What is RoHS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is RoHS?

To my knowledge the only Gallium Arsenide semis I have in my house are in my two Electroline dropamp cable amplifiers.

I have about 8 splits and passive splitters weren't cutting it .

The Arsenide did raise an eyebrow when I read it in the specs.

They claim it reduces the noise introduced during amplification when compared with silicon semis.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Sorry for bumping.

What they really need to do is to ban planned obsolescence. If things didn't break then having lead in them wouldn't be much of a problem...

RoHS

Comment

no, planned obsolence is a GOOD thing. it just needs to be changed to be extended from what most companies have it for. non ROHS would just stop the bga problems, but there would still be bad caps, bad mosfets, and other bad parts, to which having lead in your solder would not make much difference

but ROHS is stupid cause the amount of solder in a whole board is so small. Murcury from ccfls is more of an enviormental problem. But, all the pollution from factories in china is probably the worst enviormental problem, but as long as the products they import dont' have lead, the US looks the other way as long as what WE get dosen't contain lead, but the factories producing them are sweatshops, that pollute the globe at large

am I on a soapbox? hmm, I guess I somehow ended up on one and didn't even realize it
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          no, planned obsolence is a GOOD thing.

but ROHS is stupid cause the amount of solder in a whole board is so small.

Murcury from ccfls is more of an enviormental problem.
          All fluorescent lights. I don't know WHY people made such a big fuss over the new CFLs.

Also, metallic mercury ≠ organic mercury (I hope you knew already)

am I on a soapbox? hmm, I guess I somehow ended up on one and didn't even realize it
          Perhaps you are...

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
            I find businesses with dimension 2350's still today, and they want to upgrade the ram with a P4 1.8 cpu hoping it would make thier computer super fast. Planned obsolescence is a good thing, but its usually too short or long
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              upgrade the ram with a P4 1.8 cpu

Anyway, those people have to be fools.

Comment

I've run into some interesting material, see the attachement…

Notice page 11, I think it says pretty much everything.
                Attached Files
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Reading about that Toyota incident, I think the eco-freaks deserve to die. And it's scary how little voltage it takes to form a plasma arc. Five volts?!

Comment

No, I support some environmentalist policies myself, such as reducing the amount of CO2 we put into the atmosphere.

The key is not to take it to the enviro-mentalist too far, and lead-free solder is an example of that.

But this is politicians looking good, and it's very unlikely to be reversed, even though it would likely lead to greater reliability.

Maybe it'll take some large scandal like every third Xbox 360 failing after 13 months... oh, wait.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1 View Post

I knew we had LED torches bit of other stuff
                      but looking here it seems quite a bit is going on that way
                      (more then I thought, Street lights!)
                      The town of Springfield (Vermont) has been having LED street lights installed!

Since 2011, with most installed during 2012.

I'm gonna miss metal halide, lol.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                        Reading about that Toyota incident, I think the eco-freaks deserve to die. And it's scary how little voltage it takes to form a plasma arc. Five volts?!

Off topic: I see somebody besides me is using my smiley... cMon Topcat, add it! "" would be an appopriate code for it...
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I think I may have the answer as to why they put lead on the RoHS list without thinking it through.

Stress.

It doesn't really need to be said again that stress is the #1 cause of mistakes. Ironically (but unfortunately too true), people often stress about mistakes.

I honestly think lead has earned too much of a reputation for being toxic, causing people to forget about those other toxic substances. That only two of the lead-free solders compared in the PDF (Sn99.3Cu0.7, which isn't especially reliable even compared to other lead-free solders, and Sn89Zn8Bi3 by a small margin) had lower human toxicity potential than Sn63Pb37...and every solder with silver was many times more toxic...if that's not an epic fail, I don't know what is. Some people just don't get it.

The analogy some people use by comparing it with petrol is, of course, completely ridiculous, as lead in solder stays in place for the life of the equipment, unlike tetraeythllead which is continually released straight into the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, popular opinion is what makes the votes, no matter how ill-considered it may be.

Comment

Ouch.

This is what I got when I made pixel measurements of the human toxicity potential graph (from the study document itself):

Between each multiple of 10 on the scale is 28 pixels.

The bar for Sn63Pb37 goes only 4 pixels up.

The bar for Sn95.5Ag3.8Cu0.7 goes 229 pixels up.

Which calculates to a kg DCB equivalent of:

Sn63Pb37: 1.42857...
                            Sn95.5Ag3.8Cu0.7: 81.7857142857...

Seriously, WTF environmentalists???

Comment

Keep in mind also how heavily lead was used before they realised its toxicity. Silver being a precious metal, it's understandable why it doesn't get as much bad press.

I feel that many things get this type of treatment where people overhype the negative aspects without fully understanding the differences. Some of these include air conditioning, fan heaters, and the Pentium 4. All of those fare poorly in generalised comparisons with the alternatives, but if assessed on their own merits, there's nothing truly wrong with them.

Comment

It would probably be best if people stopped thinking of "toxic" and "non-toxic" substances. Anything can have ill effects with bad enough overexposure. Yes, even oxygen, green freaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X