Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Printers, Copiers, Scanners and other Imaging & Printing Devices
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
jacobtc

City & State: Aalborg
My Country: Denmark
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Nikon D700 repair experience?

I just received this camera from a family member, as it suddenly stopped working. I haven't done a lot of camera repair, especially not more advanced ones, such as shutter replacements, however there is a first time for everything

I have a difficult time troubleshooting this camera, as neither the mirror nor the shutter moves when taking a picture, why could this be happening? I don't want to go out and buy a new shutter replacement if that is not the problem.

I've uploaded a video of the problem here: https://youtu.be/XJ7Qt8PSOGc

Has anyone had a similar problem with a D700 or a similar camera that could chime in with suggestions?
jacobtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
Kg74

City & State: Edina, mn
My Country: Usa
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Nikon D700 repair experience?

The D700 is an old, but wonderful camera. Do you have any idea how many cycles on the shutter? Did it take a fall? Did it get wet? Did it, near its demise, start to have random black frames with no image? Does the rear display give you any other information? I see the "err" message on the top LCD.

It appears the shutter may be bad - assuming most of the questions above were answered in the yes. But take a look at this: https://dgrin.com/discussion/164022/...shutter-issues

I have replaced a few DSLR shutters - the last one on a D90. It was not very difficult. For $100-$150 I would replace the entire shutter unit. It is a very nice camera.

Lucky for you - look at this: https://www.ifixit.com/Document/989/.pdf

Last edited by Kg74; 07-10-2019 at 12:25 AM..
Kg74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
llonen
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: united kingdom
My Country: hampshire
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz / 110 VAC 50 Hz and 415 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Nikon D700 repair experience?

Looking through that manual there is a lot of glue, double sided stick tape and sponge holding that thing together, and I am kind of wondering if there is a tape and spongy kit to re assemble this.

Last edited by llonen; 07-18-2019 at 11:57 PM..
llonen is offline   Reply With Quote