Understanding TV Power LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding TV Power LEDs

It seems a lot of people can be confused by the power LED on the TV they're working on. If you've never seen a particular model, the LED may be confusing if it doesn't behave as one might expect. A list of typical power LED states for a variety of brands are included in this post.

Atec (Only one model for sure)
    Power LED is RED in standby. Powering up the TV makes the LED go ORANGE, then GREEN. If no input present or the signal isn't present, may go orange again. No known blink codes.

Hyundai (Only one model for sure)
    Power LED is RED in standby. Powering up the TV makes the LED blink GREEN, then go solid green.

LG (Older models)
    Power LED is RED in standby, then WHITE or GREEN when powered on. May flash when first powering on. Only blink code is continuous flashing on some models, which indicates a power on fault (generally non-specific though typically the PSU.)

LG (Newer models)
    Power LED is RED in standby, and pulsates red when powering up. Once powered up, the LED goes out or turns BLUE or WHITE. No known blink codes.

Panasonic (European, possibly other regions)
    Power LED is RED in standby. Immediately detected errors detected lead to a blink code (see service manual.) When powered on, the LED will then blink GREEN. If an error is detected during the power on phase, an error code will then be thrown (LED will blink red.) If the self-test succeeds, the LED will light solid green and the TV should be fully powered up. If a fault occurs during operation, a blink code may be thrown in the same way as before.

Panasonic (US)
    Power LED is RED in standby. Immediately detected errors detected lead to a blink code (see service manual.) When powered on, the LED will then blink red rapidly. If an error is detected during the power on phase, an error code will then be thrown (LED will blink red.) If the self-test succeeds, the LED will light solid red and the TV should be fully powered up. If a fault occurs during operation, a blink code may be thrown in the same way as before.

Philips (Some models)
    Power LED is RED in standby. When turned on it may go BLUE or GREEN. If an error occurs, a blink code may be used (this may be green, blue or red.)

Samsung
    Standby WHITE, RED or BLUE. When turned on, usually blinks. When fully powered up the LED will extinguish. No known blink codes.

Sharp (non-Vestel) (some models)
    Power LED is RED in standby. When turned on, LED turns green. If an error occurs, the LED will go red and will flash along with the OPC LED. The combined error code greatly narrows down the issue: an error of 2-5, for example, indicates a main board 5V failure. (One can wish for other manufacturers to implement this... but they haven't.)

Sony
    Power LED is RED in standby. When turned on, may or may not blink. LED turns GREEN when turned on. Blink codes on some models (refer to service manual.)

Toshiba (non-Vestel)
    Power LED is RED in standby. Powering on may result in a GREEN power LED. If an error occurs, the green will go off. No known blink codes.

Vestel
    LED is typically lit in standby, and may vary in colour. This varies with each model. When powered on, if a self test fails, the LED will blink continuously until the unit is unplugged. LED is typically dark when powered on. No known blink codes.

Vizio
    Glowing logo usually ORANGE in standby. When turned on goes WHITE. An error after turning white will typically lead to the LED staying lit white. No known blink codes.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: Color issues
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Understanding TV Power LEDs

Orion (Only one model for sure)
    Power LED is solid RED for off, blinking RED for computer-initiated standby (VGA input). When turned on, power LED turns OFF, and display shows "Please Wait" until startup is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      ...Hyundai (Only one model for sure)
      Power LED is RED in standby. Powering up the TV makes the LED blink GREEN, then go solid green...
      Now you've confused me.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
      Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Originally posted by Radio Fox View Post
        Now you've confused me.
        We need blinking text. IIRC there is some sort of HTML that does that. Not sure if there is forum code equivlents though.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Radio Fox View Post
          Now you've confused me.
          His reference is to Hyundai, that should explain it all!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Lol, yeah. Don't know about their cars but their TVs are sure rubbish. Picked it up (32" LCD) for £10 on eBay, needed a new diode. Also replaced 8 crappy capacitors. Has three dead pixels in a row, solid green ("C" grade panel.) Draws something like 15W in standby with just the LED lit. Put it in the kitchen, not worth selling.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a Brain Training game I played on the Nintendo DS where you had to say the colour of the word, not the colour that the word spelled out. It measured the "Stroop Effect".

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/words.html

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
              Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

The word "green" is colored yellow.

Comment

That is an error I made, if a moderator wishes to correct it I have no objection.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    The word "green" is colored yellow.
                    yeah right..,its colored yellow...

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      That is an error I made, if a moderator wishes to correct it I have no objection.
                      Fixed it.

No sweat. We all mess up from time to time...
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Oh, my new LG says you thanks! Full information

Comment

Working...
                        X