HP e-Vectra P2707T (Trailblazer board)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP e-Vectra P2707T (Trailblazer board)

This is a Small Form-Factor (about 10"(d)x9"(w)x3"(h)) machine with an all-in-one board made by FIC. It was working fine for a long time, then one day it started powering off within a minute of turning on. On opening it up i found a bunch of Choyo and I.Q. capacitors, none actually bulging. I took the chance and recapped it with a mix of Panasonic and Rubycon - it appears to have solved the problem for now; however, there are still a couple of 330/25 I.Q.s and whole lot of small (22-220uF) electrolytics which I didn't bother changing.

HP apparently replaces the board, even out-of-warranty, if there's a bulging capacitor - in my case, there was no bulging capacitor, so I recapped it myself. I wouldn't recommend recapping it unless there's no other alternative - it takes a long time, and some of the pins are near fine traces or on small isolated pads surrounded by traces or other power lands. You'll need a fine eye, a steady hand, good tools and a lot of patience to do this one. One thing that helps is that FIC used outlines that permit using either an 8mm or 10mm cap in some of the locations - this gives a wider range of capacitor choices, especially as there is height restriction due to the heat-sink and CDROM drive at 5 locations. All the 10v caps can be safely replaced by 6.3v; but the 6 x 1000/25 caps near the power section need to be 25v rated, since they filter the external power supply (19v, 3.16A).

I also flipped the fan so that it draws air into the case from the top, through a dust-filter, rather than expelling it - this should help in controlling the dust, and indirectly, the heat.

The (blurry) picture shows the unit after recapping:
    Attached Files

Re: HP e-Vectra P2707T (Trailblazer board)

I have one of these boxes which has demonstrated some classic symptoms. It frequently fails to power-on, and dumps out unexpectedly. There's a 1000uf/6.3v cap (Choyo) which has popped its plug and dumped froth close to the RAM slot, and all six of the 1000uf/25v caps near the PSU feed are showing substantial bulging of the vents.

I can locate replacement 1000/6.3v caps (on order ), but can't find anything like a 1000/25 at 10mm diameter - they're packed in very tightly in this small form factor case... I don't think I can shoehorn 12.5 or 15mm caps. What have you used for this bank of caps?
    Last edited by lickydog; 11-07-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I used Panasonic general-purpose M 1000uF/25V 85c 10x20mm Ir=850mA.

It's not the ideal replacement, but it was the only thing on hand that would fit and still have some durability. Since there are 6 of them in parallel, the ripple-current is a respectable 5+ amps max., which is adequate. The only issue is the 85c rating.

I'd probably look for a 25v Panasonic FJ if I were to do it again.

Comment

Why 25v?

Comment

I have sourced some Panasonic FM`s for such a system. AFAIR they where 820uF /25v 10mm.
          I have had no worries due to the reduced values, as i those caps are +-20 tolerance.
          Most good branded caps are in the +20% range.
          and even if not, 820uf wouldn`t hurt anyway.
          As already mentioned, the external PSu feeds 19v into this caps, so i think 16v caps be abused in this circuit (sure, a good caps would not explode, as they can handle in most cases a higher voltage margin).
          Last edited by gonzo0815; 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

>Why 25v?

As already mentioned, the external adapter supplies 19v to this rail, and the smallest standard cap voltage above this is 25v. I probably wouldn't push 16v caps to 19v in this application unless they're preformed and tested at 20v for at least a week without showing significant leakage current.

Comment

Working...
            X