GA-8SIMLFS rev 2.0 Time for a re-cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-8SIMLFS rev 2.0 Time for a re-cap

This motherboard is starting to get rather old but it's rather fun to take out the ye old solder iron.

I noticed a while ago that it was hard to start the computer and when I opened it I saw the reason. The 3300uF caps was leaking, see pictures.

Tomorrow I will get 4 new ones from farnells, probably panasonics.
    Attached Files

Re: GA-8SIMLFS rev 2.0 Time for a re-cap

I will probably go for either:
    Panasonic ECA1AHG332
    or
    NICHICON UPS1A332MHD

Comment

The ECA1AHG332 is NOT low ESR, thus you should NOT use them.
      NICHICON UPS1A332MHD is low ESR, you can use it, but not top notch for motherboards.
      I would suggest to use Panasonic FM:

EEUFM1A332 or EEUFM0J332

they are probably the best choice you can easily get. FC series is recomended too.
      You don`t need 10v caps, as on motherboards there are either 3.3, 5 or 12v.
      6.3v are fine.
      Last edited by gonzo0815; 01-28-2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

The PS (PR in its non-RoHS-compliant incarnation (in-can-ation?)) is a decent non-aqueous low Z series, but the PW series is much lower Z. Go with Panasonic FM, Nichicon HE, or UCC KZE or KY. If you're in the US, those are all available through Digi-Key.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Ok, lucky for me that I wrote a little about my endeavour (=

I bought 4 new Panasonics from the FM series. Tomorrow I will clean the vias and solder them to the board. It will be a tight fit since the old ones were 10 mm in diameter and the new ones are 12,5 mm in diameter. /=

Comment

...and when I got to the store the Panasonics were out of stock. Instead I got 4 Sanyo MV-AX.

Comment

Working...
            X