This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Look at those discrete diodes on the secondary heatsink.

Why do manufacurers do that is it cheaper to use discretes then to use the proper TO-220 package?

Not to mention discretes in that package aren't designed to transfer their heat to a heatsink.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Look at its Y capacitors: completely absent. So the Emi filter.
      Small caps, tiny wires, no protections, small transformers, only one coil: a Deer is a better products, this one competes only with Powmax

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

Re: Thermaltake Toughpower 430W

Originally posted by Super Nade
        Thermaltake 430W XP550NP. Group-regulated, No APFC, basically a cheapie unit with highly questionable caps.

Primary side: 2 x 680uF 200V CapXcon
        Secondary side: Ltec, Suscon and Teapo.

Will be recapped with:
        NCC KMD 820uF, 200V on the Primary
        UCC KY, LXZ, KMG and Panasonic FM on the Secondary.

PCB says 300W @ 250V, so not only is it of questionable build quality but it is actually "overclocked" on some pretty shady components.
        Um.... yeah I kinda have a unit identical to that one powering my main computer.
        That unit cost me nearly $100AUD when I got it about a year and a bit ago.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
          Look at those discrete diodes on the secondary heatsink.

Why do manufacurers do that is it cheaper to use discretes then to use the proper TO-220 package?

Not to mention discretes in that package aren't designed to transfer their heat to a heatsink.
          seems the labor to prepare those diodes would ofset any savngs over a proper to-220 device.
          well maybe not if your products are assembled by child slaves.

Comment

Sparkle "Power-Q" ATX-300GU (built by FSP)
            Date code on PCB is 0445.

After about a year, I got a phone call from my sister that her motherboard heat alarm was going off. About a day later I came down and noticed the PSU was baking, and the fan was dead. I was impressed it lasted like that.
            There's a little circuit board attached to a heatsink for the temperature sensitive fan. When I replaced the fan I gave up on trying to hook it up "properly" to that gizmo.

I recently recapped this PSU. Mine had Teapos and Jamicons in it, almost all are general purpose 105C. None failed even with that overheating incident. One of the photos shows the strange rubber ring I found underneath the 3300uF Teapo. It's not the bung - the cap was still intact.
            There's 1 16V cap in there, and it's a difficult size, 2200uF 10mm IIRC. Lesser voltage caps are also still 10mm, so they're easier to replace.
            Input caps are 2x 470uF 200V Teapo LXK, as can barely be seen in the overhead photo.
            Attached Files

Comment

Fortron/Source FSP300-60PFN(12V)
              Date code on PCB is 0151

This is apparently one of those newfangled jobs with 1 input cap. It's only 220uF - is that normal?
              I just got 4 of these, but only this one has been opened yet. This PSU has many Fuhjjyus in it, especially on the input side. Output has 1 Fuhhjjwhatever, 1 OST, and a few Teapos.

They hot glued a vertical PCB at each end. Looks kind of ghetto, but I guess it works.

ratings:
              3.3V 28A
              5V 30A
              12V 15A
              5Vsb 2A
              -5V 0.3A
              -12V 0.8A

3.3+5V 180W
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gdement; 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

ugh... I forgot to post the ratings on that Sparkle, and it's too late to edit.

Sparkle "Power-Q" ATX-300GU:
                +3.3V 20A
                +5V 30A
                +12V@13A
                +5VSB@2A
                -5V@0.3A
                -12V@0.8A

3.3+5V=175W

Comment

raidmax rx-500
                  note fuhkkyu caps on sec and unrated y caps.
                  no x cap.
                  500w my ass!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re-posted here, in the newer thread.
                    I've done 2 of these 4 fan Super Flower 550W monsters this week and am using one now. One took 4 caps, the other took 6. When the fans are on full it is noisy as hell but on auto or slow and the 2 little top fans removed it's not bad at all. On the website it's the 4-fan type at the bottom of the page.
                    http://superflower.stores.yahoo.net/psutriple.html
                    Super Flower!
                    And they have a "Golden Heat-sink"

Comment

Ipex/Seventeam ST-251R
                      Rubycon USR 470uF 250V primaries; the rest JP CE-TUR.
                      2200uF (bulging) on the 12V rail.
                      2200uF 10V before and after the output inductors of the +5V and +3.3V rails (the capacitor after the +3.3V inductor was bulging).
                      The capacitor before the +5VSB regulator was bulging too.
                      D83-004 rectifiers for all rails (two in parallel for +3.3V)
                      Attached Files
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Here's the PSU that I had in my newest PC until it died (see the Whistling PSU thread). This PC sure seems to be going through a lot of PSUs!

X-Power ATX-400D 400W Dual-fan

This PSU is packed with Teapos everywhere, both on the input and output. For those who say Teapos fail without physical signs, these sure didn't! Three of the Teapos on the output side have bulged, with one actually exuding a small amount of electrolyte. I've also included a close-up picture of the Teapo that's leaking.
                        Attached Files
                        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Decided to clean the PS3. Very dusty but the powersupply was clean. Sorry for the blurry photos. I swear it looked good on the tiny screen on the camera.

Last edited by mutant; 07-16-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Allied AL-A400ATX Max 400w

Four failed "DON" brand caps, yet all the other g-luxon's were fine.

Top-down view.

I will not be attempting a recap on this one as two of the caps are hidden under the heatsink. Already in the trash bin, before anyone gets any ideas of saving it
                            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Enlight HPC-235-101

This one has a date of '99 on it... it was in a Slot A Athlon system built in '00, so I'd believe it. Still works great, even with the original g-luxon caps!

Those are Ruby's on the input side!

And the unfortunate, yet not failed, G-Luxons.
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Dell NPS-200PB-73M
                                This was pulled from an older Optiplex GX110 unit. First glance, a very solid unit. Made by Newton Power, has Rubys on the input side, and a mix of Ruby's and UCC on the output. A very solid 200watt ATX supply, with one major flaw. Dell, in their infinite wisdom, saw fit to wire this not as an ATX supply. Still has an ATX plug on it, but if you plug it into a standard spec mobo, the thing screeches and wails like no tomorrow, before you even turn it on.

Disappointing, because I was looking forward to using it as a spare...

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by mutant
                                  Decided to clean the PS3. Very dusty but the powersupply was clean. Sorry for the blurry photos. I swear it looked good on the tiny screen on the camera.
                                  Ok lets try that again

Comment

Allied 350W: am I blind?

After reading this thread and watching all photos I decided to open the Allied 350W I bought some months ago as spare PSU for testing purpose.

I have lost the warranty because I have broken the label... but I couldn't resist .

The big surprise for me is that on the box they write PFC-MATCHING THE SPECIFICATION OF THE POWER FACTOR CORRECT OF EUROPEAN UNION 2001

Somebody can show me where is the PFC? I can't see it .

I suppose the Asia X output caps aren't good, am I right?

I have another question: what is the brand of the caps in picture allied3?

To end the post: the only good thing I see in this PSU are the 2 fan .

I have spent 26,00€.

Ciao
                                    Gianni
                                    Attached Files
                                    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                    H. J. Brown

Comment

well. i guess in 2001 thetre was no law for pfc so they didn't put any in...hehe...
                                      this psu has no pfc. active of passive.
                                      yes, asia x is crap(somebody mentioned it on this forum, do search), and this reminds me of this
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5727

for 26€ i get fortron ( https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=fortron ) that looks like tank comapred to this "gutless wonder" as kc likes to call them...

your only excuse for buying this can be that you were not reading this forum at the time
                                      <wink>

Comment

no pfc there.
                                        not even a cheap choke.

Comment

Re: Allied 350W: am I blind?

Originally posted by Gianni
                                          I have lost the warranty because I have broken the label... but I couldn't resist .
                                          Welcome to psu hell

Somebody can show me where is the PFC? I can't see it .
                                          In factory: the guy at the assembling line forgot to include it.

I suppose the Asia X output caps aren't good, am I right?
                                          Absolutely right: Asia X is a new name for Fuhjyyu, which is the crappiest badcaps brand known to present day. Good only for shooting.

I have another question: what is the brand of the caps in picture allied3?
                                          It's usually called Saturn logo, but the real name should be YC (even guys from capacitor.web aren't sure about it). Better than Fuhjyyu, worser than all others. My old Allied DR-B400BTX was full of these craps.

You have an I already saw it feeling, right? Me too: it's a clone of yours.

To end the post: the only good thing I see in this PSU are the 2 fan .
                                          Cheap sleeve bearing ones: they become noisier over time until they fail. Don't put them into your friend's P4 unless you want to replace them in a year or so.

Zandrax
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by zandrax; 08-29-2008, 04:13 PM.
                                          Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
                                          X