Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThinkPad T400 fan in a 14.1in T61 widescreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThinkPad T400 fan in a 14.1in T61 widescreen?

So, my cheap find has an issue with the fan being rattly, and as a result when I removed the heatsink and fan assembly, the glue and foil has perished from the fan and fins on the heatsink. At the moment I did buy a replacement fan but upon fitting, or trying to, it wasn't even a match.

Now I'm figuring out whether a T400 fan is compatible with my 14.1in T61 Intel-only widescreen, as all I'm looking for is a replaced fan and a working unit again.

I'd appreciate any input on this before I gallivant eBay and the like.

Re: ThinkPad T400 fan in a 14.1in T61 widescreen?

Why not just buy the correct fan ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-THINK...5/182038366582

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      I'll bear this listing in mind, I appreciate it.

But it was a question out of curiosity. My only worry on buying that one will have the same issues with the one I had last, with the pits for the metal copper tabs that surrounds the fan not lining up correctly,

Comment

did you strip the fan?
        you may be able to replace the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          did you strip the fan?
          you may be able to replace the bearings.

I thought about that, but I found a candidate to replace the entire assembly and will keep the heatsink and replacement fan for another unit that may also have issues on hand.

I appreciate all suggestions!

Comment

You can pull up the metal tabs on the housing and remove the metal plate,lift the fan off the shaft.Put a drop of sewing machine oil onto the shaft and put it back together, use some new aluminium heat resistant foil tape .
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
              You can pull up the metal tabs on the housing and remove the metal plate,lift the fan off the shaft.Put a drop of sewing machine oil onto the shaft and put it back together, use some new aluminium heat resistant foil tape .

Any recommendations for the tape?

Comment

the tape is just to keep the dust out, use anything you want.

Comment

Update on this: The replacement blades on the other fan fit just fine with the original, and since the unit has been repasted with the heatsink reinstalled it's been perfectly passive at 45c with the MX-2 paste I used.

Comment

Working...
                  X