Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe recap Epox 8K3A+

Hi I have an Epox 8K3A+, I was thinking about replacing the capacitors
    as the ones on it (GSC 2200uF 10v) are all blown bar 1 about to blow any day soon, with brown crusty electrolyte all over them. It has never been overclocked but it has had some usage.

I mainly use my PC's for gaming or rendering they're left on overnight 7 days a week normally.

I'm in the UK London region, I've looked around, Farnell seems to stock the right replacements but the minimum delivery is more than the boards worth.

The computer still works ok but the CPU Vcore voltage fluctuates from 1.5-1.8 volts constantly. I think probably my Tagan PSU is the only thing keeping the system going atm.

I'll add a photo later, a good example of blown capacitors.
    Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Re: Maybe recap Epox 8K3A+

Originally posted by Fizzycapola
    I'm in the UK London region, I've looked around, Farnell seems to stock the right replacements but the minimum delivery is more than the boards worth.
    Depends... what's the board worth to you? upgrading aside, finding a good low milage (or recapped) socketA motherboard could prove to be a hit 'n' miss affair

I've found Farnell's quite 'pricey' in the past, and thus alternatively sourced components from SamXon (via Big Pope) or davmax (locally), there's also a supplier called 'waifong' out of Hong Kong too (who carries Rubycon etc.), I'm sure one of our European members will have a better idea of where you could alternatively source components
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Well, i am very pleased with RS-components. The Panasonic FM caps should be fine for your board, if there are more than 4 in the VRM unit`s output. The stated price is usually per packing unit, in most cases 5pcs. If you want some very low ESR caps, the only source is IMHO BigPope and Waifong (Samxon GC? or Rubycon MCZ).

Comment

Click: Larger Picture Blow GSC Capacitors on EP-K83A+

Replacement options appreciated, cheap but working is acceptable as I only
        value the whole board at around $15. Interested as to where I could replace the
        10v caps with 6.3v as they seem much more available and half the price of 16v.

There are only 4 caps in VRM? so use best quality for these?
        Last edited by Fizzycapola; 10-31-2006, 06:19 AM.
        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Yeah, you can go higher rated voltage just not lower, so long as the capacitance is equal, in the past I've used 10v units often to replace 6.3v units I couldn't source with great success... I just wouldn't recommend the use of general purpose capacitors
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

ehe thanks taz I was actually asking if I could replace the broken 10v with lower voltage 6.3, not by choice but because I can't source any 10mm 10v/16v caps.

This is a quote from yanz of the components I'm needing - but I can only source 12.5mm 10/16v or 10mm 6.3v caps from local suppliers.
            Originally posted by yanz
            ep 8k3a
            2200uF 10V 10mm [13] GSC
            1500uF 6.3V 10mm [2] GSC
            1200uF 6.3V 10mm [6] GSC
            1000uF 6.3V 8mm [6] Teapo

-> ~$9
            I've decided afterall I may buy from Farnell uk, just buy more than I need and sell on the excess. The choices would be Panasonic FM or Rubycon ZL.
            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

The 2200u 10V can be replaced by 6.3V. The only system volatges around this area are 12V, 5V and 3.3V. Obviously these caps are not used on the 12V supply. Typically poor quality caps are uprated to 10V to achieve a lower ESR.

You can get all you need from member Big Pope at a good price and he will airmail to you.
              Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
              Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
              160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
              160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
              Samsung 18x DVD writer
              Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
              33 way card reader
              Windows XP Pro SP3
              Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
              17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
              HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply davmax, thats what I thought but wasn't sure. Hopefully I should have the board recapped this weekend, if it works I'll post pics, if not then no post for a while lol.
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Ok it's all complete. There were 15 caps in total that needed replacing,
                  I left the remaining Teapo branded caps as they all seemed in very good
                  condition still and my soldering iron tip fractured near the end of the soldering
                  anyhow.

A last look at the offending caps:

Bad technique on the first 4 capacitors left me with holes full of twisted metal:

Half way point:

Sliding home the Rubycon ZL's:

The tall ones are 6.3v 2200uF 10mm, the short fat ones are 10v 2200uF
                  12.5mm and don't actually fit if placed side by side. At the far distance are
                  the 6.3v 1500uF 10mm. They're all replacing the same uF rated GSC's. I didn't
                  want to increase the rating as I don't intend overclocking and didn't want any
                  of the drawbacks of increasing uF that some talk about.

Finally Complete! (click for larger image)

A bit of testing and closer inspection of broken soldering iron tip:

It won't be heating two points at once anymore like that!

System seems pretty stable now. With one stick of RAM the Vcore hardly moves at all, in windows it's pretty much rock solid. With two RAM modules
                  there is still some fluctuation but depending on conditions, although the
                  second ram module I've installed does have pin damage which has been repaired with conductive silver paint.

Vcore stability test results in Windows, using S2KCtl:

FSB DISCONNECTED 128/128

HIGH

LOW

FSB DISCONNECTED 64/64

HIGH

LOW

FSB CONNECTED

HIGH

LOW

On the whole a very good improvement from the erratic 1.5-1.8v constant fluctuations caused by the blown GSC's.
                  Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Ok it's approaching a month since changing the capacitors and am quite happy that
                    the system is happy with the capacitor transplant. I got a refund on the soldering iron so the whole cost of this endeavour is looking good. Still have
                    lots of spare parts enough to transplant the board a few times more using
                    my backup soldering iron.

With the broken ram module installed (previously suffered voltage problem and caught
                    fire but reports ok in testing) I had a crash where the display went off but I
                    could still hear sound from the game I was playing for about 15-20 seconds (quite
                    noticably long time) before the machine reset. If this sounds familiar to anyone I
                    would be interested in opinions on this.

I've removed the broken RAM module and running on 512mb now and no problems
                    even with long gaming sessions (24 hours+). Voltage still has some fluctuation
                    (~0.05v) (especially with S2KCtl running - maybe this is bad for capacitors? -constantly changing CPU wattage).
                    Last edited by Fizzycapola; 11-28-2006, 03:53 PM.
                    Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Extreme voltage fluctuations under load is also indicative of an ensuing PSU problem

Swapping out the PSU with a spare, or stripping down your original to check it's capacitors is a worthwhile endeavour
                      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I'll do that soon Taz, warranty I think is void now on the Tagan 480w PSU anyway, I think I'll want it working at it's best for my new quad core system so going to inspect it thoroughly for any component upgrade opportunities.

Just back to report the systems still working good, been on mostly 24 hours a day, never needed rebooting, crashed once on testing bioses extreme performance setting after ~40 hours @ 100% LOAD, CPU voltage currently
                        undervolted for the purpose of heat reduction from 1.75 to 1.625 Vcore fluctuation between no load and 100% 1.64 - 1.616. 2 RAM modules being used again graphics card feature FASTWRITES turned off in motherboard bios setting and performance set
                        to fast instead of Turbo.

Maybe if I'd replaced all the caps I could've got better performance. Maybe I will in
                        future when this machine goes back to being a backup machine, I know I intend to that and a good bath to get all the dust off.
                        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Ammendment:
                          Previous quotes for VC fluctuation particularly 0.05 wrong wording used, fluctuation since recapping is commonly negligable or <=0.01v, but voltage drop from idle to load is approximately 0.035 no matter which PSU used.

Using Antec Smartpower 350W from all full load to idle results in system reboot/power failure.
                          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Finally complete: Motherboard no longer has ANY crappy cappies!

Diary:
                            Replaced Teapo 1200uF to Rubycon ZL 2200uF
                            Replaced Teapo 1000uF to Rubycon ZL 1000uF
                            Repaced Teapo 1000uF to Used Teapo 1200uF (Why did I do this? too many fumes?)
                            Result Maybe Unstable... probably those burnt out Teapo's haha, all removed...

Replaced everything with exact replacement Rubycon ZL, Panasonic FM, Nichicon HD. Now the board is ALL Rubycon, Panasonic and Nichicon! - luckily the very small caps were already Panasonic.

Top of caps around Add-in slots insulated to prevent possible short ciruiting with some add-in card components rubbing on the metal cap tops.

Motherboard mounted partially with smaller head screws where the head was near tracks with larger heads, and I found the missing brass spacer so all spacers in place now. Small areas subjected to repeated heating and possible track weakening reinsultated with tape.

Replaced some caps on add-in cards with mixed 105oC Panasonics.
                            My TV card is now ALL Rubycon ZLH! and 4% silver solder on inputs.

System was left to burn in for 20 hours. With MBProbe calibrated and set shut down given 6% voltage change on any voltage.

Final result: (voltage stability)

All voltages appear to operate within 2%!!! now!!!, Or less than 1% disregarding Vcore and 12v. I've never had a PC thats hasn't required atleast 5% tolerance warning, even brand new PC's, this is a good sign.

Maybe now only better can be had by improving PSU (Fuhiyyu) and mains voltage (all over the place usually ).

I feel myself become a bit obssesed with this. Atleast I feel more skilled now anyway I've learnt so much from this forum, I knew pretty much nothing about anything to start with.
                            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Pictorial of above:

Heres how things looked, I didn't have the right capacitors so I just bodged things together it was nasty!

Waking up the day after I realise the madness of my actions and remedy...

Thing looking the way they should...

Must not forget to prevent possible short circuits, VGA card components are perfectly alligned to short circuit on the top of these capacitor, which would probably nuke components irrepairably, so some random tape on the top to be safe than sorry...
                              Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
                              X