The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Cheap ebay score, Supermicro X7DCA-3. This isn't the mATX (X7DCA-L), this is an eATX. Unusual for the fact its a workstation board with an onboard SAS controller (Broadcom/LSI 1068E chipset, which is very solid). Those are usually the server versions. It was cheap, seller didn't know what he had....has 2x CPU's and 4 memory modules that he had no clue what they were....but for the price (a lowball offer that was accepted), I'll gamble the 'mystery CPU's & RAM'.... I have a SM eATX for this, or I wouldn't have bought it.
Finally got around to checking this one out. The mystery RAM was 8gb PC2-5300P, 4x 1gb sticks, and 2x 2gb sticks. CPU's are e5450, 3ghz/1333.

I set up a test bed to make sure it all worked, and to do some SAS testing with the onboard. Went well.

That's all for today....I don't have an eATX case readily available for this system, so it'll get mothballed until I come across something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9734.JPG (361.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9735.JPG (364.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg x7dca3_9736.JPG (322.3 KB, 196 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #1882
Dan81
BOOYAH!

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

PS2 SCPH-39003 PAL. Came with a few dead bugs inside, otherwise it works fine. Cleaned up and replaced heatsinks and it's working fine, aside from a dead CMOS battery.
Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3, AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 4GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, Seasonic SS-351HT 350W, AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, Delux MT375 case

Second rig:
ASUS K8N4-E, AMD Sempron 2800+, Manli Geforce 7300LE 256MB, 1GB DDR400, H-L DVD-RW, Pixelview TV Tuner, 80GB WDC HDD (IDE), Deer DR-A300ATX 300W, JNC RJA-52 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #1883
TechGeek
Computer Geek

City & State: Texas
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: HV: 7.2kV@60hZ LV: 122.5VAC@60hZ
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

APC Smart-UPS 1000- Needed batteries
Samsung ML-3750ND- Needs toner ($$$$$)
Advantech UNO-3072LA Industrial Computer- Needed a hard drive and a power supply
Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop- just old

That's all for now.

For computer parts, go to Newegg.

For electrical stuff(pushbuttons, capacitors, etc), use Digikey.

TVs repaired: Toshiba 32AV500U
Stereo Receivers brought back to life: 1(Fisher RS-1056)
Stereos/Stereo receivers to recap: Fisher RS-1056
TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #1884
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Ireland
My Country: Ireland
Line Voltage: 240V AC, 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
PS2 SCPH-39003 PAL. Came with a few dead bugs inside, otherwise it works fine. Cleaned up and replaced heatsinks and it's working fine, aside from a dead CMOS battery.
SNAP!

I got one too a couple of weeks ago. Was actually in a electronic waste cage, so technically it was a dumpster find I suppose.

Mine was a bit dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. A small part of the AV port is also broken, it's a plastic bit in the middle of the port that stops the metal pins from moving when the AV cable is inserted, don't know what it's called, it's like a tongue I suppose. About a quarter of the "tongue" is broken, but it seems to be displaying through a SCART cable ok.
tmcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #1885
Dan81
BOOYAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcw View Post
SNAP!

I got one too a couple of weeks ago. Was actually in a electronic waste cage, so technically it was a dumpster find I suppose.

Mine was a bit dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. A small part of the AV port is also broken, it's a plastic bit in the middle of the port that stops the metal pins from moving when the AV cable is inserted, don't know what it's called, it's like a tongue I suppose. About a quarter of the "tongue" is broken, but it seems to be displaying through a SCART cable ok.
Meh, I got a lot of my PS2s cheap and in varying states of functionality.

The worst one (next to this "bugged" v7 39003) was a version 4 SCPH-35004, which literally had its case broken in pieces and the PSU PCB was broken. You'd be amazed to know that the 35004 that was broken to hell and back is now working perfectly. I chuckled out the case and the PSU and reused some parts from a defunct 30004R (failed modchip install, I need a new soldering iron) along with a new 400C laser.

It came out pretty nice, and aside a few hiccups at the beginning of spinning the disc (which apparently are normal.), it runs all the games I have perfectly. Original laser was a god knows how old Sony KHS-400B that couldn't read anything. Luckily I had three PS2s to work with, with two being in working order. Here's what I did:

1. Swapped 400C from a unmodded 50003 into a modded (Modbo 4.0) 50003 silver
2. Moved the leftover 400C into the v4 and reprogrammed MECHACON EEPROM (it stores info about what type of laser it has to use)
3. Installed a spare working Sanyo SF-HD7 laser into the unmodded 50003 - looks kinda weird in there since it's the older open faced variant with metal frame as opposed to the newer closed face variant that uses a plastic frame.

Now all machines work and load games fine. As for the 39003, I managed to bring it to a better state - threw away a lot of stuff from it (crappy cube-shaped heatsink, original fan (IIRC it was a NMB fan) and metal plates (basically anything that had to do with metal) and whatever I was left I used medical spirit to wipe off bug crap from. It worked, although there's still a small bit of stench left (which I may cover with some deodorant, it's better that way and smells nicer.) but otherwise it's pretty clean now.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #1886
Dan81
BOOYAH!

Just bought a FastFame 8VTAA with a Duron 1GHz and of course a myriad of dead caps. Unsurprisingly, they were Canicon caps.

For some reason though, all SD-RAM boards I had lately were pretty picky about RAM, including this one. I eventually got it to POST with its original sticks for a total of 256MB RAM and a old trusty GF2 MX400 64MB GPU after I recapped the MB.

As for recapping the board, I used various caps I had around, as for a board like this it doesn't really matter what I use. Most of these caps were 3x UCC KZE, 2x Nichicon HM (0545 datecode - flip a coin.), 2x AsiaX caps (2014 datecode, not that bad), 1x Yang Chun (Saturn logo), 1x OST, 1x Sanyo WG and 2x G-Luxon near the AGP slot.

Probably not the best choices of caps but as long as it doesn't die and works fine with Windows 98 SE I'm more than happy. Will probably use it as a Voodoo 3 rig since it has a universal 4x slot.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #1887
Th3_uN1Qu3
Believe in

City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania

Quote:
For some reason though, all SD-RAM boards I had lately were pretty picky about RAM, including this one.
Oxidized contacts in the RAM slots most likely. Could use some brushing and your favorite plastic-friendly solvent.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #1888
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

picked up a supermicro SC743TQ-865B-SQ 4U eATX case cheap on ebay....what can I say, I just find system building to be quite therapeutic... I'll eventually sell some of these off....and its become a cheap hobby compared to what it used to be.

This isn't the actual, but its identical.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #1889
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Bellows Falls, Vermont
Line Voltage: 123-127V 61.5-63.5 Hz

Quote:

Premier LC-B400ATX 400W - 2005 datecode w/ 2002 caps.
Woah, WTF?

Core i7 Extreme "Bloomfield" 965

PNY GeForce GTX 960

Windows 7 SP1

SoundBlaster ZXR

Antec High Current Pro 1200 W

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #1890
Dan81
BOOYAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
Woah, WTF?
Yes, I was pretty confused by that. The whole PCB (and even casing) had a datecode of late 2005, but the caps inside had 2002 datecodes.

I didn't save the PCB though. I took the transformers since they were of real sizes (real 16,19 and ERL-35 transformer) and the rest of the PCB went into the trash.

The parts ended up in another Deer of the same configuration (I should mention the "B" variants of Deers have proprietary transformer orientations, so a normal ERL-35 transformer out of anything else than a Deer will NOT work.) that I am currently in the process of rebuilding into a decent ATX power supply.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #1891
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

^
They just used old stock............happens all the time.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #1892
dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA

A Goldstar (LG Precision) OS-9020A 20Mhz Analogue Oscilloscope for $29:

I suppose given how cheap used analogue oscilloscopes are these days (even the Tektronix scopes can regularly be found for <$150) it isn't an "amazing" deal, but still not bad when you consider what these cost new 20 years ago and the crappy 200Khz max diy handheld "scopes" you can find new in the same price range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1008.jpg (459.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1009.jpg (569.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1010.jpg (488.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1011.jpg (473.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1012.jpg (440.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1013.jpg (447.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1014.jpg (570.6 KB, 44 views)
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #1893
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon

Free scores for last week :

1 - One LG Flatron . without its Data cable . Why all people are always ready to give away an LCD but not its cable ? , maybe you'll find 100 used Hard disks and similar LCDs in my shop but not one single data cable .

2 - One HP NX8220 . At first test , the charger makes a high spark upon inserting . the giver tried to replace the inlet with another incompatible one , damaging lot of things around . A new one was reinserted and the circuitry were fixed .

3 - Two HGST hard disks 750 GB , with clicks and clanks . They were 90% repaired by spinrite and resized with free Easus Partition . Sounds good for storing datas .

4 - Two Acetek 550 watts power supplies , minor damages .

5 - One Satellite MX40 With hinges broken and no hard disk , the old ide type . I wonder if it is worthy anymore .

6 - Hp dv5 with the usual nvidia trouble . Mostly it will be for parts . I had enough with the married couple hp-nvidia , lol .

7 - One lenovo tablet with the usual inlet supply broken .
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #1894
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

In December I got a "nice" PC case (at least according to the seller) stuffed with various PSUs, optical drives, and floppy drives, all for $10 (was actually $1, but I didn't have any $1 or $5 bills, so I was like, F-it and gave him $10). I figured it was a decent score until I asked the seller if there were any bugs in it (bedbugs, roaches, etc.) He said, no, but that the case was left in his garage for a long time and they did have mice there. So needless to say, when I opened the case, I saw quite a bit of mouse droppings in it, along with possibly mice piss (maybe the case got wet at some point and that dissolved the mice piss??). Anyways, a "best/free cheap score" this was NOT, particularly the case (which I thought I could use for a test build right away).

However, there was one item in there that might have made this a worthy purchase: a 5.25" TEAC floppy drive. I've been looking for one of these for ages - not so much of a need, but more for curiosity's sake. I don't have any 5.25" floppies here, but I think I might have a few at my uncle's/grandmother's house. If memory serves me right, those should have some old DOS games on them. Curious to see if they still work after 20+ years in storage (that is, if I find them).

The other somewhat worthy items out of that package above were:
* A HEC Orion "585W" PSU (same as the old ThermalTake TR2-430W, but without any input filtering - which I do have on hand).

* IDE DVD-RW drive and a beige CD-RW drive.

As for the case.... I'm waiting until we get some warm weather so I can get the garden hose out and blast the case with some water and soap. Then will likely sand down the parts affected by the mice droppings (as there appears to be quite a bit of rust in that area - particularly the bottom of the case) and paint over with latex paint. And of course, that's only if the case doesn't seem to badly rusted (I still haven't inspected it fully, as it's outside under a tarp.) Reason I would like to try latex paint instead of spray paint is because I've never had good results with spray paint sticking in the past, especially over problematic areas that had rusted. I guess this is going to be another project, headed for the ghetto mod thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89
A Goldstar (LG Precision) OS-9020A 20Mhz Analogue Oscilloscope for $29:
Nice!
I'll take an analog scope like that for $30 any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
1 - One LG Flatron . without its Data cable . Why all people are always ready to give away an LCD but not its cable ? , maybe you'll find 100 used Hard disks and similar LCDs in my shop but not one single data cable .
Lol, sounds like my stash: quite a few LCD monitors, but not enough DVI or VGA cables to hook them all up.

Also reminds me of those low-end DMS-59 video cards that are everywhere on eBay and going for very cheap: why do the sellers think these cards are worth anything without the DMS-59 cables? They are not, because you can't hook them to anything. And buying a DMS-59 cable from another seller will run you about as much (if not more) than what the video card is worth - mostly due to shipping costs. There are only a few sellers out there that have realized that and ship their DMS-59 video cards with an adapter. Everyone else is just pulling out of surplus/scrap equipment and dumping on eBay without checking what they are dumping on there.

Quote:
6 - Hp dv5 with the usual nvidia trouble . Mostly it will be for parts . I had enough with the married couple hp-nvidia , lol .
Lol, I wonder if there is a repair shop in the world that has not seen one of these laptops.

Last edited by momaka; Yesterday at 01:14 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #1895
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Why all people are always ready to give away an LCD but not its cable ? , maybe you'll find 100 used Hard disks and similar LCDs in my shop but not one single data cable .
Ah, I have the opposite problem: having to remove (and discard) the cables that folks haven't removed from the kit! Always intricately wound around the base (even TIED to make their "falling off" less possible)

As far as "missing components", my biggest pet peeves are TV remotes, laptop power supplies and the wireless receivers for mice/keyboards (no doubt still plugged into a USB port, somewhere!)
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote