Gigabyte 7300GS complete overhaul and modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte 7300GS complete overhaul and modding

if u're interested in that video card, here are a few listings for it on ebay: one and two. albeit they are working ones. hard to find one faulty tho if it has such low tdp with a fairly adequate cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Still save that video card, though. The HD4850 and HD4870 video cards have much higher chances of working after a reflow. I've heard the Radeon HD2000 and HD3000 series are like that too.

By the way, I have a curious question about your GeForce 8800 GTS: what resistance do you get for the GPU V_core to ground and RAM Vdd/Vddq to ground? (Also, what is the lowest resistance your multimeter can measure?)
      I am getting 0.2 Ohms for GPU V_Core and around 24 Ohms for RAM Vdd/Vddq supply. Just checking, because I reflowed my 8800 GTS twice now, and it's still dead as a rock. Can't even post the PC with a PCI/AGP card to view the 8800 GTS' BIOS.
      I've tried twice to reflow the 4870 and it did'nt change, still boots but with garbage on the screen.
      You ask in the right time about the 8800 because it died yesterday and I'm going to reflow it tomorrow I can measure what you need today and tomorrow after the reflow.
      but like I said I'm not so good at electronics and I didn't find where I should measure what you need.
      I attach two photos of my card.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hikaruichijo View Post
        I've tried twice to reflow the 4870 and it did'nt change, still boots but with garbage on the screen.
        I had one 4850 do that. Eventually, I got it going, though. But it still artifacted a little bit afterwards under high stress with game benchmarks. So I think a reball may be the next thing I try on it. I haven't done reballing in a very long time, so I think of this as a good opportunity to try it again.
        Anyways, you can try reflowing yours again at a slightly higher temperature. And keep reflowing until it dies if it doesn't work. After all, a video card with artifacts is hardly any better than a dead one, so if it dies from reflowing, I don't think it would be a big loss.

You ask in the right time about the 8800 because it died yesterday and I'm going to reflow it tomorrow I can measure what you need today and tomorrow after the reflow.
        but like I said I'm not so good at electronics and I didn't find where I should measure what you need.
        I attach two photos of my card.
        Ah, my bad luck must have gotten to your 8800 GTS too.
        Below in my post is a revised image of your pictures that shows where you can find the RAM Vdd and GPU V_core. You can measure the resistance there (when the video card is not powered) and voltages (the the video card is powered).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by momaka; 11-12-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I've reflowed it today and it's still alive, V_core to ground 1.3-1.4 omhs and V_ram to ground 25-26 omhs, the same before and after the reflow. V_core 1.27 and V_ram 1.89.

Comment

I've reflowed it today and it's still alive, V_core to ground 1.3-1.4 omhs and V_ram to ground 25-26 omhs, the same before and after the reflow. V_core 1.27 and V_ram 1.89.
            Thanks.

I'm getting very similar readings for the resistances (1.2-1.4 Ohms for the GPU and around 28 Ohms for the RAM), so at least that's good. If I remember correctly, the RAM was showing correct voltage too (around 1.9-2.0V) as was the GPU, though I don't remember what. Still dead as a rock, though. I'm wondering if I should reball it or if that's just beating a dead horse.
            (Plus, I don't have any stencils, so putting the new balls on there is going to be fun for sure. )

Comment

Yes, I can confirm that at least the Radeon HD4850 cards have a really high success rate of working again after either reflow/reball. Got 3.5 out of 4 fixed already (5 more awaiting). They also seem to drop like flies, though.
              I suspect the Radeon 9800 Pro is like that, too, because back in 2007, I wanted upgraded video for my PC and I get random video corruption, even the BIOS screen! So I reseated the video card and it goes away, at least briefly.

I did see stuff change on the screen when I moved the Radeon 9800 Pro around in the AGP slot... Looked like a perfect candidate for a reflow! But, being a rookie, I was hoping that an alcohol bath would fix it...
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Delidding those cards can help a lot in temps, 10c or more if the paste is dry as a bone

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  I suspect the Radeon 9800 Pro is like that, too, because back in 2007, I wanted upgraded video for my PC and I get random video corruption, even the BIOS screen! So I reseated the video card and it goes away, at least briefly.

I did see stuff change on the screen when I moved the Radeon 9800 Pro around in the AGP slot... Looked like a perfect candidate for a reflow! But, being a rookie, I was hoping that an alcohol bath would fix it...
                  I had an all in wonder 9800 SE die exactly like that. Having no knowledge about BGA failures I just moved it or resetted it and that would fix it for a couple of days. Finally the artifacts became permanent.

I still have it waiting for a repair. It could help if I knew whether gpu failed or ram ics

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                    I still have it waiting for a repair. It could help if I knew whether gpu failed or ram ics
                    I've seen too many ATI cards from that generation die with artifacts even when cooled. ChaosLegionnaire too.

Almost certain it's the GPU. And by that, it's probably not the BGA between the board and and substrate but rather substrate and core - i.e. similar to nVidia's bumpgate issue. Either that or something to do with electron migration. These older ATI video cards use leaded solder, so the BGA under the chip is definitely okay.

The good news is, you can often revive these cards with a bit of heat. I've actually found that I've had more success with lower temperatures of around 120-150C than at proper reflow temperatures (190-200C for leaded solder). So you don't even need to do a "proper" reflow to get these cards going. The bad news is.... it won't last long - not with the stock cooling, at least.

Anyways, all these old ATI flip-chip cards are doomed. I suspect up to the X1x00 generation. HD2x00 and newer started becoming more robust. If you want a reliable AGP GPU, go with Radeon 8500 or 9000. Or a GeForce 3, GeForce 4, or GeForce 5 (FX5200-FX5600) card. Those do NOT use flip chip and are actually pretty reliable.
                    Last edited by momaka; 11-16-2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I've seen too many ATI cards from that generation die with artifacts even when cooled. ChaosLegionnaire too.

Almost certain it's the GPU. And by that, it's probably not the BGA between the board and and substrate but rather substrate and core - i.e. similar to nVidia's bumpgate issue. Either that or something to do with electron migration. These older ATI video cards use leaded solder, so the BGA under the chip is definitely okay.

The good news is, you can often revive these cards with a bit of heat. I've actually found that I've had more success with lower temperatures of around 120-150C than at proper reflow temperatures (190-200C for leaded solder). So you don't even need to do a "proper" reflow to get these cards going. The bad news is.... it won't last long - not with the stock cooling, at least.

Anyways, all these old ATI flip-chip cards are doomed. I suspect up to the X1x00 generation. HD2x00 and newer started becoming more robust. If you want a reliable AGP GPU, go with Radeon 8500 or 9000. Or a GeForce 3, GeForce 4, or GeForce 5 (FX5200-FX5600) card. Those do NOT use flip chip and are actually pretty reliable.
                      +5

Add to that a newer problem in some Nvidia VGA cards with the famous 'VGA driver stopped functioning and recovered"..

I think the critical question here ,Momaka , Is there reliable and new chipsets somewhere according to your knowledge ?

Comment

Working...
                      X