Dimension 8400 (yes I searched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension 8400 (yes I searched)

I have a Dimension 8400 U7077 board that gives me the solid amber power light, no status lights, and the jet engine fan. My research points me toward bad nichion capacitors, but there is a trillion 470uf nichions on this board and I'm not willing to replace all those. There are some larger nichions, but none on the board are bulging or leaking. Which should I replace? The cap list from the previous 8400 thread does not match any Dimension 8400 board part numbers.

Re: Dimension 8400 (yes I searched)

Thanks to C-Net's archive, I found this article that more specifically identifies the capacitors as the black and gold-colored low-ESR (equivalent series resistance) aluminum electrolytic cylinders about an inch in length and marked HN(M) and HM(M) on the side with a letter "X" stamped on the top"

http://news.cnet.com/PCs-plagued-by-...3-5942647.html

Comment

Replace ALL Nichicon HM or HN caps with a date codes before 2005. Handle HN/HM caps after 2005 on a case by case basis...some might be bad but are much less likely to be bad. After 2007, I have seen none out of spec.

Date codes are in the form XYYZZ where X is a letter, YY is the 2 digit year and ZZ is the week.

For example, H0945 is on one of the caps in my stash indicating that the cap was made in week 45 of 2009.

Comment

I have an 8400 in the shop now. It's got a bunch of bad HM, HN, KZG, and KZJ. So, watch out for KZG and KZJ as well with a "Y" stamp on the top.

Comment

i have a G5 mainboard here covered in bad HN - 2004 coded.

Comment

You are getting good advice and correct info here.
            If you aren't willing to replace them then it's time to scrap the board and build a new system.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I have a Dell 8400 with 5 - 1000 mic nichions and one 2200 mic that are bulged on top and I have them out for replacement.

Should I recap the whole board or which ones besides the bad ones?
              Richard

Comment

On the 8400, replace all HM, HN, KZG, KZJ. Other series can generally stay. That board will likely have some 85 degree caps, which can dry out in rare cases. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it happens. It's impossible to say what's where as the manufacturers will use different brand capacitors depending on their stock levels at the time.
                Last edited by yyonline; 07-24-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Yes. Agree.

Those 85C caps.
                  Intel -sometimes- uses 85C for the small caps since at least socket 370 [PIII].
                  I know they did it on some socket 775 boards too, and I think they still do it.
                  It's an issue one needs to at least check for but not supper common.
                  If the board was in a hot case or has a lot of hours on it then definitely check them.
                  I posted photos of 85C 4mm & 5mm Nichicons bloated on one each Intel P3 and Intel P4 boards a while ago.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

I have a dell 8400 with bad 2200uf 6.3v HN, I found a replacement for this one. Can I replace [100uf 25v HN] with [Rubycon ZLG 100uf 25v 6mm] and I can't find the recommended replacement for [470uf 10v VR]. Forum says replace with [Rubycon MCZ 470uF 16v 8mm] but can't find it.

Comment

I think you need to read the 100uF again.
                      HN series doesn't go up to 25v and would be over-kill for that application.
                      The small uF caps are for EMI vice Ripple from the PSU.
                      That said a ZLG will work there even though it's probably a little bit of over-kill too.
                      A 16v cap would also be fine there BTW. - 16v is a common value in that app.

MCZ is a ridiculous amount of over-kill for a VR which isn't even a low ESR series.
                      A 470uf 10v VR is rated for 350 mA of Ripple Current.
                      Any 470uF 6.3v/10v/16v that is rated for that much or more Ripple Current will work.
                      [10v mobo caps are on 5v or less so a 6.3v cap is fine.]

Please enter your location in your profile. - It saves having to ask.
                      Where are you buying from?
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

I think you need to read the 100uF again.

Yes, the 100uF 25V is VR(M)
                        Thank You for your fast reply PCBONEZ

Comment

Nichicon VZ is a direct replacement for VR but they are rated for 105C to VR's 85C.
                          Chemicon LXZ and Panasonic FC are better rated and usually easy to find.
                          There are actually a lot of options in that range.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Once again thanks for your free information. I'm getting ready to order them from Badcap.com

Comment

Badcaps.net

Comment

The VR 100uF is 5mm and BNC only has 6mm
                                The VR 470uF is 6.3mm and BCN only has 8mm
                                -
                                Will larger diameter caps fit?
                                -
                                If not you need to look at digikey.com or mouser.com - if you are in the USA.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

There is only 1 470uF 10v VR that I will have to leave the leads long and put shrink tube on and lay it down.

Comment

Give that and what is here these would be what I'd use.
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=153
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=119
                                    You said you have the others figured out already.
                                    Is that correct or need help with those?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Yes the others are no problem. This is for 2200uf 6.3v HN ---
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=32
                                      I'm all set thanks to PCBONEZ.

Comment

I have another dell 8400 with 1 bad cap. The cap has no name, but has gold and black markings, here is whats on it.
                                        4n R(3)
                                        05 degrees C (m) 105 degrees C
                                        820uf - 4v - KZV
                                        the size is about 15mm x 8mm
                                        Can anyone suggest a replacment
                                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X