Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte K8VT800

Hi folks.
    I have a Gigabyte mobo here that won't boot up.
    The previous owner sold it as defective.
    Caps are mostly Nichicon HMs and Ruby MBZs, there are just a few small Teapos in the 100ยต range. These seem to be the stock caps, none of them look suspicious, no bulging/leaking.

The board does power up, but it won't boot. The fishy thing is that it doesn't give out any error beeps. Nothing. Just silence.

Any ideas?

PS: Unfortunately this one does not have the DualBIOS. (which basically is a good idea, but in the past I've had more problems that could be resolved thanks to MSI's and Epox's solutions, and never had to replace/reflash any EEPROMs).
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Re: Gigabyte K8VT800

anyone?
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Do any of the chipsets on it get hot when it powers up??
      I had a Gigabyte Intel 848P board a while back that powered up with no beeps or POST and is turned out that the southbridge was fried and got very very hot because a crap PSU killed it and the chip had internally shorted....

I don't think it's a BIOS issue because I've seen a few Gigabyte motherboards that fail the BIOS update and come up with a "Award Bootblock" screen that allows the user to recover the failed BIOS.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

No suspicious overheating. NB/SB get a little warm, but that seems fairly normal.
        The +12V rail of my PSU drops a few mV approx. 4 seconds after switching on, but that happens with all other working systems I have, too.
        *something* goes on in there, but I can't figure out what.

The CPU was sold to me as working, and I have no reason to doubt that, but can't test it on a different mobo either.
        I guess if the mobo worked but the CPU was dead I'd get at least some kind of error beeps..?!?

Comment

so both are unknown quantities...?
          MB and CPU....
          I guess your right if the cpu was cactus you would still get some sort of beep from the MB in that regard I expect....

Id check for power issues and check VRM

Akors how to check post on VRM

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=600

pdf (I did of it..bit clearer to follow then post)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...achmentid=5993

Another possibility is those little Xtals on the units I use to work on would die
          (not MB per say)

but not the MB guru here either

HTH

cheers
          Last edited by starfury1; 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM.
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

caps can fail without showing it so if you got an ESR meter Id test them too regardless if you have already
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman
              The CPU was sold to me as working, and I have no reason to doubt that, but can't test it on a different mobo either.
              I guess if the mobo worked but the CPU was dead I'd get at least some kind of error beeps..?!?
              No, you wouldn't. The beeps are caused by the BIOS code, which you need a CPU to execute. There are some boards which have an independent chip like that "uGuru" thingy on some ABit boards, but in the vast majority of cases the board relies strictly on the CPU to do anything intelligent. Without a working firmware and processor combo, the BIOS code can't run and you won't get any post codes or beeps.

That said, bad processors are rare compared to bad boards.

Comment

Many? Most? Some? Nichicon HM and HN produced in 2002 and 2003 were defective due to a manufacturing error. (Supposedly the incorrect amount of electrolyte.)

Also Chemicon KZG will fail with no visible signs.
                [Just mentioned because I know Gigabyte uses them.]

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X