ga-7vrxp rev 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ga-7vrxp rev 2.0

Need your help I have no experience in soldering when I tried to change the atx connector on my 7vrxp I burnt one of the leads and a few years later I stubled upon this website from a local forum. Then it sparked interest for my old board.

I have a little idea on electronics but very much a newbie on that regard.

It would boot and show posts and then the screen will go blank.

My motherboard's atx connector burned with my antec psu which came with my antec tower.

The pad that burned is pin number 8 and it's is the power ok signal.

I thought that the brown thing I removed was a diode but think I am wrong and it is a ceramic capacitor. If that is so I might have mounted it the other way around.

the yellow circle is the ground pin 7
    the maroon circle is the thing that I thought at first was a diode where it came from and where it is now
    the green circle is the power ok pin 8

I am going to recap it but I would like to know if the trace that I soldered on is correct, I just guessed it and which way should I install the thing I removed as marked by the brown circle.

I might have messed up the board but it works for a while

by the way I changed one 1000uF 6.3 capacitor to a licon because I managed to crush it while removing the atx connector.

I thought I could do it but I happened to burn the pads.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: ga-7vrxp rev 2.0

What do you mean with I happened to burn the pads? If you managed to burn both cpu and chipset thermal pads, you fried both mobo and cpu: they are dead, beyond any repair. If not, the explain your words.

Your board revision is 1.0 or 1.1? I ask because first revisions had trouble with agp graphic boards: they were unable to drive them correctly and often failed to post. According to Linux-Kernel ML, Gigabyte fixed this in the 2.0 rev by adding a capacitor (follow the link for details).
    You can try with an old pci graphic board.

Burnt power connectors are an issue with socket 462 mobos: Athlon XPs draw a lot of current from the 5 v lines, pushing both cables and connetors to their insualtion limits. They overheat a lot and they can even burn. If the connector's plastic is not melt, you can clear all pins with a deoxidiser spray (e.g. CRC brand); if are melt, you should find a replacement (e.g. from an old, not working board), desolder the connector on the mobo and solder the replacement: it's quite hard to do.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I already removed the old connectors plastic which was burnt. I happen to burn the pads, I meant the trace or leads.

I'm sorry that I was not clear.

The processor works fine. I don't know about by test video card. I also tried my good video card once and it has the same problem as the other card it boots and shows post and then the display is gone a few seconds later.

My question is about the mystery part that I desoldered from the front picture beside the atx connector with dark red or maroon circle on the picture.
      Did I mount it right. that its value when measured with an ohm meter the positive on the pin 8 and the negative on the pin 7 (ground) it measures 75ohms
      When I put the positive to the ground or pin 7 and the negative to pin 8 it measures 1000 ohms.

I happen to burn the lead or trace of pin 8 "power_ok" I soldered it to that trace on the picture (see picture named picture7), I don't know if that should be connected there. I just guessed that it should be connected there. where should it be connected? If there are many points where it should be connected where are those?

I'm lucky though my processor still works even after testing the board.

Comment

Originally posted by borgsm1
        My question is about the mystery part that I desoldered from the front picture beside the atx connector with dark red or maroon circle on the picture.
        Did I mount it right. that its value when measured with an ohm meter the positive on the pin 8 and the negative on the pin 7 (ground) it measures 75ohms
        When I put the positive to the ground or pin 7 and the negative to pin 8 it measures 1000 ohms.

I happen to burn the lead or trace of pin 8 "power_ok" I soldered it to that trace on the picture (see picture named picture7), I don't know if that should be connected there. I just guessed that it should be connected there. where should it be connected? If there are many points where it should be connected where are those?
        Ths capacitor was mounted before you desoldered the atx connector or you mounted it in order to connect to the [supposedly] power good trace? In the latter case, what happens if you remove this cap?

I'm not into soldering so I can't help you much: I think the board has trouble detecting the pwr_good signal but I can't say it's due to a damaged board trace, a bad repair or an internal short.

Zandrax

Edit: I found the connector schematics. I don't think pin 7 and 8 should be connected togheter.

Last edited by zandrax; 02-10-2008, 07:13 AM.
        Have an happy life.

Comment

to desolder atx i would use a solder sucker, heat up one pad, add some solder and then suck it all off. repeat for all pads
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

actually the powergood trace is gone (burned right off), I could not anything left of it to where it should be routed to.

The trace where I routed the power good was connected to the pin 7 using this (I suppose a) ceramic cap. I might have connected it the wrong way perhaps?

The board works for a while then it doesn't even make it to a point to save the settings for the bios. Maybe I'll try to figure out what this does. Maybe it's not the correct trace.

Maybe someone who has the board can help me which traces the "power good" / "power ok" should be connected to?

Comment

The cap appears to be ceramic the pad would be part of a plate through hole, so if only the top circular bit is gone and nothings connected to it you would be ok provided the metal was still in the hole (probably ok).
              The other proviso is you can get a good flow of solder in the plate through hole Especially if its a power connection

The PG pin wouldn't carry much current (it really a signal line)
              but the other power pins will

The power connector is a standard pinout so just check what the pins are and you should be able to work out if anything should be tied together

20 pin here

24 pin here

How Power Good works

Power Ok is a status signal generated by the power supply to notify the computer that the DC operating voltages are within the ranges required for proper computer operation
              What this means is the MB will not start up till it receives this signal
              (well thats how it use to work, maybe it has become redundant I recall something funny about it now)

if Pin 8 is PWR GOOD (GREY)

Then it should "NOT" be tied to pin 7, this is according to the above ground GND (BLACK)

If you have shorted that to ground it wont start
              (I don't know if it will damaged the supply...think not, but don't know for sure)

PIN 9 (PURPLE) is +5 volt Standby, this will supply 5 volts to the MB when computer is off or on but provided the psu is on.

The MB will probably work without the cap although it does depend on what it was for???? but I suspect not coupling, probably bypass.
              It did have a purpose other wise they wouldn't have used it.
              (ideally should be replaced)

Unfortunately I can't help you with the blown away PG trace and yes someone that has one of these MB hanging around or possibly gone to chip level with one or knows the chips is the best bet.

Thing is none of those three should tie together +5VSB PG GND

not the complete answer and I am only working from what you say and the pinouts hope its of some help anyway

Cheers
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
              X