Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-7DXR Rev 1.0

Hi

I rec'd this board and it appears to have been working ok until recently.
    The system randomly locks up at arbitrary times. I have replaced the
    PSU with an Enermax 550W but the problem persists.

It's beginning to brown me off!
    So...

I took the mobo out of the case and gave it a visual inspection.
    Suprisingly, I did not find any bad caps or rather, evidence of caps
    failing as they all appear to be in good condition.

However, what I did find much to my surprise was the area on
    the underside of the board where the AMD northbridge and
    CPU voltage regulator reside topside are tinged slightly brown.

First, the area under one of the power MOSFETS appears to be
    the worst as well as a noticable discolouration under the north
    bridge (an AMD 761).

When I rec'd the board the fan on the n/bridge was dead and I
    replaced it with a good papst. The fan runs ok and MBM5 reports
    the IC as being only 20 degrees celsius. Is this colouration evidence of o/clock or fan failure?

Can anybody offer any advice as to the status of the power device?
    The system will power up ok and it is only whilst using does it lock up.

Alternatively, as this board offers a raft of o/clock settings via DIP
    switches in the board - has it been seriously o/c'ed?

Myself, I have been using this mobo as a desktop with an AGP Pro card
    and thought, after some research, the problem was with the on-board
    Promise Lite RAID controller as it known to be problematic. For my part,
    I disabled it entirely and installed a Promise SuperTrak 100 6-ch H/W
    RAID controller. Problem still persists.

Lastly, I reviewed the area of the memory slots on the mobo and found
    one SMT cap (C252) was missing. I do not know the value of this device
    and hope someone can help. Interestingly, over the period I was trying to
    resolve the fault, I had tested the 3 x 512MB PC2100 Reg ECC DIMMS
    installed on the board with Memtest 86 v3.3 for three hours and it reported no faults.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Re: GA-7DXR Rev 1.0

well the symptoms sound like caps but since you replaced them that makes it somewhat harder.
    caps can still look good but be stuffed an ESR meter is your friend here.

Sounds like heat to me the browning but You would somewhat expect that to some extent too...As for over clocking I don't know but yeah its possible
    (and the above maybe ,depending on extend a good indicator...)

Those piddly little chipset fans do fail alot I gather and on my gigabyte (posted here somewhere ) it died....if the system was running normally chances are the passive might well be ok for cooling (think its really more so there for those that oc, in my case... possibly yours too )

it is possible for bad joints to develop on the chipset IC and I dont think there is much you can do about it (since they float on solder balls or whatever that method is BGA)

http://www.ibl-loettechnik.de/englis...soldering.html

I dont know if all chipsets of late are done that way never looked into it

OK question time (assuming here your solder skills are up to par)

Did you replace all the caps and what type/series and brand did you use?

The most important ones are the VRM caps and these should be low ESR 105C types, of quality brand if you want it to last along time.

there are is a post around here were a recap job was done with 85C,sure it may wok but will fail a lot quicker.

Are there any known bad brands like GSC left on it

depending on the above, you may still have a cap issue (we live in hope)
    but a bad solder joint or failed component is still a real possibility.

Changing the psu with a known good one is the next step, which you did so that puts the problem back on the MB or OS (less likely but possible)

By the sounds of it you probably know what I am talking about with VRM caps but if not see my post here .

HTH

Cheers
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hi

The capacitors for the CPU VRM are;
      4 0f 10v 1200uF 105 deg C Choyo and
      2 of 6.3v 1200uF 105 deg C Choyo
      The VRM is a bog standard 3-phase Intersil HIP6301C controller with
      3 of HIP6601 drivers running;
      6 of MTB1306 MOSFETs

This seems odd as you can have a lower rated cap in
      the upper gate of each phase, hence 6.3v versions
      but there are only 2 and not three.
      Any suggestions?

The mobo supports AGP Pro via a mobo Molex connector
      The connector has;
      4 of 25v 330uF 105 deg C G-Luxon

As to PSU
      I did have a Q-TEC 550W dual fan running this setup ok.
      So far as I was getting arbitrary lockups I replaced this
      with a used Enermax EG-615V-PE as it had better O/P
      more suitable to my requirements.

I did test both of these PSU with two types of PSU tester.
      The 1st tester with both PSUs did not report any faults.
      The 2nd tester which had a LCD display reported;
      The Q-TEC as being ok but the Enermax had an issue
      with the mS value

Does this point to a PSU issue?

As I further suspected perhaps RAM issues, I tested the
      RAM with Memtestv86 v3.3 - tests 5 and 8 for 20 iterations.
      This tested ok - no errors reported.

Comment

The cap values indicate that the VRM does not operate from the 12 volt supply. Usually there are more caps on the output of the VRM to cover the lower impedance/ higher current circuit of the CPU. The caps you list does quite tie up with the Gigabyte picture of this board. From the picture four VRM input caps (four 10V you list) can be seen and at least five output caps near the output chokes (coils)and possible another six that are significant bunched next to the memory slots. All need to be checked and replaced if they are Choyo.
        Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
        Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
        160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3
        Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
        17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
        HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

The older Enermax tend to have low 5v rail, but this is in most cases no problem. I duno if this belongs to your Enermax.

The Q-tec is junk, it is IMHO not safe to use it in demanding systems.

Comment

I thought I had this pdf for that chip somewhere...or a links
            Anyway yeah some run at 5 volt.
            From the quick look I had here

HIP6301 datasheets

It appears the chip is 5 Volt VCC

Choyo are not considered good caps around here so yeah get rid of them.
            (have a look at the good cap thread for possible ones to source, I used panasonic FM but some my debate that...they do work and will last, just maybe not THE BEST choice...not to open that debate here)

if you have an ESR meter then id test them but ideally replace them regardless

BTW with the PSU testers I tend to treat them as go no/go.

The one I have only places a very light load on one rail (5V I think) with reasonable accuracy voltage wise but its not a fluke.

To test a psu you need to put some real load on it

if caps are your problem then VRM outputs are most likely suspects

based on what you said

I rec'd this board and it appears to have been working ok until recently.
            The system randomly locks up at arbitrary times. I have replaced the
            PSU with an Enermax 550W but the problem persists.
            Id back the CMOS off to "fail Safe mode" (in fact id leave it there) while trouble shooting

You did say it had been working fine till lately so....

me, id recap and get rid of any junk caps, chances are it will work fine after that

anyway just my thoughts

HTH Cheers
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

yeah Enermax are ok supplies (mostly) but since you say its used and has some issue PG timing, there may be something that needs to be fix with it...if the system is running ok with it and starts fine then its probably ok but possibly it could use a bit of a rework its self....

it might be little later model Gonzo.... looking at wattage... I cant find anything on 615...maybe 651?

Comment

Oops...

Y - Enermax EG651P-VE
                To bring matters up to date so to speak.

I swapped out the GA-7DXR for a brand, new, unused GA-7DX+
                I have opted to use a SuperTrak 100 6-ch IDE PCI RAID card as
                compared to the on-board Promise Lite controller supplied with
                the GA-7DXR. They are essentially the same board but operate differing
                BIOS revisions excepting the newer board does not have AGP Pro.

Anyway...

The problems persisted with the new board so, naturally, I suspected
                the PSU. However, where prior to I had tested the three HP 512MB
                PC2100 DDR ECC REG DIMMs in the GA-7DXR with no problems reported
                by MemTest86 v3.3, in the new board with the Enermax, I was having
                errors reported at 240-248MB. I have managed to isolate a DIMM and
                have been problem free since.

This is odd...

I am wondering if the problem came about with use of the Q-TEC
                PSU in the GA-7DXR i.e. it was inadequate.
                As I recall, the CPU voltage setting could only go as low as 1.675v for the CPU.
                The Athlon XP 2400+ CPU I am using is a 1.65V device, so wonder if the genesis of the problem lies with this.

In any event, I will be recapping the GA-7DXR as a matter of course
                and concur, I usually use Panasonic FM when I do this as these appear
                to be better quality than most for the price.

Also, as the Enermax is used and arguably there is a PG matter to be
                resolved, it may be a good idea to recap this also. Has anyone else
                in the forum done such a thing?

As a final point, might the issue lie with RAM? It appears I may have
                to test each DIMM separately as well as together so far as, might
                the problem be supply to the DIMMs as with sags and the like.

As I am running MBM5, I recall the Q-TEC 550W was a high on the
                12v volt line at something like 12.74 v

Any thought and/or insight greatly appreciated.

Comment

A immediate possibility is that if you are using ECC memory. This is not supported on many motherboards. I see the spec for both your motherboards covers ECC memory. Just check the bios to make sure that it is set for ECC memory. Interesting one module is now playing up. I guess you have double checked that the DIMM socket connection is OK by re-inserting. If it was working in the other Mb, is there a possibility that it suffered an electrostatic zap when handling the modules.
                  Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                  Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                  160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                  Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                  160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                  Samsung 18x DVD writer
                  Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                  33 way card reader
                  Windows XP Pro SP3
                  Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                  17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                  HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Y

I reseated the DIMMs a number of times and cleaned the gold contact
                    pins with alcohol - the problems still persists and reports further errors
                    (under test) at 240.8MB

For the record, I have configured the BIOS for correct+scrub.

It could be a handling error - will get back to you on this after I have
                    had the opportunity to test them as set out prior to.

Thx

Comment

Is it possible for the psu to damage ram?..yes, but not as likely a scenario.
                      (from what I understand)

I have no idea on the Q-tec but if gonzo says junk for any real work it is then.

Recapping the Enermax wouldn't be a bad idea, usually (mostly) the output caps seems to fail.
                      you may want to consider other caps for this thought due to heat.
                      the UCC are well regarded for psu use (I think)
                      but your are looking more at the top shelf there

Even thou a little worst specs, due to construction FC series might be a better choice (in both cases) but does cost more
                      opinions vary , just use (again) Quality low ESR for the psu output caps

I would also pay attention to the SB 5 Volt section as this runs 24/7 while psu is plugged in and turned on at the switch.

Me, I would check rework any high current *heat stressed solder joints on the psu
                      (*like power trannies and transformer etc)

As to RAM well Davmax seems to be more into that and possible implications.
                      I just run my systems more or less default so never really get into the pro and cons...
                      I know he had his mind on ram issues of late so details should be fresher in his mind then mine

good to hear you think you got it being a ram chip as the issue
                      Even thought you had to do a somewhat double step to get there.

on a scale of most to lest likely that would probably be No.3
                      but I dont fix them every day like a lot here do.
                      So not going to try and guess what its issue may have been

Cant help you on that SMC cap ...I suppose it depends on what its original purpose was, you may guess that from how it fits into the circuit
                      (which may not be easy) my wet finger in the air says probably bypass/decoupling cap of some kind but thats a pure guess..no real idea thought (like the old days of TTL where you would have ceramic caps close to the chips)
                      possibly just another component redundant to that particular version of PCB.

Yeah Promise did have issues...the pro's here wouldn't use any on board Raid controller anyway.
                      I've never bothered with it but if I did do raid
                      I would buy a card intended for Raid, not that you cant fall into traps with them either...there a post about here on one model that was causing someone nightmares

As I said Id recap the MB regardless if you got it out
                      Sounds to me like you know how to solder, de solder...rework

you will find pdf or site links in this post by Willawake

What caps should i buy?

BTW your probably aware, but I'll mention it anyway
                      You will find you can probably use 6.3 volt caps in place of the 10 Volt ones
                      (check to be sure they are across 5 V or 3V3)
                      (10V is used so they can get crap caps with a lower ESR, so the story goes)

The other issue you may find is Diameter(lead spacing possibly too) of the caps, pannies in 3300uf are 12.5 mm forgotten what it is for the 1200uf but yeah just be aware of that
                      its fine (in fact probably better) to use the larger can ..just sometimes they are not going to fit nicely...so yeah it may not look professional finish and yeah the little extra lead length will at a tad to ESR but it will still work ok
                      better of cause if you can get the can that sits flush.
                      you should see my ZXE...still working fine but not a pretty sight LOL
                      (I should have done it the way I did the last one more caps lower value for a better look, the positions are there)

HTH

Cheers

Comment

Y - the smt cap, I believe was part of the sense circuit for the CPU fan.

When I first ran this board, the CPU rpm would intermittently appear and
                        disappear in the BIOS section for system health - sure sign of something amiss.
                        The fact that latterly it has stopped displaying any CPU fan speed in the BIOS at all tends me to think now that I noticed the SMT amiss, they are
                        connected. When I received the mobo I did visually inspect it and did not find anything untoward (for what that's worth).

Certainly, the cap is in the correct part of the board area and being a
                        4 layer board, signal routing and silk screen are usually reliable
                        pointers.

As an aside, I admit it, I am guilty and old enought to recall
                        the days when bypass caps for RAM and devices (of the 5V TTL) were
                        easily replaced!

Just a point - I have a 50W iron. Is this going to be enough for the
                        power stage rework as suggested? The tip can be switched for something
                        suitable as befits the application on this thing. Of course, I usually use a much lower wattage for mobo work.

Lastly, can you tell me a reliable way for measuring SMT device values
                        out of cct? Given the SMT cap is amiss, it may be I can lift off the same
                        part from the mobo, measure and order what I require for rework.

Any thoughts, suggestions, guidance and insight appreciated.

Comment

removel is best the hotter the better (with in reason of cause) just don't dump to much heat into to it....to clear via's the Needle method is best but if you got a sucker try it once no more then twice
                          you may find the positive lead harder to get up to temp
                          (due to the way the power plains are done I believe...so its closer to the cap and sucks the heat away)

Walk the electro caps out is easiest way for removal I think but depends on what you got I guess

the once to via's are clear just put in the new ones

just beware if its RoHS pcb....I dont think it will be thought so 60/40 solders the go

Otherer here will have there own way of doing things...chec the FAQ's too for the needle method
                          I think willawake has a full post on it there tools need etc

components well easy way is replace smc but a capacitance meter will measure it
                          (I think a DMM with capacitance should be able to measure in circuit)
                          of course its always best to check them out of circuit

not sure on the fan thing vaguely remember something about it but not enough to make any comment.

if you got a stuffed MB pcb laying around do a bit of practice on that to get the feel
                          you have to be relatively quick but you dont want to yank a cap out with the via
                          so a little bit of practice wont hurt if you haven't recapped.

I wouldn't call recapping the best place for a complete beginner to start their solder career
                          but you sound like you got some years of skill there so it should quickly be come second nature to you

since you say the tip can be changed is it a Weller you got?

Comment

Nah

The 50W is an Antex TCS (adjustable temp. setting).

The bits are easily replaceable and you can get a selection
                            of them for whatever type of job you may have.

Me thinks I have a two sets of needle point and two chisel bits at the mo.

Comment

when you mention tip I thought you may have been talking about temp...thats why I asked
                              small 2mm chisel is recommended , just a add a smidge to the tip to get the heat transfer going better.

get some stainless steel needles and you will see a pic of on section of a terminal block in will post screw it it to that as a handle for it....it works quite will once you get the hang of it

heres the post

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

cheers
                              Last edited by starfury1; 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Hi

I've completed the recap of this mobo albeit I still have to
                                get a small SMT for the CPU fan sense.

Thanks for the needle method, works better and is quick!

I have got myself an ESR meter too.

I will put this in parallel with my digital multimeter and test
                                the ESR and normal resistance values of the replacement
                                caps. All things being well, I'm sure I will get very small ESR
                                (recapped with Panasonic FMs) readings and no s/c caps!

Will let you know what I find when I test it!

Thanks

Comment

dont use them at the same time
                                  (so there is no chance interference or or possible damage)
                                  is my advice

With the ESR meter dont use it near a live TV or monitor
                                  (shielding on a monitor might reduce this but still I think possible)
                                  There is no shielding on the meter and interference is a real possibility if you use it too close to one

Another thing to watch out for is the contact resistance of the sockets and probes

ESR meter is measuring resistances less than an ohm

Small chance of these happening I know
                                  but if your are aware of these points you wont get caught by them

Its a good meter

Also do not apply power to the MB
                                  both will supply there own power for testing.

Might be stating the obvious but just so we are clear on this.

No worries and blame TC for the needle method
                                  Last edited by starfury1; 10-27-2007, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                  X