that used bad caps. However now they use good caps and advertise it (they must have lost a fair amount of business due to general reliability issues that were caused by using bad caps).

Comment

Gigabyte cleaned up their act big time after the great P51 electrolyte fiasco.
      Some of their more recent boards use KZG but those are chemi-con and probably still thought to be good outside of places like badcaps.net.
      I've had two of the i865 variety and I was quite happy with them.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

from what i have seen with gigabyte and asus, although all polymer might bring visions of all chemicon or oscon, like we have seen on some boards from last year, the reality is more like the red fujitsu and some taiwan polymers. but anyway thats not too bad.

one concerning thing i was reading about is the Jmicron ide controller which is commonly described as an "absolute piece of shit". so i guess it should be considered that they have no ide ports. i think some even use it for at least some of the sata ports as well lol.

can i have a board with intel gigabit lan...nope. good job they have a pci slot for a pro1000mt
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I am using a Gigabyte P35 board. It overclocks well if you desire. DDR2 800 goes to 960 no problem.

I got this board because it supports both DDR2 & DDR3.
          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3
          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

GA-P35-DS4 looks like it has a nice power section. seems like necessary to go over 100 euro for a nice one.
            http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...TE_GA-P35-DS4/
            http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1164&pageID=3917

Comment

My favourite is the P35-DS3 family, except the DS3L (too stripped down for my tastes): the DS3 is the plain ICH9 version, the DS3R employs the ICH9R one while the DS3P is aimed to wannabe overclockers. The DS4 would be fine if I know the vrm will not overheat due to the heatpipe (transfering heat from notrthbridge to vrm zone, which is usually warm per se and in a badly cooled corner, is not a good idea unless you like stress-testing components).

Other versions I 'm quite skeptical are P35T (only DDR3, which are expensive now), P35C (supports both DDR2 and 3, but there are some limits: the funniest one is you can have up to 8 GB in DDR2 modules and up to 4 in DDR3 ones, so it kills any upgrade desire at first) and EP35 (Energy reduction version: it doesn't employ better mosfets but simply is a bios and software combo which reduces the vcore. Other software can do the same thing for free).

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

I've seen plenty of chatter about the JMicron chip being pure junk. Most of these boards offer the Gigabyte SATA2 chip to provide IDE functions.

I also prefer the stripped down DS3 board, but can't find it from my usual suppliers. I don't want RAID, don't overclock, don't want ATi X-Fire. I do want absolute reliability and stability.

I am open to the heat pipe concept, but have no prior experience as to if they work or not. I always run standard clock speeds. CPU will probably be an E6750.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...4/index3.shtml

This page shows closeups. Can anybody identify the polymer caps?
                Last edited by bgavin; 02-11-2008, 09:26 AM. Reason: edited for typos

Comment

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2185&page=1
                  pcstats takes better pics.

the red are definitely fujitsu
                  the blue appear to be chemicon PSC and the little ones PSA (if they do indeed omit some of the typical writing for the small ones)
                  Last edited by willawake; 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: edited to insert typos

Comment

"JMicron chip being pure junk"

I have found threads saying the same too.. Think the P5k uses it too not sure on the number thought (as in if its the same but think so)

May last two MB's were Gigabyte and still going strong
                    (recap of GSC crap on one)
                    I nearly went that way with this build
                    (very close as I was happy enough with the last 2)
                    should add they were AMD socket A builds

but went Asus p5k deluxe wifi C2D 6750

Davmax did mention some issue but I think the bios update fixed that.

I dont know if the heat pipe thing is all its cracked up to be,
                    there don't seem to be much weight in them heatsink parts...
                    (my Asus)

So maybe you might be better off putting the heat sinks on yourself anyway.

Dont know,
                    anyone seen any conclusive testing on them ?

I'd buy a gigabyte again but like everything research the model just to be sure.

Cheers
                    Last edited by starfury1; 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM.
                    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I found a review of the P35-DS3L at Xbitlabs: I think you can apply this review to both DS3 and DS3R versions as well because they share the same pcb.

The main advantages the DS3 has on the DS3L are a 6 phase vrm vs a 4 phase one, 2 more Sata ports, a bigger heatsink (the P35 heats a lot and Xbitlabs guys had to put a fan on the skimpy DS3L heatsink) and more recent bios updates (last DS3 bios is the F12, dated january 2008, while for the DS3L there is only a beta F8a dated december 2007: I think the beta version means Gigabyte won't update that bios anymore). These advantages do cost: about 20 euro (US$ 25-30) over the DS3L price.

While you may not need a beefy vrm with resource savy Core 2 Duos and a lot of sata ports if you plugs only an hdd and a cd player, the heatsink and bios updates are IMHO a nice premium: moreover Gigabyte launched in these days the DS3 rev 2.1 (only add an overclock plus), so I think this board is still alive.

Zandrax
                      Have an happy life.

Comment

overclocker blows up red fujitsu
                        http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=151966&page=3

Comment

I see complaint against the P35C that the DDR3 limit is 4Gb, for many that would be quite sufficient. At least the option is there to use DDR3 when pricing drops. The DS4 has great pipe work, it really depends on whether that is really needed. I measured the hot spots on my system and the Northbridge heatsink was the major concern at 55C (ambient 25C). I have removed the original heatsink and installed a Thermotake Extreme Spirit 2 now the temp is 35C so are the MOSFET areas the remaining hot spot is the other chip with heatsink (possibly south bridge) at 50C however this is not affecting electro caps too much the nearest is 44C. All temps are are OC settings but at idle. There is a 10C rise in CPU when both are at 100%. So I am very pleased with what I have and expect long life at those temps.
                          I am somewhat amused at the Chinese sales pitch on the long life component content. eg they stated that the ferrite cores hold more energy at higher frequencies. This is not really true, ferrite cores return less inductance per coil turn so less energy storage. What is true and of benefit is that ferrites have less core loss at the high frequencies, so less heat.
                          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                          Samsung 18x DVD writer
                          33 way card reader
                          Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                            Did it got damaged from overheat or from abuse (excessive current)?

Originally posted by davmax
                            I see complaint against the P35C that the DDR3 limit is 4Gb, for many that would be quite sufficient. At least the option is there to use DDR3 when pricing drops.
                            In my opinion is not a great advantage for three reasons:
                            - the board has 4 DDR2 slots (which is normal) and only two DDR3 ones: this forces you buying high capacity modules in order to achieve the same capcity (e.g. 4 GB as 4 * 1 GB in DDR2 or 2 * 2 GB in DDR3);
                            - you can't simply add new memory: the board can address only a type, so you can use DDR2 now but you'll have to exchange them with DDR3. You may sell them as used, but you'll lose some money in the change;
                            - now DDR3 is terribily expensive: this will change in following months and perhaps we could afford 4 GB at bargain prices by late 2008 or first 2009, but now DDR2 costs in Italy about 30 euro/GB (value DDR2 1066 from good brands: Kingston, Corsair, Ocz, ...) while DDR3 is at least three times expensive (same speed, but worse timings ). If I can afford 4 GB in DDR2 modules now at a low price (120 euro, the price of a middle class cpu), I can avoid upgrading in future with DDR3.
                            Only my 2 cents: if you like upgrading to DDR3, wait for decent modules, with low timings and fair prices.

Zandrax
                            Last edited by zandrax; 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM.
                            Have an happy life.

Comment

Here's another one:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=151968
                              A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Your points are well taken. As I said at least I have that option of DDR2 now and DDR3 later. The DS4 board does not give an option for DDR2 now only DDR3 which as you say is expensive right now. For me , when I bought it, this board had the best upgrade path ie longer life to match life claims.

Both boards have the same 6 phase VRM. Graphics on DS4 are a little strange in that the second PCIE 16 is crippled. It has 1394 for those that need it.
                                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                33 way card reader
                                Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

I looked at this thread. An Asus board for starters and the cap was placed at the 12Volt input to the VRM and is probably connected in parallel with the Red cap near it.

The owner's guess was that heat from the OC of quad core caused the blow. Unlikely. More likely the extra ripple due to increased loading of the 12 volt line or just a weak cap. The PSU caps and/or ripple on 12 volt line need checking out. This Asus board is not the problem.

Currently not a member of extremesystems. Basically not in favour of the extreme actions taken there.
                                  Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                  Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                  33 way card reader
                                  Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

I agree, those guys brought it on themselves.

I have used exactly 1 Gigabyte board in the past. It was the DS3L, and it was used in a customer's PC. It worked quite well after I got the P35 audio driver thing figured out. That was probably just 64-bit XP though.

I would use their solid cap boards again. I just wish they'd make a good solid cap micro-atx board, priced around $80.

Edit: I did try to use one of their micro-atx boards once. It had TK caps, and it didn't work. It went back.
                                    Last edited by acstech; 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM.
                                    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

agree the psu has excessive ripple or the oc caused the same.
                                      i would look at those other pads and if vrm input populate them too.
                                      1 is fujitsu the other sanyo so its hard to blame the caps.

Comment

considering what that lot get up to it doesn't surprise me
                                        yeah Ocing at what they are liable to get up to is a dangerous game

bgavin not going to oc probably a good idea if you really want a system to last

This (my) Asus is from what I read is not without issues
                                        from what I read over there and other places too.
                                        I dont abuse it so hopefully it will last

your MB was very seriously on my considered list Davmax, I just got the Asus cheaper so went with that.

keep us post on what you do bgavin

Cheers
                                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                                        X