Seasonic X-560 and Corsair AX650 - fail to power on after a week of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasonic X-560 and Corsair AX650 - fail to power on after a week of use

I have a Seasonic X-Series 560W and a Corsair AX650 here which suffer the same symptoms (they are based off the same platform, so I guess its not surprising).

They will power on a computer fine for a few days. But after a few days, they refuse to power on unless the switch at the back is flicked off and back on again. Eventually, the power supplies will stop working. However, if left alone for approximately a week or so, they will power on again properly and the cycle begins again.

What could be the cause of this issue?

Re: Seasonic X-560 and Corsair AX650 - fail to power on after a week of use

Have you checked inside of the PSUs if there are any strange burned things or any bulged capacitor/s ?

Comment

Check all the caps near a heat sink. They may look good, but still be high esr.

Comment

i've found a few case like this.
        according my experience, this is can be weak pwm/apfc controller ic.

Try to heat the ic's in primary and secondary with hot air station.
        One by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thermaltake View Post
          Have you checked inside of the PSUs if there are any strange burned things or any bulged capacitor/s ?

At a quick glance nothing appears to be burned, and no bulging capacitors
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-30-2019, 04:43 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Originally posted by Quaddro View Post
            i've found a few case like this.
            according my experience, this is can be weak pwm/apfc controller ic.

Try to heat the ic's in primary and secondary with hot air station.
            One by one.
            I think I'll just try replacing the ICs instead. ICE2QR4765Z and APW7159A

Comment

weak ic can be cause of broken smd parts, for example smd tantalum capacitor.
              That's why i suggest to blow the ic with hot air first.

If it working after hot air, we can make sure tantalum is the culprit..
              Just replace all tantalum in daughter board.

If the still persist, then the ic is the source of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaddro View Post
                weak ic can be cause of broken smd parts, for example smd tantalum capacitor.
                That's why i suggest to blow the ic with hot air first.

If it working after hot air, we can make sure tantalum is the culprit..
                Just replace all tantalum in daughter board.

If the still persist, then the ic is the source of problem.
                How many degrees and how long should I heat it for?

Comment

According to my experience, around 300 celcius, 1 minute for each section.

While heating the ic and/or smd, try to turn on and off psu (connect/disconect green and black cables) until the psu working.
                  Put some load, like old hdd or anything that can act as load.

the section while psu working, is the main focus to reheat, 3 minutes is enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X