Adobe Flash woes... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Flash woes... again.

A few hours ago i was watching a music video on youtube in 1080p and i noticed lots of stuttering. This didn't use to happen. Specs: HP DV9800, C2D T9300 @ 3.06GHz, 4GB DDR2, nvidia 8600M GS, 1920x1200 screen, Crucial C300 SSD and a regular spinner in the 2nd drive bay. Yes it's old. But i'm not big on gaming anymore and it handles everything i throw at it just fine.

So i investigated a bit and looked at the Flash Player version. It's now version 15. 12 was released at the beginning of this year and it took ages to get to version 12, now they're up to version 15 in less than an year?? Now if you go to Archived Flash Player Versions, you'll notice that in the same day there are 4 versions released, two 15.0, one 13.0 and one 11.2.

Every new release touts "improved video performance" or something to that extent. Yet the only thing guaranteed about each new Flash Player release is that it's gonna be SLOWER than the old one. No small wonder Android dropped the support for Flash, and Apple never bothered with them in the first place.

I went back to 11.7 released in December 2013 and 1080p video is once again smooth as silk. The version isn't old enough to get Firefox complaining, so i was happy with it. The problem is, 2 hours later, it silently updated behind my back, without any notification! I want to Adobe. I have turned auto update off in the Flash control panel now, hopefully it'll stay put.

I have a friend with an Asus gaming laptop with an i7, 32GB RAM and a 3GB GTX670MX video card. That thing maxes out almost all games, yet he watches youtube in 480p on a full HD screen as anything higher stutters. This is ridiculous. The Adobe forums are full of similar complaints.

I don't need a new laptop. I am saving money to buy something better, but do i NEED it? No. It handles anything i throw at it and even the odd game or two. Flash needs to die already. Sadly, HTML5 isn't any better, either.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Adobe Flash woes... again.

Adobe Flash is synonymous with PITA. I hate it. You can't get away from it, it's a cross-platform piece of crap.

Comment

Some people on eevblog are complaining too.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/yo...fering-issues/

I just use a youtube downloader in firefox to download what I want to watch and view it offline later.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've tried a few YT dowloaders. Not pleased with results. It's been a while since I've found one that works at all and when they did work they were hit and miss. I think flash downloaders are one reason why flash keeps getting "updated", in an attempt preventing offline viewing, which tends to defeat the purpose of selling ad space. Follow the money...

Comment

You can use VLC player to watch youtube with great performance (i have tested it and it does smooth, stutter-free 720p fullscreen on 2nd monitor on a lowly 1.6GHz Pentium M with 512MB RAM) but it's generally a PITA due to the lack of integration, no playlists, and so on. I want to make a site that automatically replaces the youtube video player with VLC (not a firefox or chrome plugin, plenty of those but all are crashy). However, i'm not good with coding, and it's a big project i cannot handle alone.

There's the application Minitube, but the full version costs money, and the free version has several annoying limitations put in place. For Mac there is MacTubes which is great and enables you to watch fluid 480p fullscreen on an old PPC-based Mac for instance, however, i have not found an Windows equivalent.
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-19-2014, 01:18 PM.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

adobe just writes unreliable spyware.
            it's just a side effect they they can usually play video or display documents.

dont forget to delete your flash-cookies!!!!
            if you run linux, delete the cookies and then set the ownership of the folder to "root", then it cant save anymore!!

Comment

Unique, be wary of running an older version of Flash, whilst it might make youtube less stuttery, it will leave you very vulnerable surfing the net. After Java it is the most compromised piece of software with the popular exploit kits checking for outdated versions.
              Have you tried using Google Chrome to view youtube ?

Comment

I have so far managed to get by without Flash installed on my current install of Windows (reinstalled a few months ago when I upgraded to 64-bit)

Youtube seems happy with the HTML5 player so far.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...ook-libraries/

Funny thing, you wouldn't get that problem if you download pirated eBooks!
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                  I've tried a few YT dowloaders. Not pleased with results.
                  I use this one

https://github.com/gantt/downloadyoutube
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I used to use extensions in Firefox but they kept breaking with all the rapid updates...

The only thing that has consistently worked for me is keepvid.com website.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                      Unique, be wary of running an older version of Flash, whilst it might make youtube less stuttery, it will leave you very vulnerable surfing the net. After Java it is the most compromised piece of software with the popular exploit kits checking for outdated versions.
                      I guess then that's the way they patch vulnerabilities. They make it so slow that people will use it less and thus be less vulnerable. Thanks for the heads up, but i'll be fine.

Have you tried using Google Chrome to view youtube ?
                      It's the same in all browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

It's the same in all browsers.
                        chrome doesn't support NPAPI, Chrome uses Pepper flash, a Google version of flash which the GNU community has worked on a non-NPAPI to NPAPI compatibility layer to get chromes Pepper plugin working in chromium, Firefox, palemoon, midori, etc. no windows version as far as i know.....
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Every new release touts "improved video performance" or something to that extent. Yet the only thing guaranteed about each new Flash Player release is that it's gonna be SLOWER than the old one.
                          Yup.
                          I don't mean to bust your bubble, but yeah... that's old news . I NEVER ever update my flash player anymore. Plug-in version 10.3 it is for all of my old computers. I think I have only one or two with v11. Not sure.

The problem is, 2 hours later, it silently updated behind my back, without any notification! I want to Adobe. I have turned auto update off in the Flash control panel now, hopefully it'll stay put.
                          +1
                          First thing I do after installing an OS is to disconnect the computer from the internet, install most (or all) necessary software from a flash drive, turn off auto-update on whatever software likes to auto-update, and then reconnect the computer back to the net again.

The only time I ever update software is when a version gets too old to work properly with modern stuff (read: forced obsolescence).

I have a friend with an Asus gaming laptop with an i7, 32GB RAM and a 3GB GTX670MX video card. That thing maxes out almost all games, yet he watches youtube in 480p on a full HD screen as anything higher stutters.

That is indeed terrible. With Flash 10.3, I can STILL run 720p YouTube videos on my 2.8 GHz P4 Prescott HT.
                          Really makes me wonder if people even know how to write software nowadays or are just copying and pasting random crap from the net, hence all of this BS.

Two weeks ago, my mom was trying to buy a plane ticket from one of them ticket/travel websites (forgot which). The page controls failed to work on anything other than Internet Explorer. I tried everything I had (Firefox 3.6, Opera 11, and Firefox 24 Portable).

Originally posted by stj
                          it's just a side effect they they can usually play video or display documents.
                          So true.
                          Then again, Google Chrome isn't much better in that regard either. Using Google Chrome for HTML5 so that you can avoid Adobe Flash is synonymous with using a bloated Teapo cap to replace a bloated CapXon cap.
                          Might as well not bother.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Then again, Google Chrome isn't much better in that regard either. Using Google Chrome for HTML5 so that you can avoid Adobe Flash is synonymous with using a bloated Teapo cap to replace a bloated CapXon cap.
                            But even IE does HTML5 now
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                              I think flash downloaders are one reason why flash keeps getting "updated", in an attempt preventing offline viewing, which tends to defeat the purpose of selling ad space. Follow the money...
                              Actually, I think that's why YouTube keeps getting changed. (Not Flash)
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Use Firefox and one of the many YouTube downloaders. If you are running outdated software you are handing your PC to the bad guys. I can't be the only guy on here that's spent 12+ years cleaning crap off computers as part of their job ?
                                And for those that think they're not bothered about your PC as you don't do online banking or online shopping please read this article about the many uses the bad guys have for your PC.
                                http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/10/t...-pc-revisited/

Update that software peoples

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen
                                  I think flash downloaders are one reason why flash keeps getting "updated", in an attempt preventing offline viewing, which tends to defeat the purpose of selling ad space.
                                  Yeah, either that or YouTube itself, as RJARRRPCGP noted (or both?)
                                  I have an old version of YouTube downloader, and it no longer can download videos from certain popular music channels such as VEVO. Not that I listen to popular music anyways, so it doesn't bother me all that much.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  But even IE does HTML5 now
                                  Which versions? I don't think I have anything newer than 8. IE lost me with version 7 - that's where it got really bloated and slow. So I still have many PCs with IE6. I don't use it though, except maybe for badcaps.net only (and only once in a while). Actually, I'm typing this post in IE6 right now.

Update that software peoples
                                  No thanks.

I'd rather have my PC slowed down by viruses and spyware than slowed down by bloated software. Through the years, I have found that the latter is always worse. And I haven't had a single instance of my computers (note that's multiple) getting infected due to outdated Flash player. Java may be another story. But I don't install Java on any of my computers anymore, unless I really have a need for it for some piece of software.

Even all of my XP installs are still SP2. I only put one update on that - KB958644. This stops the annoying DownAdUp worm infection from re-occuring.
                                  With all of that, I haven't had any problems for quite a few years now.

Common sense online + a fat hosts file keeps my PCs safe enough.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 10-26-2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The flash updates are because it is poorly written and they keep finding security holes.
                                    The youtube downloader extension i installed in the summer on Firefox continues to work, none of the updates has stopped it working. VEVO working fine here.
                                    When flash isn't playing a video/game it does not run, therefore cannot be slowing down your PC and the update only runs at startup. Yes it will probably max out a single core processor, but if anything newer is struggling then there are further issues that need investigating.
                                    Just fired up a 7 year old Dell D520 Core 2 Duo 1.67Ghz 2GB, CPU is between 30% and 50% mem usage 56%, no stuttering at all. On a first gen i3 the cpu is using 5%.
                                    Whilst common sense will help you, how does it stop one of the websites you visit being infected by skiddies with an exploit kit ? or a hosts file when most new stuff uses fast flux for c+c. The one i cleaned last week wasn't even picked up by the big name antivirus, or the common malware cleaning programs. 5/56 on virus total.

Comment

VEVO working fine here.
                                      Yes, in the browser it is for me too.
                                      But try to download a video from VEVO (or other popular channel that has CP) with an old version of YouTube Downloader - it won't work. This didn't happen before when my (now old) verison of YouTube Downloader was still fairly new. So Steve and RJAAAR have the right idea here - either YouTube or Adobe Flash keep shooting up updates probably to stop people from downloading "copyrighted" Flash content. Patching up the security holes is likely just a "side-project".

When flash isn't playing a video/game it does not run, therefore cannot be slowing down your PC and the update only runs at startup.
                                      I know that. I actually don't mind the whole Adobe Flash update process at all (in fact, I find it one of the least-annoying ones).
                                      The problem is that newer versions of Flash tend to degrade performance when using Flash, and that's my whole gripe with their updates.

Whilst common sense will help you, how does it stop one of the websites you visit being infected by skiddies with an exploit kit ? or a hosts file when most new stuff uses fast flux for c+c.
                                      I never claimed my methods above are bullet proof at all. (Well, what is these days? )
                                      They are good enough to stop the majority of attacks.

Comment

It doesn't make any difference whether we blame Adobe or YT, the result is the same.

Patching "security holes" can also mean trying to prevent unwanted (by them) content downloading.

Comment

Working...
                                        X