Dell Vostro 3560 Beeping Repeatedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Vostro 3560 Beeping Repeatedly

Hi guys, this is my first real post in this forum and I'm already asking for help

I have a Dell Vostro 3560 which is currently POSTing one time out of X (X, which sometime is > to 20/30 times)

When it doesn't POST it beeps at a regular interval, it goes on and on until I remove the power adapter/battery
    Watch the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcxCMwWOI4w
    (I have removed the right logic board daughterboard since it was getting in the way, therefore Ethernet, USB and WiFi card are "missing")

When it POSTs it boots up normally and I can use it again until I power cycle..

What I've tried so far:
    Remove/replace the RTC/CMOS battery
    Replace the SO-DIMM memory
    Supply power only by battery
    Supply power only by AC adapter
    Supply power by both battery and AC adapter

I've access to a multimeter, oscilloscope, SPI flash programmer (with a SOIC-8 clip) plus other tools (soldering station, hot air station etc.)

In the attachment there is the notebook schematic

How should I proceed to diagnose/resolve the problem?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Vostro 3560 Beeping Repeatedly

This is 1 beep that repeats. It means Bios problem. you can try reprogramming the Bios chip. First, upload the original bios dump here as a backup.
    Does the laptop stay stable when it boots fine? can it run any programs properly?
    Last edited by caspian; 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply caspian

Yes, it seems that the laptop is fine when it boots properly, I'm able to run the software installed on the HDD (the OS is Windows 7 x64 if that could help).

However I must say that I've not yet tried running a CPU intensive SW or a stress SW (like Prime95 or similar)..

I'll try the next time I'm able to boot up the laptop

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
        This is 1 beep that repeats. It means Bios problem. you can try reprogramming the Bios chip. First, upload the original bios dump here as a backup.
        Does the laptop stay stable when it boots fine? can it run any programs properly?
        This laptop has two SPI Flash, one EON EN25QH16-104HIP_SO8 (2 MByte) and one EON EN25Q32B-104HIP_SO8 (4 MByte)
        Should I dump both ICs?

EDIT
        On the schematic I see that the 2MByte SPI flash is for "WIN8" and the 4MByte one is for "ME" (I assume they are talking about Intel ME)
        Last edited by merlo; 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Should I dump them "in-circuit" (ICSP) or it's better removing them from the board?

Comment

Originally posted by merlo View Post
            Should I dump them "in-circuit" (ICSP) or it's better removing them from the board?
            better to remove from mb and take backup with a programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
              Hi again caspian, I've uploaded the BIOSes dumps
              How should I proceed with the flashing?
              Download the BIOS from Dell website and simply flash it?
              Attached Files

Comment

There is a bios update on Dell's website but I do not know how to write it. It would be easier if you find a bios dump. I found the following dump from the Internet. But I do not know whether it works or not. You can try it.
                It is also possible that the problem was not related to Bios.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by caspian; 03-14-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I have extracted main and EC from dell official bios update for your model. Try both bios and post result.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                    I have extracted main and EC from dell official bios update for your model. Try both bios and post result.
                    Thank you very much mcplslg123, that worked right away!

I have only one question though, how were you able to extract the two BIOSes from the package (3560A17.exe) from the Dell website?
                    I have tried with the "-writehdrfile" and "-writeromfile" (also "/writehdrfile" and "/writeromfile") switches but all I get a "Invalid WinFlash parameters" error message.
                    Last edited by merlo; 03-15-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by merlo View Post
                      Thank you very much mcplslg123, that worked right away!

I have only one question though, how were you able to extract the two BIOSes from the package (3560A17.exe) from the Dell website?
                      I have tried with the "-writehdrfile" and "-writeromfile" (also "/writehdrfile" and "/writeromfile") switches but all I get a "Invalid WinFlash parameters" error message.

Very pleased to know it worked for you. Now about your query-

When you try writehdrfile command, a new window pops up giving some error-thats correct. Now dont close that window and go to temp folder of your documents & settings folder or whereever it goes depending on windows version you are using. You will get a file with FD extension, though the size is 7 mb approx.

You need to extract 4mb and 2mb bios from this file using Hex editor and thats why old bios is always needed.

Comment

hello guys,

I have a similar issue with a Vostro 3560, mainboard LA-8241. It had the exact same symptoms Merlo's computer had.

In the mean time I tried to flash a new bios in recovery mode and things got wrong. After restart, the computer is completely dead, no post, no fan, no led's.

I tried flashing the bios files manually by desoldering the chips and programm them on an external programmer, however there is no change.

Before programming I made a backup of the data written in the chips. The image extracted from the EC flash seems to match with some images I found in the internet, the BIOS image does not match. Until now I think I flashed 3 or 4 different images, but still no result

Do you have any idea of what could be the problem?

I'm familiar with microelectronics and I have all the tools I need to do a repair work on this board (except BGA machine ).

Thank you,

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by cd-i View Post
                          hello guys,

I have a similar issue with a Vostro 3560, mainboard LA-8241. It had the exact same symptoms Merlo's computer had.

In the mean time I tried to flash a new bios in recovery mode and things got wrong. After restart, the computer is completely dead, no post, no fan, no led's.

I tried flashing the bios files manually by desoldering the chips and programm them on an external programmer, however there is no change.

Before programming I made a backup of the data written in the chips. The image extracted from the EC flash seems to match with some images I found in the internet, the BIOS image does not match. Until now I think I flashed 3 or 4 different images, but still no result

Do you have any idea of what could be the problem?

I'm familiar with microelectronics and I have all the tools I need to do a repair work on this board (except BGA machine ).

Thank you,

Daniel
                          Do u have ENE KB9012 on board?

Comment

RTC error.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                              Do u have ENE KB9012 on board?
                              yes, I just checked it's supply voltages, and everything seems to be ok.

Comment

After reading on the forum and checking all the voltages I concluded that I need to reflash KB9012. Do you know, if the EC ROM image is the same for all the configurations of this motherboard?
                                I got a broken mother board and I can try to read the EC and copy the image into mine. The only "small" difference is that one motherboard has integrated graphics and the other has dedicated graphic chip. Supposing I'll be able to extract the image from the broken mother board and successfully write it into mine, do I have any chance to fix it or I need to get an image extracted from the exact motherboard model and configuration as the one I have?

Comment

Here is your EC bios for KB9012. Its same for LA-8241 & 8242
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you mcplslg123, for the EC bios. Flashing EC controller solved the problem. Now my computer is back to life.

Thank you again guys for the hints.

Comment

Hi guys! Thanks for sharing the bios files. Could anyone tell, how they should be named, so that I could flash it? Tha

Comment

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum and if i am in wrong section
                                        please move me in correct section.

I have a Dell Vostro 3560 which is not posting.when i press power button
                                        it turns on and beeps 1 beep regularly.the screen is black and no output
                                        on external monitor.there is no response from f2 or f12 keys to get in to bios.

i have tried to press power button for 30 sec after removal of battery and ac.
                                        swap and replace memory.
                                        tried to run with and without battery and ac.

i have also tried bios recovery by downloading bios from dell site and extracted
                                        3560A11.fd file.
                                        i have put this file on flash drive and plug in to laptop, press end" key and inserted
                                        ac in to laptop. the laptop fan comes on and afterwhile usb key lights up few times
                                        and then there is only fan running.There is only black screen, none of the led lit up
                                        not even power led.i have left it running like this for 20 min and it has not worked.

Any help you can give me to sort this problem is welcomed. i have only basic knowledge
                                        but hoping to learn more from this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                        X