JVC tv Power Supply Caps Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVC tv Power Supply Caps Question

Received a free JVC tv, would not power on. Testing revealed startup cap for stby volts bad, a 1uf 50v Lelon electrolytic. Replaced the one cap and all is good, tv now works.

My question is would it be a good measure to replace all of the caps on the psu, it has a mixture of Nichions and Lelons for more longevity? It was manufactured in 2008.

Re: JVC tv Power Supply Caps Question

If you have an ESR Meter you could probably check ALL the e-caps on the PSU and if they are doubtful then replace them, as preventative maintenance. However, if your set works why interfere with it, running the risk of cracking joints, installing caps wrong, shorting joints or breaking the board. My advice, Let sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

Or you take the view that any cap that under 100uf replace it just because the small diameter caps dry out faster than the bigger ones do

Now if were me and the caps brands that have a tendency to be bad and ones that you replace on site when you see them ( Lelons ) for me this is a brand when I see them I replace them

Most of the time I just recap it and be done with it

But I would not be in a hurry doing this job for the reasons given by Ali in the post above
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

There are only 5 of the Lelons on the board. The rest are Rubycons, or UCC.

I think I will replace the lelons and leave the others alone. Have done other cap replacements so no problems there. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X