This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all, glad to be here. I'm looking for infos to fix a broken dear friend's computer, asus x55a.
    I'm currently working as a tech support guy for several councils infrastructure of my province, but I never dived before to fix mobos. Hope to be lucky.
    As many folks here, I saw the real birth of the IT, from the first non IBM compatible pc (ZX, QL Sinclair, do you remember the evilish microdrives?) and Commodore, to the first DOS machines 8086, 286-8 MHz 386 and so on till the ultimate i7-xxxx.
    I worked for about 25 years with mainframes OS390 and z/OS systems as a mainframe operator, mainly for banks. Those are real monsters, our little boxes are little toys in comparing.
    I like to fix home appliances and radios and I had met so many times problems with bad and old, fried, exploded capacitors.
    That's all :-)
    Carlo

Comment

Hello all,
      My name is brimes1 and I came across your site by accident and found it to be most interesting. So I thought that I should join and find out much more. My background is mainly electrical & mechanical with a bias on electrical and have enjoyed working at trade for over 41 years, sometime back last century I did a City & Guilds in PC building. Really I just got my work to pay for me to build my first PC. Very nice of them I must say. I am interested in most technological stuff and am no happier than when I am taking things apart and rebuilding them to A1 standard. I really enjoy the buzz from fixing anything that has been scrapped and is then fixed and put back in use. Normally I don't charge for my time but if, as and when I need to buy replacement parts then I will cover the cost of the spare needed. I have recently moved onto fixing the flat screen TVs after seeing so many being put out for the bin men. Once fixed I will sell onto anyone who is willing to pay £25 for a repaired TV. I get great delight in learning something new every day. So in a nut shell that's me. I am looking forward to perusing this site. Regards to all, Brimes1

Comment

Hello everyone, my name is Miles. Really hoping this forum is still at least semi-active. Which if it is, congratulations! Y'all have survived the world wide web for roughly 15 years! Born in the early 90's, loved electronics and computers since I was young(er). I'm a couple classes short of an associates in computer networking. Really got into repairing electronics about a handful of years ago, although I still feel i have a lot to learn, by picking up TVs people would throw out. Since then I have had my fair share of successful attempts. From TV repair to converting classic consoles (SNES,N64) into handhelds. I tend to ask a lot of questions. Mainly because I feel the need to understand why something is done a specific way, rather than just doing it that way blindly. Not to much more in my metaphorical purse I can dump onto the table for y'all.
        Sooo. I'm glad to be here, and look forward to meeting everyone!

Comment

hello my name is dean im from canada we dont have proper stores or supply routes to this barren wasteland so if something breaks you have to find out how to fix it
          or send it off to civilization at 10.00 dollars a pound shipping fees
          so im trying to figure out this broken tv before the country freezes up in 2 months

Comment

Hi everyone,

Morphsie here from Belgium. I'm looking to learn something about bios passwords and general troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi. I'm from Puerto Rico. I have always been fascinated with electronics, but never took it seriously. I've been unemployed for almost three years. I love to do all kinds of DIY projects and get my hands dirty, which has helped me to learn about other things and get some small jobs around. So I decided to include electronics in that list, start reading about it and start learning.

Comment

Hello All!

Glad to be joining this impressive forum. I particularly appreciate the ethic (let everyone know who you are, where you're from, make it personal) and I wonder if TopCat ever imagined how popular BadCaps would become? But it probably has to do with the founding principles he has engendered on this site, which makes for an enduring community. Not trying to brown-nose, just like forums like these as opposed to the more impersonal variety.

Anyway, I'm Dan, from NYC, but I originally hail from upstate, where I worked as an engineer for Xerox, then for Kodak, before moving here. Like TopCat, I enjoy problem solving - I do not code at all, though I truly wish I had that knowledge. Also like TopCat, I enjoy the ZX! Actually, my favorite drive was a Datsun (pre-Nissan) 280ZX Turbo. With the T-Bar tinted sunroof. That thing was a rocket-sled. I could rarely pull up to a stop light without someone next to me gunning their engine, looking for an impromptu drag race. Wish I still had that care, though if I did I probably wouldn't have a license... And they tended to rust, but I'd love to find that car again in mint condition.

Very importantly, I'm NOT an electrician of any kind. As an engineer, I did end-to-end systems testing and quality assurance, finding design flaws and figuring out why they occurred. Then I'd pass that info off to the coders for fixes, unless there were hardware issues, which I solved myself. I tested both Windows and Apple OS's in virtually every iteration and every language. I am competent in the Windows registry and with virtually any and all hardware in the PC realm.

Prior to my corporate work, I sold high-end stereo equipment (before high-end went insane and into the stratosphere), and Hi-Fi remains my passion. I have four independent stereo systems in my five-room apartment, and there is no end to the number of things I feel compelled to buy, though my bank balance is not very accommodating. I am a member of several Hi-Fi forums and techie forums.

When it comes to this forum, while I'd love to take the time to learn to diagnose electronics on a component-by-component basis, but time is one thing I definitely do NOT have. I can solder, but for me it's faster to swap out a board as opposed to tracking down individual caps or resistors. So that's the level I'm at, though I'm amazed at the number of people in here who not only can swap out individual diodes, but have the skill and equipment necessary for re-balling. Wow. Maybe at some point someone might want to take on a re-ball project for me on the barter system?

And if anyone else out there is also into Hi-Fi, let me know. I'd love to know what others are into, what setups they're running, etc.

Thanks again for this great forum, looking forward to meeting others and taking part.

Regards,
                Dan

Comment

New as well, trying to figure out my failed Samsung PN50B430P2D

Comment

hey everyone, love the site and have been using it for some time for excellent repair info.

Comment

Hi guys, I've join this forum cause I'm trying to repair my Samsung TV. Has no picture but has sound. Watched videos about repairs and was led to Badcaps Forum.Hope you all could help.

Comment

HELLO ALL,

My name is Robert, I've been in the Consumer Electronics service business for cough cough 40 somthin years.
                        I am semi retired mostly cause the repairs are almost non existent these days.
                        I run a mobile repair business from home now and do service for a large furniture/electronics business in my area.

With the advent of more and more board replacement and lack of schematics for modern TV's and failing eyesite I'm a little rusty on troubleshooting down to component level when it comes to unmarked surface mounted IC's and other s/m components.

I will be happy to try to assist anyone with troubleshooting needs
                        While maybe learning something along the way

Robert
                        TVservice1

Comment

hi all.
                          i'm a laptop technician and i'm still learning about repairing laptop from any forums.

so maybe could be part of this forums.

regards

Comment

Hi everybody,

My name is Omar & I am an electronics hobbyist & also I interested in fixing laptops & computers , also some time salvage a components from old boards & collecting them for future use , I hope I can get more technical information for this forum & also share what I have .

Wish good luck to every one & my best regards.

Thank you.

Comment

hello all glad to be on board

Comment

Hello from Bulgaria ! ... have a lot of things to do so.. lets start str8 away

Comment

Hey all!

I'm Gary and I've been in IT for over 20 years. I didn't even know about this forum, until google pointed it out to me during a search. I have some questions and I'll be posting them, as soon as my restriction is lifted!

Have a good day!

Comment

Hello folks,
                                    thanks for accepting my registration. I am keen on networking and electronics.
                                    Bye

Comment

Hi all, I'm Alison, new to the forum. I'm from Chesterfield, Derbyshire in the UK. I've been teaching electrical engineering for over 20 year but a bit light on electronics knowledge. hoping to improve

Comment

Hello! I am a newbie here and very interested in electronic repairs particularly TV's but enjoy all electronics as a hobby.

Comment

Hello. Never thought I'd get into component level electronics again but here I am looking for information for surface mounted fuses on mother boards.

Comment

Working...
                                          X