This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

That Allied wouldn't be so bad for a basic Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1200 computer using the onboard integrated graphics of an Intel G31-based motherboard for example.

Just replace the cheap fans with better quality fans, give it nice Japanese capacitors (Rubycon, Nichicon, United Chemicon, or Panasonic) and it will be great for any low-end computer you put it in.

Too bad they don't sell DEER/L&C/Allied power supplies where I live. If they did, I would get one of their higher-end models (the Allied AL-D500EXP I guess) and give it a nice recap and fan replacement.

EDIT: 300th post on this thread!
    Last edited by Newbie2; 08-29-2008, 04:54 PM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Too bad they don't sell DEER/L&C/Allied power supplies where I live.
      just locate kc's house(though you'll have to make that trip) and wait for him to throw garbage.
      you'll find them allright...
      hehe...

you only think you want/need those psus, but you don't really.
      one destroyed mobo is all that would be needed to change your mind...
      well, learn from other peoples mistakes.

Comment

Originally Posted by i4004:
        your only excuse for buying this can be that you were not reading this forum at the time
        You are right... but now it is even worse: the more I read the more I understand that I have a lot of things to learn. I'm really happy to have found this forum

Originally Posted by i4004:
        for 26€ i get fortron
        I have to find better shops

@ i4004 kc8adu zandrax: thanks to confirm I'm not blind

Originally Posted by Zandrax
        Cheap sleeve bearing ones: they become noisier over time until they fail. Don't put them into your friend's P4 unless you want to replace them in a year or so.
        zandrax: I didn't mean they are good FAN, what I wanted to underline that there are 2 FAN. Do you member the advertisement "Two it is better than one!"
        I will keep this PSU for the original purpose, only testing faulty PC, I don't want to create problem to my friends.

Thanks for your feedback, I think my future HW shopping will be safer than in the past.

Gianni
        "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
        H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
          just locate kc's house(though you'll have to make that trip) and wait for him to throw garbage.
          you'll find them allright...
          hehe...

you only think you want/need those psus, but you don't really.
          one destroyed mobo is all that would be needed to change your mind...
          well, learn from other peoples mistakes.
          First, I don't know where kc8adu's house is. Second, Ohio is a far trip from where I live. Third, they'll be all crushed up by his bare hands for exercise and "removing a potential fire hazard" along with all his stinky and sticky garbage.

I just want one for testing and experimenting on it, not to put it in my computer (would I be THAT crazy?). My L&C 450W power supply I currently have in my Pentium III 450MHz computer has already been recapped, the fan has been replaced, and it has been beat up to the point that the sheet-metal case has been bent in one area and two of its screw holes for the case mounting screws are stripped. I also removed its P4 +12V power connector to prevent it from being put in a decent computer.
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

would you be crazy enough to put it in ANYBODY's pc?
            <wink>

Comment

Originally posted by dood
              Dell NPS-200PB-73M
              This was pulled from an older Optiplex GX110 unit. First glance, a very solid unit. Made by Newton Power, has Rubys on the input side, and a mix of Ruby's and UCC on the output. A very solid 200watt ATX supply, with one major flaw. Dell, in their infinite wisdom, saw fit to wire this not as an ATX supply. Still has an ATX plug on it, but if you plug it into a standard spec mobo, the thing screeches and wails like no tomorrow, before you even turn it on.

Disappointing, because I was looking forward to using it as a spare...

http://translate.google.de/translate...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

scroll down to DELL ...
              you could rewire it... or rewire one of those 20pin -> 24Pin ATX adapter thingys to put it between the PSU and the board..

Comment

Hairong ATX-400W

10A 40V rectifiers for +3.3V and +12V rails (3.3V rectifier failed because it was not at least 20A, as marked on the specification plate )
                20A 40V rectifier for +5V rail.
                470uF 16V TUR series for each negative rail.
                2200uF 10V TUL series for +5V rail.
                2200uF 16V TUL series for +12V rail.
                1000uF 10V TUL series before and after +3.3V inductor.
                1000uF 10V TUL series before and after +5VSB inductor.
                470uF 200V (85C) "SC" brand primary units.
                Non-approved ceramic capacitors between line and earth .
                Primary rectifier appears to be a 2A unit.
                Heatsinks look a bit small too.
                Attached Files
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

You can move this DELL wiring around to ATX standard as documented on the websites with a google.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni
                    Do you member the advertisement "Two it is better than one!"
                    I do, but most people here can't.

[OT]
                    It's the jingle used in italian tv ads for the Nestle' Maxibon (in Italy sold as Motta Maxibon, since Nestle' bought Motta food industries in 1993), a sandwich ice cream: in the first ad (mid '90s), an high school student eats the ice cream in his classroom while sitting on teacher's chair and mimicking his English teacher. He's speaking in an awful italo-engrish and, instead of saying that the two flavors ice cream he's eating is more enjoyable than a single flavor one, he ends up with the sentence Du gust is megl' che uan, roughly Two flavor' is bett'r than one [yes, he says IS! Kill him!]; while everyone is laughing, suddently the teacher comes, hears this gibberish and starts questioning the offending boy [in English, of course ].
                    The spot end with the satisfied teacher writing a "2" [italian high school grades range from 1 to 10, being 1 the lowest and 10 the highest one; any grade below 6 is a bad one and those below 3, rarely used, are irremediable marks on student's final rating. 2 is a very bad grade] on the class register and repeating the jingle to the student, now ironically meaning: a "2" grade is better than an "1" one [though not by much ].
                    The same jingle ends all Maxibon ads broadcasted in following years, which are settled in different environments and bear no more relation with school; nevertheless, it's popular still today.
                    [/OT]

@ Gianni: Don't worry, everyone here bought something bad or unsatisfying in his life, otherwise there wouldn't have been a Badcaps forum Now you know why most cheap power supplies are bad and what parts to check before buying.
                    Anyway, those two fans are crap: buy Nocuta, Panaflo (a Panasonic brand) or other reliable brands.

Zandrax
                    Have an happy life.

Comment

Following zandrax suggestion I have bought 2 PSU, I post here few pics.

I pay 15€ each and for the first time I think I have not spent my money for gutless wonder PSU.

I had some problem to mount one in my PC because Newton Power is longer than the previous Allied 450 W (1.2Kg ) and because my PC has too much stuff inside . One strange thing is that the holes to screw it on the cabinet are smaller than usual: they are 3MA.
                      I hope that my cabinet can support the 2.44Kg PSU.
                      I was lucky that the cap near 20Pin connector is small otherwise it would have been a problem since this PSU has a 24Pin connector.
                      Last thing: I hope those OST caps spread on my MOBO can go on for a long time since they look still good after 4 years.

Ciao
                      Gianni

P.S.: with the new PSU my PC is so fast that I'm in 2009 already
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gianni; 09-16-2008, 04:54 PM. Reason: Add PS becasue pics have fake date
                      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                      H. J. Brown

Comment

15€?
                        so they're used, not new?

Comment

i would take a old unit like that over any allied "gutless wonder"
                          you did well.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                            15€? so
                            they're used, not new?
                            They are not new, I mean they are not "out of box" and under warranty, they have been removed from new server because they were not redundant type.
                            They have never been working in fact inside there is not dust at all

Originally posted by kc8adu
                            you did well.
                            Thanks. I'm learning a lot of things from all of you "experienced" members

Ciao
                            H. J. Brown

Comment

I'm learning a lot of things from all of you "experienced" members
                              Most members here are more experienced than me: about 10 months ago I was lucky enough to find this almost hidden deal but I didn't know anything about reliability of Newton Power's products.
                              I spot Badcaps because it was one of few forums referencing the brand, so I thought I could ask advice and expect some useful replies. I'm glad to have joined it since then.

Zandrax
                              Have an happy life.

Comment

This morning I had the time ( few minutes ) to make a quick test of one Newton Power PSU I bought.
                                In the picture you can see it on my desk.
                                I measured the input power with my scope, here following the output voltages, current and input parameters:

+11.97 7A
                                +4.98V 15A
                                +5.1V .154 A
                                +3.26V 15A
                                -12.06 0.055 A

Pout= 208.8W
                                Pin= 273.7W
                                PA= 287.9VA
                                Efficiency= 76%

The input voltage is a little bit distort probably due to the safety transformer used to separate the equipment under test from live line.

I forgot to set the +12V current at 10A... I had not much time.
                                Thanks to the APFC, the VA power is 287.9VA against real (active) power of 273.7W so the power factor is around 0.95.

I tried to take the maximum inrush current and the best pic is here attached: the peak is around 12Apk, thanks to the input power resistor that get shorted, after few seconds from power on, by a relay.

Unfortunately I can't arrange the testing cables to bring the PSU at full load.
                                The last thing: the output ripple is low on all outputs, the worst value I measured was 30mVpp on -12V.

Ciao
                                Gianni
                                Attached Files
                                H. J. Brown

Comment

Nice test: a thousand tanks. When we'll meet, I'd offer you a drink
                                  I had hoped efficiency could reach 80% at half load (200 W), but this doesn't seem the case; nevertheless it's stable, outputs show low ripple and it costed as much as a pfc-less "gutless wonder". I'm overall happy with it.

Zandrax
                                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                                    I had hoped efficiency could reach 80% at half load
                                    Not too bad considering it is at half load.
                                    For what I have measured till now and from my experience, very often the maximum efficiency for a PSU has its maximum with load between 75 and 85% of nominal load.
                                    Another reason for low efficiency could be the load distribution: it would be interesting to see how it change if I load +12V at maximum (18A + 10A) and with low load on +3.3V and +5V.

Unfortunately in this period I can't arrange my testing tool to make this test, but if I have the opportunity I will do another test in different condition.

What I can do... and I want to do it , is to do the same test with the Allied 350W I bought few months ago.
                                    I hope it will not explode in my hand

Ciao
                                    Gianni
                                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Not too bad considering it is at half load.
                                      For what I have measured till now and from my experience, very often the maximum efficiency for a PSU has its maximum with load between 75 and 85% of nominal load.
                                      Curious: I thought that efficiency is maximum at roughly half load. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Another reason for low efficiency could be the load distribution: it would be interesting to see how it change if I load +12V at maximum (18A + 10A) and with low load on +3.3V and +5V.
                                      Judging from tests at Jonnyguru and Hardware Secrets, that should affect efficiency by a 2-3%.

What I can do... and I want to do it , is to do the same test with the Allied 350W I bought few months ago.
                                      I hope it will not explode in my hand
                                      You're facing the risk: I expect the Allied to be a 200 W gutless wonder, so a fet or a transformer may short when outputting more than 250-300 W, turning the whole psu into an expensive fireworks. It shouldn't damage you, but never say never.
                                      Good luck if you try the experiment

Zandrax
                                      Have an happy life.

Comment

Today I have opened a spare PC I had in my cellar: I rescued it few months ago and I have cleaned it up and changed the HDD because was dead.
                                        What I didn't do was to open the PSU and because today I had to lend it to my brother, I opened the PSU and i have taken few pics for this thread.
                                        The Newton Power mounted on this Scenic Fujitsu-Siemens have a passive PFC, the continuous output power is only 110W and should be enough to feed the 1GHz Celeron CPU.
                                        OTOH it is not possible to replace it with a standard PSU because the cabinet is not standard and the PSU has a plastic conveyor (hope it is the right word) to suck the air from CPU HS.
                                        This PC has been produced in 2001.

Ciao
                                        Gianni
                                        Attached Files
                                        H. J. Brown

Comment

incredibly small and simple!

i have a scenic from about that age too(no fan on the cpu, just the plastic funnel(or conveyor..heh) that sux the air into psu and then out).
                                          p3-700...or 800...heh

it has 200w psu.

seagate on it also died recently but hey, it was about 7-8 years old...

on replacing it; oh, i would find a way to replace it allright.
                                          electric drill, saw....and soon enough they'll fit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X