High voltage Capxon LP failing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High voltage Capxon LP failing issues

Dear members! I have a blog about these craps and finally i feel the time right to post here too.

The story and possible background is described in details in hungarian. If needed, i will translate all of them. The basics in short:

So many FSP and OEM power supplies built around the CM6800 controller, commonly named as "green line", "Bluestorm II" and "Epsilon" suffering this. Symptoms are clear: PSU failing with low load, or even no load, buzzing noise. These are the least worries, but some of them failing with the PFC coil totally burnt without failing the PFC FETs, or even the FETs are in short. After the significant rise of these unusual problems with FSP PSUs, it's clear that the primary capacitor has some kind of faliure. But this not as straight, as these caps may show exactly good parameters with a multimeter or even an ESR meter! Only a part of them may show no capacity at all, or even very high ESR. So afterall, i decided to take a closer look inside.
    Devastating. The anode conductor has totally pulverized, some kind of corrosion is in effect and contact is loose, unstable, sometimes shows spikes have arisen.

Collected data show these commons:
    -All Capxon LPs are affected with date 2005-2006, seems that 2006.10 is already OK
    -The affected voltage rating is 400V. 450V models seem OK, but sample is too low.
    -180uF..330uF values are surely all affected.
    -There are some of these replaced as a preventive action, showing nothing unusual in use, but disassembled and clearly affected (that makes the problem even risky)
    -No bulging, no vent

With conjunction of some collagues, we believe that a failing manufacturing process may be the primary reason, but the use of active PFC may also helps, as with the use of active PFC, the ESR value of the primary capacitor surely gets into brighter sight.

The blog is here: http://logout.hu/cikk/kapacitasproblemak/teljes.html

We (the prohardver forum) have also contacted FSP about this issue and awaiting answer from them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by didyman; 11-03-2009, 01:04 AM.

Re: High voltage Capxon LP failing issues

seeing the same thing in apple g5 psu's and even in industrial stuff.
    on the one i autopsied the lead foils to the terminals were gone.

Comment

Could be the nanosecond long too high spikes is so high or incorrect electrolyte?

Spikes means bad design or unique to specific PF IC controller or PF circuit itself.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
        Could be the nanosecond long too high spikes is so high or incorrect electrolyte?

Spikes means bad design or unique to specific PF IC controller or PF circuit itself.

Cheers, Wizard
        Capxon LH series, and the Ost isn't affected, aswell younger Capxon's don't show any sign of beginning corrosion. Despite of that, CM6800 and its former L4800 counterparts have some issues regarding the PFC, maybe just requiring better qualty caps to work flawlessly.

Comment

wait until you soon lose American made
          Panasonic foil
          soon to be only capxon next year

maybe somebody could stop that
          I hope

Comment

Capxon is GARBAGE.

Comment

thanks for the reminder.

Comment

When I tested my collection of 400/450V electrolytics, I found two which had no capacitance at all.
                Could it be a bad weld or electrolyte corrosion between the foil and the leads?
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

open them and find out.

Comment

you have a collection of CrapXon? The only place they should be collected is in a landfill.

Comment

DELL like capxon, i have a dead psu here that was killed by one leaking.

Comment

Working...
                      X