Capacitor ESR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor ESR

Capacitor ESR is often raised as an issue. The following link gives a good explanation of ESR and related capacitor characteristics.

http://xtronics.com/reference/esr.htm
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Re: Capacitor ESR

Hello,
    I Wanted To Ask About The Relation Between ESR For Caps & The Power Sustained & If Leakage Current Is Related To That ESR?
    Thanx

Comment

The first thing I thought about after reading a few posts on here was ... I must invest in a ESR meter and understanding the characteristics of capacitors is a good learning investment .
      Know thy enemy... with all the bad caps out there causing untold damage to our electronics I will be working on my knowledge base... Cheers.. Barry

Comment

I got the impression ESR is important and that caps can test OK on other paremeters but if ESR is wrong, they won't work.

I read that Bob Parker seems to have credit for inventing ESR meters. Has lots of info on ESR meter kits.
        http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Looking around at various ESR meter kits, I found Peak Electronics UK - fully built ESR meters. I got several of their meters and have found them really useful, since they measure a load of thing my Fluke multimeter won't do. I bought direct from Peak for a lot less money than I could find locally.
        http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_instruments.html

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am new and I can't start a new thread. I'm looking in changing some electrolytic capacitors on a Gigabyte P35-S3G, near ram. I've already replaced 2 of them, but two others gone bad and I'm thinking on replacing all of them with polymer capacitors. Then searching on the internet I came on ESR. I've read that they should have different capacity if you replace electrolytic ones with polymer.

My actual capacitors are 6.3V, 1000uF and I've found polymer capacitors with the same ratings, 6.3V, 1000uF and ESR 7 mOhms. Would that be good for my motherboard?

Description of the polymer capacitor.
          Code:
          Manufacturer: Nichicon
          Product Category: Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors
          RoHS: RoHS Compliant Details
          Product Type: Can
          Capacitance: 1000 uF
          Voltage Rating DC: 6.3 V
          Tolerance: 20 %
          ESR: 7 mOhms
          Termination Style: Radial
          Minimum Operating Temperature: - 55 C
          Maximum Operating Temperature: + 105 C
          Case Length: 12.5 mm
          Case Diameter: 10 mm
          Lead Spacing: 5 mm
          Operating Temperature Range: - 55 C to + 105 C
          Packaging: Bulk
          Product: Organic Polymer Aluminum - Radial Capacitors
          Series: R7
          Tradename: FPCAP

Comment

The following site is a good resource of ways to measure ESR, from manual methods with oscilloscope & function gen through DIY kits to commercial devices. Don't try to do it in-circuit, at least lift one leg of the capacitor under test.

Comment

Originally posted by Sai Peregrinus View Post
              The following site is a good resource of ways to measure ESR, from manual methods with oscilloscope & function gen through DIY kits to commercial devices. Don't try to do it in-circuit, at least lift one leg of the capacitor under test.
              http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html

It would have helped to include the URL, wouldn't it?

Comment

most of the instruments there are obsolete (like that ESR Micro v4.0 leading to who knows what website, I resell v5.0S/+ for like 3 years now) and there is no reason to unsolder every cap, that would be insane nightmare to do pretty much anything
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

On a related topic, ESL (Equivalent Series Inductance) which increases with case size which can reduce the usefulness of the capacitor to high slew-rate trensient loading - this parameter is typically not specified by manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors and I've read that in most cases, multiple electrolytic capacitors of small case size perform better than a single large case capacitor.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                  X