Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to force a board to take different firmware from download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to force a board to take different firmware from download?

I'm attempting to convert a Samsung UN65FH6001AF to a UN65H6203AF. They both use the same panel. I need a main board for the UN65H6203, but it's about $60. I can find one for the UN60H6203 for only $10. It has the same board numbers, and appears identical. I suspect its nothing more than firmware which differs on them. I can find firmware on the Samsung website for the 65" and I'm thinking I should be able to use a hex editor to change some value and make it think it's for the 60". I did something similar when upgrading firmware on a laptop once. Alternatively, it may be as simple as just entering the service menu and changing the model. I have programmers, but is it as simple as just flashing the downloaded file? Has anyone done something similar or have any suggestions?
    Last edited by lookimback; 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: Anyone know how to force a board to take different firmware from download?

I do the kind of thing you are doing all the time with Samsung 1080p models and it should be fine if the ps connector has the same pinout and all the other connectors are the same. If so, you might turn it on and have an upside down image, but a quick trip into the service menu will give you many options one of them will flip the image right side up. 4K models (especially those without a Tcon) is a whole other thing. Those main boards are very model specific.

If you figure out how to force firmware changes on LG mainboards that would be great. They are much more model specific in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
      I do the kind of thing you are doing all the time with Samsung 1080p models and it should be fine if the ps connector has the same pinout and all the other connectors are the same. If so, you might turn it on and have an upside down image, but a quick trip into the service menu will give you many options one of them will flip the image right side up. 4K models (especially those without a Tcon) is a whole other thing. Those main boards are very model specific.

If you figure out how to force firmware changes on LG mainboards that would be great. They are much more model specific in my experience.
      I knew I couldn't be the only one with this idea. I may have to order the wire set since I don't have the wire for the WiFi module unless I can figure out the pinout. I have a back panel from a UN60H6203 and the input area appears to align perfectly in the 65", so my intent is to cut it out and rivit it in place on the 65" back panel. I think I can do it in such a way that it will look as if it came from the factory that way. I'll take and post pictures when I get all the parts and do the mod. I'm going to download the firmware from the 60" and 65" and compare the files, but I already think they are the same. Haven't done this to an LG yet, but I did swap nand chips a few times on the serial specific Sony's. Also did a nand swap on an old Maxim plasma when nobody had the board for the size pdp I was working with. But, that requires you to have a donor board, or a firmware dump and a programmer. If the firmware is downloadable from LG, I'm certain with a hex editor you could disable checking for the specific model, or somehow make it think it is for the model you are forcing it on. I came across a forum once for modded firmware for LG TVs when I was trying to see if a TV with DLNA could be turned into a wired smart TV. Some can, no luck with mine though. I dont remember where that forum was though.

Comment

maybe this is the lg mod forum i found it when i was looking for some lg firmware so bookmarked it
        http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph...rted_TV_models

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
          maybe this is the lg mod forum i found it when i was looking for some lg firmware so bookmarked it
          http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph...rted_TV_models
          Possibly...

Comment

Upon further research, it appears the firmware download file is the same for the UN60H6203 and the UN65H6203, so it may be as simple as switching models in the service menu.

Comment

I'm thinking you are right about switching models in the firmware. You likely won't even need to do that. Only 1 out of 4 typically require that for me.

some interesting stuff with the LGMOD site. I'll have to look into it more. any idea if it works on late model tvs (pretty much all I work on) from 2016-18?

Comment

I saw a YouTube video where someone was showing different options in the service menu and one part there was an option to change the model. I should be doing this next week. Have to replace bad LEDs first, and I need to make room before I can do that. Making room is the hardest part of the job.

Comment

That's the thing, it's easy enough to get into the service menu and change the model on an LG tv, but a model change doesn't seem to change the display like it does for a samsung. Seems like the Samsung boards carry some "extra" software, but the LG are much more model specific?

Comment

That's the thing, it's easy enough to get into the service menu and change the model on an LG tv, but a model change doesn't seem to change the display like it does for a samsung. Seems like the Samsung boards carry some "extra" software, but the LG are much more model specific?
                    Do you mean screen size specific?

Comment

Perhaps there's another option to change panel numbers?

Comment

Even changing the LVDS settings doesn't change anything in a newer model LG. switch it from 8 bit, 10 bit, it has the same display, while that SHOULD mess things up pretty good I would think. I have completely messed with the settings to double check and changing them does nothing. Powerdown, and it still shows the settings have been changed... but even after a firmware upgrade (with the new settings) there are no changes in the display.

It's not a big deal for me I guess. When I run into this problem I just grab a Main board from another model that does work with that particular LCD panel, but it's a pain to have to do that.

Comment

I haven't worked on this yet, still working on rearranging the shop so I'll have room to work on TVs this big. I figured I'd post an update with my findings though. The main board came in and fit right in place, there's screw holes to accommodate different boards. The LVDS cable fit perfectly (T-Cons are the same for smart and non-smart version). Power supply is different, as is the wire harness. Maybe I could have made it work if I could have figured out the pinout at the main board, but I found a power supply for the smart version and it included the wire harness. Cost me $60. Also ordered the harness for the WiFi/IR sensor for $10. So, I'm at $189 total, including $80 invested in upgrades, $9 for a remote, and the $100 I paid for the TV. The power supply from the non-smart version sells on eBay for $80-100, and the main board for $84. If I can sell them on eBay, maybe I can come out close to even. Also, I discovered that the back cover from the UN60H6203 is identical in size and shape to the cover from the UN60FH6100. The only difference is the holes for the inputs. Unfortunately for me, it was near the bottom of my scrap pile and it's not in good shape, so I'll still be doing some sheet metal work.

Comment

Finally got back to this. Main board ended up being from a UN60J6200 and worked without any problems. I did go into the service menu and change the panel from a 60" one to a 65" one, but it worked fine either way. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to open it up again because the bottom half is dimmer than the top. I replaced 39 bad LEDs and then all the strips lit, but I guess I should have checked to see that they were all drawing the same current. As far as modifying the back panel, I think it turned out pretty good. Of course, as luck would have it, I picked up a 55" yesterday which also has the exact same back panel. I'll just save that for the next one.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X